Export thread

PayPal and computer safety

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Well... I want to buy Minecraft, but is PayPal only, I am sort paranoid in using credit card to buy stuff on-line... so well, any word of advice in safety? How to know ifthe computer is safe to use PayPal?

klew

klew

Could you get a pre-paid credit card and use that?

Dave

Dave

I have PayPal tied directly in to my checking account. I am that sure of their safety. Look at it this way - parsing money through credit cards and the like is what they do. If they mess it up they are basically out of business. And if you have issues just let me know. They are based in Omaha and I have some close friends in upper management there!

Matt²

PP is a very good company when used properly. I have so far had no massively negative issues with them. My only beef is, they can take money out instantly but take 5-7 BUSINESS days to put it in.. (which at most can take a week and a half)

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Never had a problem with Paypal and like Dave I have it tied to my checking account, that way my bank will simply cover me if anything goes wrong

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I feel the same way as Green_Lantern, and I also want to buy Minecraft but feel uneasy with Pay Pal.

What I'll probably do is give the money to one of my friends with paypal accounts and then have them buy it for me!

drifter

drifter

If I'm feeling worried about the security of a site I want to make a purchase from, I use a virtual account number generator. I think most card issuers have those, do they not?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Never had a problem with Paypal itself, have had a problem with the seller at the other end. Paypal got my money back.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

As far as I know, Paypal is extremely secure and has worked hard at keeping it that way. They bought Verisign specifically so they could implement their security procedures into their own systems.

That said, I have heard horror stories from people who relied on Paypal to manage their own web-income, i.e., they take forever to credit accounts, and if you lose access for whatever reason (say, your account got mistakenly blocked because of a fraud charge investigation), Paypal makes it ludicrously difficult to verify your identity and regain access to your money.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I just bought minecraft with paypal. Took about three minutes altogether. No problems whatsoever.

However, I hate you all now, for making me buy minecraft. I'm going to miss you guys.