Pez's Most Wanted – upcoming contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
Contest Thread is up! Go here: Cosplay Bounty - Dress Like a Fool, Win Portal 2

If anyone is wondering why the Good Cosplay Thread has been quiet for a few days, I've been working on a contest. You see, as much awesome cosplay as I've found for the Good Cosplay Thread, there are still some characters I've never seen. Characters that I really want to see portrayed. So, to get those costumes made or found, I'm setting up a contest, with two ways to enter.

On February 22nd I'm going to start revealing the characters on my bounty list. Each day, from the 22nd - 28th, at various times, I'll reveal new names on the list. The characters are from some of my favorite games, comics, movies and books, both recent and nostalgic. I don't think I've seen any of them cosplayed before, and I can't find them with a quick Google image search.

What I want you to do is make costumes of these awesome characters, or find photos of people that already have. In return, I offer these games:

Grand Prize: To be revealed on Feb 22nd (I will say it's on PC/Mac via Steam)

To be eligible for the Grand Prize, you'll need to make a costume from the list and submit a photo of yourself in costume and holding a fan-sign for Halforums.com. (No photoshopping, please.)

Don't feel like doing anything real world? Well, you can't get the awesome Grand prize, but I've still got some other nice stuff:
Runner-Up Prizes: Humble Indie Bundle 1 & 2 (PC/Mac/Linux via Wolfire Games, but also
redeemable on Steam)
Zeno Clash (PC via Steam)
Plants Vs Zombies GOTY (PC/Mac via Steam)
to be revealed (PC/Mac via Steam)

Anyone who can find or make a pic of the bountied characters will be eligible for the Runner-Up Prizes.

How will you enter? On February 22nd I'll start a new thread and you'll get to post your pics there. Submissions will be accepted as soon as the first characters on the list are revealed, and the deadline will be sometime in April (I can't determine a firm date yet, but I'll try to narrow it down soon. I want to allow as much time as possible, without bumping into an uncertain deadline).

Entries will be judged on:
- Overall impression and ease of identifying the character
- Degree of difficulty (some costumes will be much easier to make than others)
- Quality of the costume
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Quality of the photo (both technical and artistic merits)
- Bonus Points for props, telling a story with the photo and smiling (even out of character)

Nudity will not be allowed. Any entry that would need a NSFW tag will be disqualified.

Right now I'm the only one I know will be judging, but I would like offers to help judge from those who are willing to forgo prize eligiblity. No need to sign up now, you can wait to find out what the Grand Prize is.

My apologies to AshburnerX, he suggested some characters for the bounty, but I found all three pretty quickly via a search. One wasn't what I'd call “good”, but that's not a requirement to enter this contest. Hopefully we'll get enough interest that the winner will actually be good, but if all I get is lazy entries, then may the best of the half-assed tries win!

figmentPez

Staff member
Some hints on the characters:
- A cranky and mysterious waitress
- A big hearted lottery winner
- An urban fashion disaster
- A space hippie
- Two different mad scientists in colorful glasses
... and over 20 others, from more than a dozen games, movies, books and comics.

figmentPez

Staff member
I guess people are holding their breath in anticipation!

I'll say this about the Grand Prize: I'd love to play a game online with the winner.

I'm trying to figure out the mad scientists! First thing that came to mind was muppets, but Beaker doesn't wear glasses, so.......

figmentPez

Staff member
Vague details are vague
Intentionally so. I think you people are pretty darn smart. I want things to sound as interesting as possible, without giving much of a chance at figuring out the characters ahead of time.

If someone really cared, I think there is enough information about the Grand Prize to figure it out, but I could be wrong. There might be other games that also fit the general profile.

I can probably think of a few of those... at least one of them seems kinda obvious, and I can only think of two scientists with colorful glasses on the internet. I just don't want to say them in case I turn out right.

figmentPez

Staff member
How about those scientists from ATHF? I forget their names.. But they wear glasses!
I'm not a fan of ATHF, so it's not them. It's not Dr. Insano or Dr. Horrible either (I've seen lots of cosplay of both). Actually, I'm not sure either of my picks are actually insane, and one of them may not technically be a scientist. They've both got some funky eyewear though, and are inventors that sure look crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.