Photoshop expert needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

Sorry, got a headache.. the black pattern overlaying the colored rainbow gradiant

Okay, so open up Photoshop and start a new file. For picture dimensions, it depends on how big you want the squares to be. For now, let's say you want a 10x10 pixel canvas size. Also, be sure to set background contents to transparent instead of white.

Next, use the pencil tool to draw out two squares diagonal to each other, so you should now have two black squares and two transparent squares.

Go to Edit>Define Pattern. A dialogue box should pop up where you can name the pattern, then hit okay. You're now basically all set.

Open up whatever picture you want to add it to. Start a new layer above it, and select the flood fill tool. Make sure that up near the top of the toolbar you have Pattern selected instead of Foreground. Click on the box next to it; the pattern you just made should be in there, now select it.

I think that should do it. I'm currently using CS2, but I assume it should be pretty much the same across most versions of Photoshop.

Urg, texture effects, not my strong suit. Well, this is my best guess.

First, another layer above the artwork. Then create the basic texture, using: a texture file, one of Photoshop's brushes, or using a custom brush. I'm guessing he used a custom brush to paint the texture. Once you're happy with the texture pattern, set the layer's blending mode to Multiply (or whatever effect you're looking for) and adjust opacity accordingly. Looks like maybe he used more than one color for the texture layer, or used two different texture layers, but it's tough to say. This kind of thing is, I think, largely a matter of trial and error until you're happy with where you end up. Sorry if that's not particularly helpful, but it's all I gots.

Thanks Drifter. It gives me a starting point. From there, like you said, it's trial and error. Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.