Ponyo (no spoilers yet...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Kiki's delivery service in both english and japanese with subtitles, and I enjoyed the subtitled version better. I also enjoyed Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with subtitles better than the english version.

But they've got an interesting cast voicing Ponyo - if you see it, let me know if they did the voicing well so I can decide whether to see it in the theater, or wait for the bluray.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss Ponyo in general, please spoiler tag things on the first page (once people start posting on the second page I'll mark the whole thread as spoilers and you can post away without tagging).

-Adam

G

Gill Kaiser

I always find dubs to be stilted, with very, very few exceptions. Subs are the way to go 99% of the time.

Miyazaki movies get Pixar dubs. They're usually good except when they add shit, like extra lines for Jiji in Kiki, or the pirate brothers saying more stupid crap in Castle in the Sky.

Seeing Ponyo tomorrow.

I'll probably have to wait till DVD to see this one... the person I usually go to see kids stuff with (my mother) doesn't want to see it. She instead wants to go see G-Force. I told here there was no way in hell I was going to see that bullshit and now she's mad :eek:rly:

Hey there, gang. I just saw Ponyo.

First of all, to stienman's question, the voice cast worked nicely as chosen.

Secondly, this was another great story as brought to us by Hayao Miyazaki. One of the more interesting things I noticed, though, was a slight change to the normal Ghibli animation style. Here, the backgrounds and other such elements are done more with watercolors, allowing for a fluidity that fits with a story involving the sea.

O

Olorin

I saw it a few months ago in a Belgian theater in Japanese with Dutch subs. Very sweet and beautifully animated. The only thing that annoyed me was that the subs were white without a black outline, so they were sometimes very hard to read during bright scenes.
[spoiler:2ik8y9x7]Hammu![/spoiler:2ik8y9x7]

AshburnerX said:
I'll probably have to wait till DVD to see this one... the person I usually go to see kids stuff with (my mother) doesn't want to see it. She instead wants to go see G-Force. I told here there was no way in hell I was going to see that bullshit and now she's mad :eek:rly:
Couldn't you go by yourself? I do that all the time to movies others don't want to see.

escushion said:
AshburnerX said:
Couldn't you go by yourself? I do that all the time to movies others don't want to see.
No car, no license (though I'm working on it.) I was pretty fucked up in high school, so I didn't get my license at 18. I've been doing alot better lately though, so I've been getting some driving lessons.

I saw Ponyo last night and it was very uplifting and refreshing!!! I woke up this morning to my boyfriend singing the song at the end. And then I gushed for almost 5 minutes about how cute her red dress was and how cute the movie was! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

W

wana10

i liked the movie all except for one thing in the dub. now i'm not anti dub unless it's a horrendous dub, which this wasn't, but it did follow one more recent trend that i hate with a passion. why do they feel the need to leave a couple of japanese words in a translation? every time sousuke mentions his teacher he says sensei, why not teacher? both have two syllables and similar mouth movements. later he calls someone toki-san and it's the only time in the entire movie a person suffix is used...why? why not just say ms/mrs toki? in the original japanese he calls all the old women name-san, so why leave just this one?

anywho, other than that i loved the movie. it was cute and adorable and heart-warming in every way. and i really want my own candle powered boat now...even though i hate the water >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.