Export thread

Potential summer awesomeness.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Soooo, I'm talking to my sister today, and she mentions that a local band lost their ukulele player. They're a really great folksy, americana band that tours Europe in the summer. Stacey said I should talk to them about trying out.

My arguments against:

1. I've only been playing about a year
2. It would push back my graduation date

My sister's arguments for:

1. All the girls in the band were new to their instruments and learned together. The melodies are all pretty simple.
2. the university will still be there next year
3. Europe for free. *smacks me on the back of the head*

So, nothing's actually happened yet. I've been chatting with one of my sister's friends who is in the band. But man... this might be kind of cool. I'm really thinking about trying out. I've been trying to learn their songs anyway.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Come to Barcelona!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I *do* think they go to Spain.

So far it's just a thought, but man... it's sounding cooler and cooler.

Wahad

Wahad

Oh man that sounds like a plan CJ. Hell, if you want to compromise, you can be their touring ukelele player and they can find somebody else when you return so it won't interfere with your studies.

Even so I'd go for it if I were you.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Do it, bundle of sticks!

Wasabi Poptart

What an incredible opportunity! Do EEEET!!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dammit, CG, make your sister smack the back of your head again!

Rob King

Rob King

Exciting!

Don't suppose they need a horribly unskilled Accordion player, do they? :p

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

I'd go for it. Once in a lifetime opportunity and indeed, Uni will still be there next year.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Finland. NOW!!

Dusty668

Do EEEET!!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Ok, ok, but my European friends had better make a solid effort to come in the off-chance that I *do* make it in. The band is called "The Figs."

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Here's one of their songs. I do love them so... they played my sister's wedding!

Dusty668

Let me know if you get near Charlotte NC too!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Oh, believe me, if this really does end up happening, you guys will have all the information. Seems a little too good to be true, but the music's all simple enough to learn before May, and if they're having trouble finding someong... this might just actually work out. *trying not to get too excited*

Rob King

Rob King

Tell them to come to Newfoundlaaaaaand!

I talked to a guy once who thought Newfoundland was in Europe. Is that enough to make you come? :p

Cajungal

Cajungal

Tell them to come to Newfoundlaaaaaand!

I talked to a guy once who thought Newfoundland was in Europe. Is that enough to make you come? :p
Newfoundland's not in Europe?

Please, PLEASE know that I'm kidding.

You should play your accordion for us. :D

Rob King

Rob King

My camcorder is out on loan, but maybe I will when I get it back. I don't really even know a full piece yet, but I guess that could be motivation to improve.

Cajungal

Cajungal

My camcorder is out on loan, but maybe I will when I get it back. I don't really even know a full piece yet, but I guess that could be motivation to improve.[/QUOTE]

Hell yes! Accordion's one of my favorite instruments.

Dusty668

Europe? Ain't that part of Newfoundland or sumtin?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I heard Europe was a pretty big country.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Do it :)

I had the opportunity to play for Disney Tokyo, and never took it, and regret it like a sonofabitch now that I'm too old and settled to do it :(

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Don't do it, if you do, you will be wandering the earth having adventures....

LordRendar

LordRendar

Hmm...the band reminds me of the group "Katzenjammer".
you guys gonna visit Hamburg?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Free trip and you're considering saying no?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Well whaddaya know... the band sounds damn good. Just sayin' ;)

Also, gonna be there for sure if you gals come to Finland. Heck, come to Turku! ^^

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Europe at this age > a single push of your graduation.

It's really a no brainer.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

The goggled she-demon speaketh ye truth.

Missed ya, you crazy thing, you...

@Li3n

@Li3n

Heck, come to Turku! ^^
I've always wondered, is it just a coincidence or does that name have anything to do with the Turkish people?!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Heck, come to Turku! ^^
I've always wondered, is it just a coincidence or does that name have anything to do with the Turkish people?![/QUOTE]

Even less than you folks eating their country every Thanksgiving.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Heck, come to Turku! ^^
I've always wondered, is it just a coincidence or does that name have anything to do with the Turkish people?![/QUOTE]

Even less than you folks eating their country every Thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]

While we love nothing more then to ritualistically ravage their country each year for historical reasons you got the wrong continent there sport.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Heck, come to Turku! ^^

Even less than you folks eating their country every Thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]

While we love nothing more then to ritualistically ravage their country each year for historical reasons you got the wrong continent there sport.[/QUOTE]

But you gotta admit, it's a fair mistake in a predominantly American forum.

Also, don't call me sport, chum.

@Li3n

@Li3n

One would think non americans would stand out in a american majority forum...

And don't call me chum, mate.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Well, we haven't really discussed your nationality, have we?

Also, don't call me... well, actually... okay, mate's good in my books, old cheese.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My best friend's nephew joined a pop band for a tour. When his parents learned that he might end up going on a national tour. They packed his bags, his dad repaired the van, and they told him University will be there if this does not work out.

I hope you find that level of support.

And the boys' mothers got together and gave them a large bowl full of condoms.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Also, don't call me... well, actually... okay, mate's good in my books, old cheese.
Seeing how Chaz even got a thread on the subject (at least when it comes to teh continent) hall of shamed i think we did... fellow.

Chazwozel

Seeing how Chaz even got a thread on the subject (at least when it comes to teh continent) hall of shamed i think we did... fellow.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get it locked. You did. Moron. That's the thread that North Ranger decided to unleash his premenstrual fury on me. I didn't get it locked.

France still sucks.

Philosopher B.

That clip of the band playing is pretty sweet. Good luck on trying out for the band! Seems like a pretty rad opportunity should it work out. :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, the 'free trip' part was a no-brainer. What stopped me really was my lack of experience with a band.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The only way to get experience is to do it.

Almost everyone (except the super outgoing, I guess) has the nerves when first starting out. The more you do it, and the more you play in front of people, the better you'll get at it.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The only way to get experience is to do it.
^ This

@Li3n

@Li3n

What stopped me really was my lack of experience with a band.
Hello Catch-22...

Seeing how Chaz even got a thread on the subject (at least when it comes to teh continent) hall of shamed i think we did... fellow.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get it locked. You did. Moron. That's the thread that North Ranger decided to unleash his premenstrual fury on me. I didn't get it locked.

France still sucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i'm sure that that's totally the reverse of the reaction you where expecting when you posted there... that crazy NR and his bipolar posting habits...

But yeah, France does suck... and not just because they helped you get your independence...

Rob King

Rob King

But yeah, France does suck... and not just because they helped you get your independence...
Now, correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am because unless it somehow relates to Hait, I know very little of French history) but wasn't that before the French Revolution? It just seems odd to me that the French, who take so much pride in their revolution and their republic, would still be taking credit for the actions of their monarchy.

That said, a lot of Canadians still talk about how 'we' burned down the White House, when technically it was the British. But even so, we didn't have a revolution, so maybe that's valid.

Not trying to start a fight, or anything. I know how things can get around here. But I was just wondering what that's about.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Napoleon was the one that sold Louisiana to America, to fund the war against the rebels in Haiti. Haiti was a fabulously wealthy holding of the French Empire. They planned to fight it much longer. The slaves were not citizens so they were not entitled to the liberties that the French fought for.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Yes Rob, the the Americans had their revolution before the French had theirs. Depending on how you look at history, there may be an argument that the American Revolution helped inspire the numerous revolutions that happened in France and all over Europe at the end of the 18th and early 19th Centuries.

Rob King

Rob King

I was under impression that the final force that Napoleon sent to Haiti (under his brother in law, who's name I cannot remember) had a dual-purpose mission: retake Saint-Domingue (Haiti), and then proceed to Louisiana where they were to bolster/expand France's holdings there.

Of course, they never made it that far. But I thought that was how it went down, and Louisiana was only sold after it became clear that not enough soldiers survived Toussaint Louverture to make a difference there.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that before the French Revolution? It just seems odd to me that the French, who take so much pride in their revolution and their republic, would still be taking credit for the actions of their monarchy.

That said, a lot of Canadians still talk about how 'we' burned down the White House, when technically it was the British. But even so, we didn't have a revolution, so maybe that's valid.

Not trying to start a fight, or anything. I know how things can get around here. But I was just wondering what that's about.[/QUOTE]

Fun fact about european countries... they're not made up of as various ethnicities as NA countries, so the leadership arrangement at one time doesn't actually preclude a people from seeing events their ancestors took part in as not tehir own...

Yes Rob, the the Americans had their revolution before the French had theirs. Depending on how you look at history, there may be an argument that the American Revolution helped inspire the numerous revolutions that happened in France and all over Europe at the end of the 18th and early 19th Centuries.
Actually bankrupting the treasury by helping the rebels against Britain (+ other wars) and doing some really stupid financial stuff was probably one of the main reasons for the French revolution...

And plenty of the ideas used by the US came from french philosophers... you guys did show them it can be done though.

Rob King

Rob King

Fun fact about european countries... they're not made up of as various ethnicities as NA countries, so the leadership arrangement at one time doesn't actually preclude a people from seeing events their ancestors took part in as not tehir own...
Right. 'Credit' isn't the right word. Sorry. I guess what I'm saying is that it strikes me as weird that you would take pride in the actions of a government that was overturned so shortly after the action took place.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Actually bankrupting the treasury by helping the rebels against Britain (+ other wars) and doing some really stupid financial stuff was probably one of the main reasons for the French revolution...
That's why I qualified my statement by saying helped to inspire. There were certainly other factors.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Right. 'Credit' isn't the right word. Sorry. I guess what I'm saying is that it strikes me as weird that you would take pride in the actions of a government that was overturned so shortly after the action took place.[/QUOTE]

Why do you ppl keep thinking i'm french?

That's why I qualified my statement by saying helped to inspire. There were certainly other factors.
They way i see it the whole thing had been brewing for a while, you guys just got there first... it all started with the Enlightenment etc.

Rob King

Rob King

Right. 'Credit' isn't the right word. Sorry. I guess what I'm saying is that it strikes me as weird that you would take pride in the actions of a government that was overturned so shortly after the action took place.
Why do you ppl keep thinking i'm french?[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean you specifically. I meant it in a thoroughly inclusive, nonspecific way.

I figured you weren't French when you referred to the French as 'they.'

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well the saying they take pride is a bit of an assumption... it's probably more like they acknowledge it's something they did as a people.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Yeah, nice. Anyways, Cajun may be coming to Europe, wich is a cool place to visit.

Cajungal

Cajungal

What stopped me really was my lack of experience with a band.
Hello Catch-22...
:laugh: Yeah, I know. I guess I should also add that I didn't really have any interest in joining a band at all. The three or so months in Europe made me start thinkin' about it, though.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

DO EET.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Believe me, if I can get a try-out, I will. And I will play my little heart out. :)

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Yay! Then convince them to come to Finland! Tell them of our cuisine, of our hot summers, of our relaxed attitude towards nudity! Tell them of carnivorous couch beds that will be fed!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I actually know next to nothing about Finnish cuisine... except for some pictures of really good-looking desserts that you've posted. Tell me of your cuisine that I may tell them of your cuisine!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Smoked herring so tasty and wellmade it melts in your mouth, new potatoes with butter, barbecued steaks at summer, along with local and festive delicacies. Also, fresh strawberries straight from the market. Yummy!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Smoked herring so tasty and wellmade it melts in your mouth, new potatoes with butter, barbecued steaks at summer, along with local and festive delicacies. Also, fresh strawberries straight from the market. Yummy!
Oh my God, herring... I love herring.

WolfOfOdin

I always thought @li3n was from the Fourth Dimension, and was banished here for trying to take over his homeland.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Barcelona. Do I need to say anything else?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I hear Sitges is pretty.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

It's pretty nice, and also important as a "gay city" around here.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

LOL, my GF never told me that when she spent her summers there in '86 and '87...

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

LOL, my GF never told me that when she spent her summers there in '86 and '87...
sexy... XD

Dusty668

Allow me to be the first.

...ahem...

FREEBIRD!!!!!!!

@Li3n

@Li3n

I always thought @li3n was from the Fourth Dimension, and was banished here for trying to take over his homeland.

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Guards, take him away...

Cajungal

Cajungal

UPDATE!

Well, no dice. The group is still more or less together, but they're not going to be touring. One of the girls is moving away, and another is getting married. Gigs are gonna be few and far between and mostly just casual little shows. It was worth a try, and she was very nice about it, too. Ah well.. maybe she'll send me their music anyway... I was really excited about learning their songs. And that way if they ever DO need someone to sit in, I could be ready!

I'll have to meet you European forumites some other way. :\

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

There is still hope! The impending marriage must be broken, and the other girl must be stopped from leaving.

I've got it all planned out. First, we get some signs that say 'Road Block' and 'Free Donuts Here'. Then, we dress Chaz as Daisy Duke...

Cajungal

Cajungal

There is still hope! The impending marriage must be broken, and the other girl must be stopped from leaving.

I've got it all planned out. First, we get some signs that say 'Road Block' and 'Free Donuts Here'. Then, we dress Chaz as Daisy Duke...
Wait wait... the TV show Daisy Duke or the Jessica Simpson Daisy Duke. This is crucial.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Wait wait... the TV show Daisy Duke or the Jessica Simpson Daisy Duke. This is crucial.[/QUOTE]

THE WHOLE OUTCOME OF THIS PLAN DEPENDS ON THIS!!

Dusty668

Aw, Nertz.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Wait wait... the TV show Daisy Duke or the Jessica Simpson Daisy Duke. This is crucial.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking the TV show. Unless the target prefers blondes. For that eventuality I have a tuft of Crone's hair and some glue.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm thinking the TV show. Unless the target prefers blondes. For that eventuality I have a tuft of Crone's hair and some glue.[/QUOTE]

*takes notes* Go on.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Okay, we send Chaz to be the other wom... err, shark and break up the marriage.

Then, we use the signs to hold up a money delivery and distract the cops. We use the money to bribe the other girl so she dosn't have to move.

It cannot go wrong.

Chazwozel

Okay, we send Chaz to be the other wom... err, shark and break up the marriage.

Then, we use the signs to hold up a money delivery and distract the cops. We use the money to bribe the other girl so she dosn't have to move.

It cannot go wrong.
I'm not dressing as Daisy Duke! You do it! Your tits are bigger than mine anyway!