Preseason has begun

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the NFL's Preseason games have started.

I got a chance to watch my Panthers in action against the Ravens. They did ok. Defense could have been better and Matt Moore did ok. I had feared Jimmy Clausen would be a second coming of Chris Weinke, but he did well, I thought. I'd be interested to see how he performs against starters.

I was very impressed by the running game we had. Even if Stewart is injured, DeAngelo Williams performed up to expectations in what little time he had. Then Sutton came on and also did very well. We have a solid 3rd back to put in when we need it as well.

I don't want to make any predictions about the season until I see more action, though.

For everyone else that is a fan, what do you think of your team's performance?

For everyone else that is not a fan, why are you reading this thread?

I find it hard to get excited about the preseason, especially the first 2 games. The starters don't play much, and therefore it doesn't feel like an accurate portrayal of how the team is going to do. Add in the fact that the games don't count and you won't see 98% of the guys playing the 2nd half ever again, it makes me hesitant to spend any time or energy on preseason games.

While some football > no football, I can't think of preseason games much in any context other than "please don't get injured, please don't get injured"

I'll watch the Giants @ Jets monday night. It's tough to get worked up over preseason games, but it can be interesting to see the rookies. I'll watch to see what the coaching does, it gives a much better idea of the season then how the players play.

Dave

Staff member
I remember a few years ago watching this preseason game where this unknown TE came out of nowhere by catching a short pass and then absolutely leveling a defender that was going for the easy tackle. This previously unknown TE - Jeremy Shockey - made the team because of that hit and the attitude he showed. Until that hit nobody knew who he was.

Dave

Staff member
Shockey was a pretty huge star at Miami and was all-american/won awards and that, and I'm pretty sure he was a first-round pick.
Outside of Miami nobody knew who he was. People generally know QBs, RBs and - if they are really, really good - WRs. Nobody knows good tight ends right out of college. Or at least they didn't then. Since he came in in 2002 the TE story has morphed into a much bigger position.

Shockey was a pretty huge star at Miami and was all-american/won awards and that, and I'm pretty sure he was a first-round pick.
Outside of Miami nobody knew who he was. People generally know QBs, RBs and - if they are really, really good - WRs. Nobody knows good tight ends right out of college. Or at least they didn't then. Since he came in in 2002 the TE story has morphed into a much bigger position.[/QUOTE]

Jay Novacek might have something to say about that...

There is something about the Cowboy's organization, that they always have a good tight end.

There were always good tight ends in Pro Ball, but the fraggin' 80's and the Run And Shoot (Chuck and Duck) most teams opted for another wide out instead of a tight end. Now teams are taking another fresh look at the Pro Set because the quarterbacks don't get killed as easily. And TE's are great for ball control.

While some football > no football, I can't think of preseason games much in any context other than "please don't get injured, please don't get injured"
Charlie speaks the unfettered truth here.[/QUOTE]

Normally, I would agree, but this year there are just so many questions for the Panthers that I can't help but to be interested. We have questions at QB, we have questions on Defense with the departure of Peppers, we have questions at WR since Muhammed retired... You get the point. This year, we need the extra time and game scenarios to get answers to everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.