Prince and Vincent Price's Love Child is a Nazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am a free speech advocate, he seems like he was trying his hardest to break the rules of the land.
Added at: 16:26
What should matter is, can he do his job? I don't like the idea of some one losing their job over events unrelated to his workspace.

T

TheBrew

If his comments reflect badly on his employer and can cause them to lose money through lost sales, then yeah it is job related and they can fire him.

His comments reflect badly upon himself. This whole attitude that your employer owns you 24 hours a day, kinda of creeps me out.

In that world, if just said he voted conservative may be enough for them to lose customers. Then should he be fired?

To me it depends on how vocal you are about your opinions. Making an offensive comment at home every now and again is one thing. To be filmed publically praising Hitler is another.

So like with the hypothetical conservative employee, does he just happen to be conservative and will honestly answer questions asked? Or is he a tea bagger who wants to kill and publically insults anyone remotely liberal?

J

Jiarn

While I am a free speech advocate, he seems like he was trying his hardest to break the rules of the land.
Added at: 16:26
What should matter is, can he do his job? I don't like the idea of some one losing their job over events unrelated to his workspace.
You mean how like Charlie Sheen is getting shit for his off screen situation?

J

Jiarn

His pictures really do look like a mash-up from Conan of the two of them though....

You mean how like Charlie Sheen is getting shit for his off screen situation?
His off screen situation is keeping him from doing his job.

Now his off screen situation for the last 8 years did not effect his work, much. So, the producers put up with his antics. Now he has not shown up for work for 2 months...

J

Jiarn

I was under the impression that all this started with his offscreen comments about the staff and producers of the show.

It started when they gave him time to get his head together because, they did not want to lose their cash cow. He then refused to seek help and lashed out at those that gave him the chance to save his career.

P

Philosopher B.

The man literally thinks gassing the Jews was a good idea. You'd have to be A) terrible and B) batshit insane not to fire his Hitler-loving ass. This isn't a slippery slope issue.

His comments reflect badly upon himself. This whole attitude that your employer owns you 24 hours a day, kinda of creeps me out.
I think you're taking that a little far. If a company feels that public comments you've made can hurt their brand image, it's perfectly reasonable for them to choose to fire you. Don't forget, he's not just some guy working in their secretary pool or the mail room, he's a fashion designer whose name is on their stuff right next to theirs. There's an enormous potential brand effect.

I don't know if it's standard, but at every job I've had, I've had to sign a form stating if I made derogatory comments about my employer in public (or on social media), or if I made public statements that could portry my company in a bad light (ie, if I made racist comments while somehow associating myself with a company, like wearing their jacket or something), I could be reprimanded or fired. And I'm talking about pretty small-time jobs: Blockbuster, a lab tech at a civil engineering firm, and a hotel front desk agent. I imagine someone who, as has been mentioned, has his name plastered along side someone like Dior's...

Well he probably had to sign a much more in-depth version of that form.

J

Jiarn

Yeah same here, every job, every contract. Can't even make comments online etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.