Project Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone in the Project Management field? I've been contemplating going to get my CAPM certification this year and in 2 years become PMP.

I've been looking at various documentation to help me prep but maybe someone else around here can give me a head's up or any tips?

Never know.

Anyone in the Project Management field? I've been contemplating going to get my CAPM certification this year and in 2 years become PiMP.

I've been looking at various documentation to help me prep but maybe someone else around here can give me a head's up or any tips?

Never know.
FTFY

Honestly, don't even know what any of that is.

I only have one project management certification. From what little I've heard about the career track the PMP's I've worked with take, generally they get their PMP as a consequence of already essentially doing that job at their place of employment, and so get their employer to pay for their classes so they can do their existing job better. I don't know anyone who chose it as a profession, became certified, and then got a job as a PMP with no prior experience.

If you are already doing a bit of project management, or see the need within your company, talk with them and see if you can convince them of the need the company has for a dedicated PMP. Make sure you've done enough research to convince them how much it will affect the bottom line, and in what concrete ways it will do so. You may be able to get them to pay for some or all of your training and certification if they don't already have an education budget/credit/program.

Beyond that, good luck! Project management seems like and interesting career path, and coupling it with your existing experience and knowledge in another professional field where PM is needed is a great combination.

I probably get a dozen or so emails for boot camp courses and PMP training, but that's because my email address is only 1 digit off that of someone in charge of a department at my company. I delete them all. I can barely make sure to get my laundry washed, dried, and folded in time. I gotta long ways to go before I start going to thousand-dollar seminars.

--Patrick

It's OK Pat, you're still the awesome dude who sets me up with a fantastic rig every 3 years. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.