Export thread

Question about Google

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

How do you get google to direct a search for a phrase to a certain site?

Adam

Adammon

"site: XXXXX.com searchwords"

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So the webpage in question should have that in it's html?

How do you get a website to appear as the #1 site for google?

figmentPez

figmentPez

So the webpage in question should have that in it's html?
I think Adammon misunderstood your question (and I read it the same way). That's the way to search for a phrase within only a specific website (i.e. "bioshock infinite site:halforums.com" turns up all the discussions about bioshock infinite on the forums.)

What you're looking for is how to get your site to show up high in the list of Google search results? That's more complicated.

strawman

strawman

It's called "Search Engine Optimization" , usually abbreviated as SEO.

It's a polite way of saying, "Gaming the search engines so our webpage results in a higher ranking than similar webpages.

If you want to pay a company to do it then it will cost you anywhere between $500-$10k depending on a lot of factors.

If you want to do it yourself, first you have to find out if the pharse or search terms are already saturated - in other words how hard are you going to have to fight other web pages to appear more relevant than them.

In general, there are a few simple things that you must do before you even look at the more obtuse SEO techniques:

* your domain name contains some or all of the search terms
* the URL contains the rest of the search phrases/terms
* your page contains relevant, useful information
* your site doesn't verbatim copy content available from elsewhere
* your page title, meta information, etc all have relevant words/phrases in them
* your site is registered with the major search engines (they all have "submit your website" forms to make sure you appear in their index)
* you update your site frequently (several times a week)
* you draw a lot of traffic
* your site is VERY quick to load
* your site has at least 75% content (versus ads and other irrelevant material)
* your site is strongly internally linked (ie, every page in your site links naturally to other pages in your site so every page has at least one incoming link)
* your site links to other definitive relevant sites
* sites with similar, relevant content link to your site as the definitive source

Keep in mind that depending on your site's goals and content, some of the above may not apply. Depending on the phrase you're trying to get, you may have an easy time, or a hard time.

But it's really a rabbit hole, because Google and others spend millions of dollars a year for employees who find out ways people are gaming the system that ruin search results (search spammers) and develop algorithms and techniques to combat them.

Your best bet is simply to provide frequently updated, relevant content and get other people who have the same interests talking about you and your site on their site.

But you can search for "SEO" and go down the rabbit hole to see if you can gain an unusually large amount of traffic quickly, rather than waiting for natural growth.

But if I get a spammy SEO link request from you or a company you hire, be prepared for my response. I still get these occasionally even though my pagerank is only 3 (sigh - I used to be a 5, and I was getting $200/mo from google ads, but the internet has moved on, and my site is rather stale...)

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Puffster pretty much nails it exactly with this:

Your best bet is simply to provide frequently updated, relevant content and get other people who have the same interests talking about you and your site on their site.
That's really the big idea. Everything else is details.

I would only really add a couple things.

Using SEO techniques to "cheat" the system and gain high traffic rankings rapidly is a bad, bad idea. It might work temporarily, but Google has whole departments of math-nerds whose sole job is to identify people who game the system and put their mission (to provide the most relevant search results on the web) in jeopardy, so they can ban them indefinitely. This is what's often called "black-hat SEO". Chances are, you're not smarter than everyone at Google, so don't go this route.

However, optimizing your site so users and search engines can more easily find it and gauge the value of your content is something that Google highly encourages, because it makes their mission easier. This is called (you guessed it) "white-hat SEO", and pretty much everything on Puffster's list qualifies. Matt Cutts' blog is pretty much dedicated to white-hat SEO, and there's no beter rabbit hole to travel down if you're inclined.

The last thing I would note, if anyone approaches you and claims to be able to get you to the top of the first page in 3 months or less, stay far away from them, because they're black-hatters. It is impossible to do legitimately (from the perspective of Google, Yahoo, and MSN), and you risk getting banned if you work with them. Real, successful SEO of the sort that can give you extremely stable first page results takes, minimum, 6 months for anything that isn't a 5-word keyphrase or a brand keyword, and often takes years (most major companies literally never stop doing it, because there's always the risk that someone will poach #1 from them).

Adam

Adammon

Ah, I took google as a synonym for search, not as a company search engine. My bads!

MindDetective

MindDetective

"white-hate SEO"
Dude! That's so racist!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

"white-hate SEO"
Dude! That's so racist![/QUOTE]

Doh, my self-hatred is bleeding through and being applied generally! (Good catch) :p

MindDetective

MindDetective

I guess as an aside there is one way to be right at the top of the page on a Google search: Buy the advertising for that search term!