[Question] RAM Upgrade Extravaganza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several RAM-related questions. I am planning on upgrading the RAM in both my desktop and my laptop, but, I know relatively little about RAM.

I'll get the TL;DR out of the way if you don't want to read everything:

1) If I buy RAM with a different RAM speed than what is currently in my PC, will all RAM automatically run at the lower speed? And, if so, what are the implications of this?
2) If I upgrade RAM, is there any reason to not only add to my existing, but also replace my current RAM?
3) Is 16GB stupid for me? My PC is a gaming rig.
4)I have a Dell mini 1012: will 2GB of RAM be a significant improvement compared to its current 1GB?

Desktop specs:
Vista Ultimate x64 (probably soon to be 7 Ultimate)
Intel Core2Duo 3.16GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
2x Nvidia GTX 280 SLi
250GB HD w/ OS
2x 1TB HDs w/ most of my 'stuff': music, games, photos, etc.

My desktop currently has 4GB total:
2x 2GB DDR3 1333 AW 115
Now, as I understand it, the 1333 has something to do with RAM speed, and if this number is lower than the RAM I buy to upgrade, then all of my RAM will run at the lower speed.

I've been recommended this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311 which has the following specs:
8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

I have four RAM slots, 2 currently in use. I've been wanting to upgrade my RAM for a while. My more tech-savvy friends are convinced it will speed up my computer. Part of me feels like if I'm buying 8GB, why not buy 2 kits and replace everything: is anything to be gained by replacing my old RAM, other than the obvious 4GB, and either way, is 16GB worthwhile? The primary purpose of my PC is for gaming.

Onto the laptop.

I have a Dell mini 1012. I love it, but holy fuck is it slow. The most I can apparently put into it is 2GB, which is double what it currently has. Will the return on the 2GB be worthwhile, or insignificant?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Bonus question: When you buy a Windows Upgrade (like the upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate), if you were to, for whatever reason, need to reinstall Windows, would you have reinstall Vista and then upgrade to 7 again? Or would you be able to do an install directly to 7?

The hell?

Now for a serious answer. The only thing that really will limit the type of ram that you get is the DDR slot type. The motherboard will just bottleneck the actual speed of the ram to what it can handle. Ideally, you'd want to get a speed that matches or goes under your motherboard pipeline, but it's not going to melt your hard drive or anything.

Having just upgrated from 8 to 16 GB, I can say personally, I've seen a much greater improvement. Textures load much faster in games, I rarely see the late pop-in textures anymore and when playing online games, my maps are usually loaded first or at the same time as everyone elses (i used to be the one everyone had to wait for).

As to the laptop, yes, doubling your memory will definitely help. It will still be crappy, just less crappy.

As for the windows upgrades, I haven't bought a full copy of windows since 95. Every other copy has been the upgrade edition. At most (and sometimes it doesn't even do this) it will ask you to insert your previous version of windows disk for authentication. The install prompts on 7 upgrade edition actually recommend AGAINST installing the upgrade over an existing OS and doing a clean install.

You will notice a pretty huge difference going from 1GB to 2GB.

Once you go past 4GB you'll notice less of an improvement, particularly when running day to day things. Like was said above you'll see improvements with games and other high end tasks.

RAM is cheap, and the best bang for your buck in performance improvements. I say you fill up those suckers.

RAM speed will (try to) downclock to match the slowest. Doesn't always work, though, so try to get the stuff you actually need whenever possible. The performance difference between RAM speeds is relatively minor (1333 v. 1600) but the electrical/mechanical differences between generations is usually pretty significant (DDR2 v. DDR3).

For the answer to your bonus question...it will depend on the type of serial number/activation code you use, but for the most part, assume you will forever have to install the first version and then re-upgrade every time you want to reinstall.

--Patrick

I just wanted to chime in on your bonus question based on my recent experience.

I have a Dell XPS desktop that came with windows Vista. I upgraded it to Windows 7 Home Premium with an upgrade disc I bought. This week I decided to reinstall my operating system but before I reformatted my computer I used a product key finder (magic jellybean or something) to find my Windows 7 Home Premium product key. After getting this I was able to install windows 7 from scratch without needing my windows vista disc (which is good because I lost it). Once I got online I manually activated my copy of windows 7 with that product key I extracted and the server accepted it and everything was great.

Basically, the windows 7 upgrade disc has everything you need for a full install from scratch... you should not need to install vista first and then upgrade (make sure you get your product key first though... or you could be screwed).

Status
Not open for further replies.