Reader's Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to Italy in a few weeks for a pair of week and will find a lot of spare time, which I'd like to spend reading some books. I'm looking to buy some new books, preferably based in the medieval setting a la "King Arthur" or "LOTR". Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Something that isn't too commercial such as LOTR, Twilight and all that stuff?

I just finished reading the Darksword Trilogy. Anyone remember it? Or read it? It was a nice cheap find that few people have read. Something like this would be cool.

figmentPez

Staff member
Have you read Roger Zelazny's Amber novels? Ten novels (also available in one giant book containing all 10) and they're kind of a mix of medieval and modern fantasy, with a touch more of the medieval in my opinion. They're absolutely fantastic.

I also love a lot of his other novels, though they're not medieval fantasy.
- "A Night in the Lonesome October" may just be my favorite fiction novel, I read it at least every October. I'm not sure how to classify it. It features a lot of horror characters (the main character is Jack the Ripper's dog) and it centers around opening or sealing shut a gateway for the old gods, but despite that it's not a horror tale, it's more of a comedy.
- "Donnerjack" (with Jane Lindskold) is modern fantasy, but it's really good. Cyberspace somehow links with myth and merges. It's got one of the best uses of Death as a character, rivaling the Death of Discworld, IMO.
- "Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming", "A Farce to be Reckoned With" and "If at Faust You Don't Succeed" (all with Robert Sheckley). These three are comedies about the contest between good and evil to decide who will rule humanity. They're absolutely hilarious. I think the setting may be Renaissance, but I can't remember for certain.
- "Forever After" (multiple authors) This is a comedy about what happens after a fantasy adventure ends. All the mystical items brought together to defeat the evil overlord are now wreaking havoc and have to be hidden away. Each of the adventurer's tales is by a different author. Hmm... come to think of it, this one is medieval fantasy.
- and a lot more. "Wizard World", "Damnation Alley", "Doorways in the Sand" and others.

I also want to reccomend "Changer" by Jane Lindskold. I could try and fit it into your criteria by saying that it does feature King Arthur as one of the characters, but it's more modern fantasy, really. The characters are all old school (Enkidu, Anasasi, Gilgamesh, Loki, sasquatch, satyrs, etc.) but it's set in modern day. This novel really and truly is an amazing work. In fact, I think I need to put it next on my list for a 4th read-through.

Oh, yes, I almost forgot, I have read the Darksword trilogy. I liked it a lot. It was the one about the boy who couldn't use magic in a world where that was a crime punishable by death?

Seconding Zelazny's Amber series.

Also, George RR Martin's Game of Thrones stuff.

Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay.

If you don't mind a bit heavier on magic, Steven Erikson's Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

All great.

Fantastic thread people. Lots of good suggestions.

figmentPez said:
Oh, yes, I almost forgot, I have read the Darksword trilogy. I liked it a lot. It was the one about the boy who couldn't use magic in a world where that was a crime punishable by death?
Yes, that's it. There's a wicked Prophecy. He's the future Emperor and he created a weapon that nullifies the magic of those who come near him to seek his revenge.

Trivia : Did you know they created a 4th book? Which I just finished reading. It was fantastic (still think the 2nd book was best) and explains a lot of things.

Oh, hey, the Earthsea quadrilogy (though, I admit, I haven't read the fourth one, so I can't say if it's good, too), by Ursula Leguinn. Very good, though, quite magic-heavy, so it depends on if you like that or not.

If you want a real check-your-brain-before-reading, filled to the brim with every conceivable trope and stereotype (but hanging full of lampshades, too - the writer clearly knew what kind of thing he was writing), try the Bloodbowl books. Extra fun if you know the game :)

R

redapples

Allen said:
redapples said:
[quote="Allen, who is Quiet":2t3md1i3]Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle
ftfy

Its seven books over 3 volumes iirc.
right. thanks. it's been a while.[/quote:2t3md1i3]

Its a good read though. I was a little dismayed when not one of the people in the book podcast had even heard of Stephenson.

redapples said:
I was a little dismayed when not one of the people in the book podcast had even heard of Stephenson.
Wow. Not a good advertisement for the podcasters. Yikes.

This morning I ordered a pair of Dragon Lance books as well as Roger Zelazny's Amber (the one with all 10) off Amazon for a total of a paltry 24$.... damn I love Amazon.

A

Alex B.

I'm in the middle of reading Iron Council, by China Mieville, and it's the best book I've read in a long time. It's a fantasy steampunk setting, with a strong mix of technology and magic. Cool stuff, and the prose is stunning.

redapples said:
Its a good read though. I was a little dismayed when not one of the people in the book podcast had even heard of Stephenson.
I'm going to protest their ignorance by rereading Snow Crash. That ought to show them that what they've done is not okay.

I just finished Neil Geiman's Anansi Boys and American Gods. Entertaining books, but just not great ones. Modern Fantasy is a pretty cool break from the norm though.

R

redapples

Allen said:
redapples said:
I'm going to protest their ignorance by rereading Snow Crash. That ought to show them that what they've done is not okay.
Good idea. I think I'll join you.

Status
Not open for further replies.