Recipe Request

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my mom wanted me to plant some zucchini for her this year. It has really taken off though, and she doesn't want any more. I have never done anything with it before, so I figure I'd see if anyone had some good recipes for it before I start giving it away. Something other than the bread/muffins would be best, as that it usually what my mom makes.

If you have other requests feel free to drop those in here too.

Zuccini Suprise!
Serves 1-5, preparation 50 minutes

Ingredients:
10-50 Zuccini
1-5 plastic or paper shopping bags

Instructions:
Place about 10 zuccini in each paper or plastic bag
Walk to neighbor(s)
Set bag on front porch
Ring doorbell, and hide
Congratulate self for a job well done

-Adam

Here's a recipe my dad uses for zucchini:

Cut zucchini into either circles or strips.
Cover a cooking sheet in tinfoil and lay down a layer of a mixture of olive oil, garlic salt, and ground cayenne pepper.
Lay zucchini onto tinfoil and then brush the same mixture onto the top of them.
Put into an oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes (more or less depending on your prefered texture).

It doesn't sound like much, but oh man, I've never liked zucchini more in my life!

Looks good, I may have to try the baked zucchini tonight. I definitelly want to try the zucchini and tomato once my tomato's are ready. I've never had quinoa, is it usually near the rice?

Shakey said:
Looks good, I may have to try the baked zucchini tonight. I definitelly want to try the zucchini and tomato once my tomato's are ready. I've never had quinoa, is it usually near the rice?
The quinoa I get is in the rice aisle in a box that looks like this:

Cube it, drop it in marinara sauce, and call it primavera.

Brush with some olive oil and toss it on the grill, then salt & pepper.

Go Southern with it by coating in a mixture of corn meal, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then pan frying. Dip it in beaten egg before breading if you really want a thick coat.

North_Ranger

Staff member
One steakhouse I visit infrequently (much thanks to the fact that I live on a student budget) serves thick slices of BBQ fried zucchini with their steaks. They are incredibly yummy (the steaks are nice, too).

R

redapples

1 onion
3 Zucchini
Clams (enough for 4 people)
250 grams spaghetti

thinly slice Zucchini and salt in a colander for about a hour, pat dry
finely chop onion and soften, add zucchini soften. Cook Spaghetti when almost done add clams. Drain Spaghetti reserving some of the cooking water 2-3 tablespoons add to the pan with zucchini. Serve on Spaghetti with Parmesan (I know sea food and Parmesan but I prefer it).

Cheesy1 said:

Cover a cooking sheet in tinfoil and lay down a layer of a mixture of olive oil, garlic salt, and ground cayenne pepper.
Put into an oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes (more or less depending on your prefered texture).

It doesn't sound like much, but oh man, I've never liked zucchini more in my life!
I'm gonna try this, but one question: how wet/dry should the mixture be? Relatively wet, so it's more like an olive-oil-based dressing with spices in it, or more dry, so it's more like a rub and/or very very thick sauce?

Thanks.

Eriol said:
Cheesy1 said:

I'm gonna try this, but one question: how wet/dry should the mixture be? Relatively wet, so it's more like an olive-oil-based dressing with spices in it, or more dry, so it's more like a rub and/or very very thick sauce?

Thanks.
Ok, just got a clarification on this. First he spreads just straight olive oil onto the tinfoil, then he sprinkles the garlic salt and cayenne pepper on top of that. He then lays down the zuchinni, brushes straight olive oil onto them and then sprinkles more salt and pepper on top. So more wet than a rub, but not a REALLY thick sauce. My dad also uses this same method for his asparagus. 'Tis also killer! :drool:

figmentPez

Staff member
My sister has a fantastic recipe for zucchini chocolate cake, I'll have to ask her for it. (Yes, it really is tasty.)

Cheesy1 said:
Ok, just got a clarification on this. First he spreads just straight olive oil onto the tinfoil, then he sprinkles the garlic salt and cayenne pepper on top of that. He then lays down the zuchinni, brushes straight olive oil onto them and then sprinkles more salt and pepper on top. So more wet than a rub, but not a REALLY thick sauce. My dad also uses this same method for his asparagus. 'Tis also killer! :drool:
That's completely clear to me. I'll definitely try this. Thanks for going to get the updated procedure.

And I thought I'd share what my fiancée and I do for asparagus on the grill, as it's very very similar to this. We put some olive oil in a bowl, and add salt & pepper until it looks "spiced enough". Then we run the asparagus through the bowl until they're all just barely coated. The idea being that when you're out of asparagus, the bowl is nearly dry (so it's not a bath with tons of oil left over, but just enough to coat them). Then put them on a hot grill cross-wise to the grills themselves. "Roll" them halfway through so that both sides get grill marks, and take them off. Takes way less time than you'd think to get them "done". But really quick-n-easy if you want a green side when grilling, but don't want to fire up the steamer inside. I think I may sometime try this with garlic salt and cayenne pepper, as that would definitely add a bit of a different flavour to this. Maybe just the cayenne though, I dunno if I'd want garlic overpowering the asparagus.

But for yours, I'm definitely going to try it as-written first. Sounds great.

O

Olorin

Simple side dish: cut the zucchini in thin long slices, put some oil and salt on it. Leave it for a few minutes and then throw them on a hot grill (or pan) and grill both sides.

I often just chop up part of a zucchini along with an onion and a carrot and stir fry with some oil and soy and/or chili sauce.

Also nice in soups and pasta sauces. I've never had it in bread or muffins before... that just sounds weird :paranoid:

For the non-brewer or someone who hasn't done much brewing:

The wine recipe doesn't say what to do with the campden tablet.

You can use it before fermentation, to killl bacteria and yeast, but the boiling process should see to that.

You can use it at the end of fermentation to kill the active yeast and stop fermentation. That's probably what they mean when they say "stabilize and sweeten to taste". You crush the campden tablet and throw it in the mix, which should kill anything living in it (including the yeast) and stop fermentation. You should probably wait a day or two after the campden to "sweeten to taste", as immediately after putting it in there are high concentrations of sulfides in there killing off stuff. If you're allergic to sulfides, skip the campden and just wait it out.

"Fine with Bentonite" doesn't mean "alright with Bentonite". Fine, in this context, is a verb meaning to throw bentonite in there in order to help clarify the wine as it settles.

That site has a ton of crazy recipe's, but they assume you have had a bit of experience. I've never tried a vegetable wine before, should be interesting.

C

Chazwozel

Tell your mom to be more creative

:smug:

:smug:

Zucchini chocolate cake kicks ass.

W

Wasabi Poptart

For breaded chicken cutlets, or flattened out breaded chicken breast, you could make chicken Parmesan. Top already cooked breaded cutlets with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake it in the oven at 400 until the cheese is melted and sauce is heated through.

Status
Not open for further replies.