Recommended way to use TV as monitor over WiFi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone recommend a particular solution to using an older (2006-era, no wifi or ethernet port) HDTV as a monitor over WiFi?

I've been toying with the idea of wanting to play PC games from my living room, despite my PC being in my bedroom. It's not a huge priority or anything, it's just something that would be nice as an option.

This may be dead in the water as I'm not sure that a BT keyboard & mouse would reach as far as that, but since I am in the market for buying parts for a new PC, I figured I would ask to see if there is a cheap-ish option that I could implement without buying a new TV with genuine networking capabilities.

Your BIGGEST hurdle with something like an Apple TV (ie, no dongle) is going to be finding some way to broadcast the 3D viewport* rather than the screen. Your best (most compatible) method is going to involve buying some sort of transceiver pair to act as your wireless "cable" to hook to the TV. I'd post some links, but I'm on iPod right now. I have to think that something like this already exists for projectors, though.

--Patrick
*It's a video card/driver thing, which is why recording a movie of 3D gameplay directly to the computer can be a chore, even with the help of utilities like FRAPS.

figmentPez

Staff member
Nah, the biggest hurdle is going to be lag. Most wireless display setups are meant for either power point type stuff, to make it easier for travelling business people to hook up to projectors, or for home theater setups showing movies. Gaming isn't a priority for these setups.

What you want is some form of wireless HDMI, not WiFi because WiFi doesn't have the bandwidth for uncompressed video. Looking at products it seems that $170 is the minimun you'd find for something to take HDMI out from a computer and wirelessly send it to an HDMI in on a television. Even then reviews say it needs line of sight to work well, so depending on how far it is from your bedroom to your TV, and what's in the way, that might not work.

You're not going to be happy with any current wireless solutions out there right now. Even the ones that can do the full 1080i or 720p, which are very expensive, include a noticeable lag or delay which will affect your gameplay. Add bluetooth delay on top of that and it'll feel like playing in molasses.

Do a search for "35 foot hdmi" on amazon and you'll find a number of $25 and cheaper hdmi cables that should reach for you. The next step up is a 50 foot cable, for not much more.

Wireless is not where it's at right now. It'd be cheaper to buy a new computer than it would be to buy an HDMI wireless setup anyway, even if the lag wasn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.