Reforging, I keep forgetting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last night I logged onto my paladin again for a bit. Waiting for a few of you to hit 85 so we can start queuing for heroics and stuff. I ended up finally getting Revered with Therazane, which allowed me to get the str dps ring from her.

While looking over all the rings I noticed it had a tanking ring with strength, dodge, and mastery. I compared it to one of my greens and was like "Man this would be so good if it didn't have a lot of dodge"

Then it dawned on me. I forgot about reforging. I went over and converted a huge chunk of the dodge into Hit rating. I then reforged away some of my mastery on other items (I was super stacked with the stuff, but it's not the best stat for retribution right now) into further hit rating and a little bit of expertise. I am now very close to the hit cap with very little loss to my mastery proc.

I still have a few undesirable stats, like a bit of dodge on that ring and parry on my gloves, but it was much better then the greens I had before and super cheap too (only 5g to reforge the ring). One thing to note is I also learned resilience can not be reforged, so don't expect to buy the craftable pvp gear and make it better for PVE. Disappointed me since I got the belt for super cheap. (still better then what I had though, even with the resilience.)

Just don't be like me and forget that ability is there now, it really helps.

J

Jiarn

I'm so tired of all these bloody Leather drops for BOOMKIN and so VERY LITTLE Feral gear. Don't even get me started on the Cruicble's obvious lack of a Feral Staff....

It's like they're actively discouraging newly 85 Feral Tanks. -sigh-

Reforging isn't going to help me get rid of all that INT.....

Dave

Staff member
Wait. Reforging what?

SO let me get this straight. You can take a blue item that has +175 INT and +150 Spirit and change that to STAM & AGL? How much can you do and how much does it cost?

No, you can only reforge secondary stats like hit, crit, mastery, dodge, etc. You can take half of one of those stats and reforge it into another secondary stat that isn't already on the item. So if you have an item with crit and mastery on it, you could reforge half of the crit into hit or expertise. You couldn't reforge it into mastery since the item already has mastery on it.

Dave

Staff member
Damn, okay.

I need to know how all of these secondary things relate to a toon. Like what is best for tanks, DPS, etc and whether those are better than stat adds.

D

Disconnected

I'm in the same boat dave, I can't figure out what is beneficial anymore for pretty much... anything, let alone reforging.

Dave

Staff member
I'm in the same boat dave, I can't figure out what is beneficial anymore for pretty much... anything, let alone reforging.
I went to a site with theorycrafting but holy shit do those guys talk over my head. You think you're smart? Listen to nerds argue about the mathematical benefits or detriments of stats/abilities in WoW.

I went to a site with theorycrafting but holy shit do those guys talk over my head. You think you're smart? Listen to nerds argue about the mathematical benefits or detriments of stats/abilities in WoW.
Tell me about it. I can try to make it a bit easier with less math.

It would take awhile to go over all the stats you would need. I will give you a tiny breakdown of what you would need as a tank in the future. The big thing is that you have to worry about two different things, Survivability and Threat.

Survivability is your health, avoidance, and mitigation. The more health and mitigation you have, the more "hits" you can take before you die). Avoidance is different in that it completely nullifies all incoming damage from that last strike when it occurs. Having higher rating in avoidance stats increase the chance for this "monster miss" to occur.

Right now avoidance -> mitigation, so you will want to concentrate on dodge and parry. Stamina is still very important and you always want to take the gear with the highest stamina count (you can always reforge something else into parry or dodge), but right now due to the way they are handling mob strikes for smaller, faster attacks, avoidance is winning out and will make the life of your healer much easier.

I could get into block (only on warriors and paladin), which is a sort of mix of mitigation and avoidance (a chance you will take less damage on a strike rather then the full hit), but block seems to be rare on most items now, only appearing on shields from what I can see. Most block chance seems to come through Mastery, so you will want to gather some Mastery at times to fill out once you feel comfortable with your parry and dodge.

Threat is the amount of hate you gather on the enemy, so that they won't attack the other, more squishy people in the group. Since tanks have skills that naturally increase threat generation, the most important thing you have to worry about is making sure you can hit the mob in the first place. This means Expertise and Hit are the two most important stats. Hit reduces the innate chance your attacks can "wiff" on the target, while Expertise simply reduces the bosses innate chance to parry or dodge your own attacks (thus nullifying the strike, much like you do to him). Critical, haste, and such all come a far second for tank classes.

If you ever need any help getting the hang of stats, you can always ask me and I can give some advice. I am still learning all the new systems myself, but it's not hard to get the hang of once you get past all the "math".

J

Jiarn

You want bad? You should read the Enhancement Shaman theorycrafting sims. We didn't even use programs like RAWR. It was all ENHSIM using excel spreadsheets....

D

Disconnected

thanks for some good tips there. Seems I was on a decent path with my tank. yay.

Part of the issue i have with 'nerdsites' explaining these things is they very often use terms not used in the game. Such as mitigation and avoidance. There is no mit stat or avoid stat. Rexx did it more correctly in explaining avoid as dodge and parry.

And also.. spreadsheets?? Talk about killing fun.

J

Jiarn

Yeah I'm glad not to be part of "that crowd" anymore. I enjoy the game ALOT more these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.