Reputation vs. Likes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
I've gotten a few PMs about the Reputations. Some feel they are useless as we have the "Like" button. I'm starting to agree with them. I mean, when someone makes a good post do you "Like" it or give them "Reputation"? I put the addon in because we had Rep before and really that's the only reason. Reputation is by no means anonymous and people can see who gave what rep, so I'm hoping there won't be any passive-aggressive crap.

What do you guys think?

I admit I prefer the "like" button. If you find someone has crossed the line, reporting the post would be the best way to go. Negative rep simply becomes a joke for some people (as in, -Rep for no reason, simply to be a dick).

North_Ranger

Staff member
Personally I prefer Likes over Reputation. Likes are tied to the context, Reputation seems a bit too much like a morality meter in a video game. Plus, I'm cynical enough to believe that someone would actually try to troll around in an effort to get as bad a rep as possible, just for the hell of it.

I didn't even know we still had rep.

I like the like. It's a good way to show your support for a post, and offers positive feedback. It also feeds my ego, even if heatherling is the only person to ever like my posts (not really)

See, Krisken and North_Ranger "liked" my comment. If they had gone with "reputation" instead, I would have a reputation based on liking "like" and those who have read the "Say Something About the Previous Commenter" thread know that is not what my reputation is about.

All we are sayyyyinnng is give "like" a chance.

Dave

Staff member
It was always worth a shot. Again, the only reason I added it was because we had it in the before-time.

Some really nice ideas were given in a PM and I think I may do some things soon that we've needed to do. Stay tuned as I need to get back into actually running the place and trying to improve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.