Rocky IV Sucked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky IV

I'm fan of Nostalgia Critic and Channel Awesome on the whole. Most of the time I can disagree or agree with the reviews on some level while still respecting the opinions presented. However, not this time.

Perhaps it's my bias as a child of the 80s and a Stallone fan, but with the exception of Rocky V I really thought it was a powerful and well driven storyline all the way to the end with Rocky VI. Rocky IV for me was the perfect pinnacle of the series, as it took it to the Worldwide level that the franchise was obviously headed in. Rocky was clearly in his prime and king of American boxing, it only made sense to take it National. He also defeated everyone in perfect human capacity, it only made sense to have a "super-human" to fight against. I really didn't see this film as over the top. Granted the Gorbachev clapping scene might have been a bit much but I really like the grand scale feeling of it all the way to the end. Formulaic? Sure. Still a great formula? Yep.

Thoughts?

I do enjoy Rocky IV, but more as a piece of '80s cheese. It may not be great, but I still have fun watching it.

Still wonder what the heck was up with having the robot at Paulie's party.

I love Rocky IV but it might be nostalgia more than anything else. Although to this day I can still watch it and enjoy it. I tend to think it's a decent film that nostalgia makes it a really re-watchable movie.

I might accept someone saying it isn't good... but saying it SUCKED? Hell naw... it's a product of it's era, sure, but it's still an effin' Rocky flick and it's part of what defined the entire archetype and it's an invaluable piece of Western culture and IT'S EFFING AWESOME DAMMIT!

Also, it's an unspoken agreement among Rocky fans NOT to mention the robot... it's something our eyes just glaze over when it happens.

It's like Die Hard... it's effin' John McClane, of course it's awesome, no matter how much you may criticize part 2 or 4 or whatever... it's still a Die Hard flick, dammit.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Well, it's been a while since I saw the film, but here's my $0.02. I don't think that Rocky IV so much sucked as goofed off, going from the gritty and realistic original to household robots, superhuman boxers, ring shows with James Brown and Soviet Union with all the hallmarks of an evil empire (civilized vs. down-to-earth, human guinea pigs, powerful music scenes, uniform clothing etc.). In other words, it's kinda like if you had an Alien sequel be a teen horror movie... Wait, what do you mean, AVP2? Nonsense. A movie like that? You're kidding. It cannot exist. It cannot exist.

Rocky 2 is a fucking terrible movie in every way you can define a movie. It has been years since I've watched any part of that turd other than the part from "Win, Rocky, Win" to the final bell. That sequence should be a deleted scene on the Rocky 1 DVD.

To be fair, the Nostalgia Critic does say he really likes it at the end. He just thinks they lost sight of what the Rocky franchise WAS in this one.

To be fair, the Nostalgia Critic does say he really likes it at the end. He just thinks they lost sight of what the Rocky franchise WAS in this one.
To me it's a rather logical extension of the series. He has no real challenges anymore. He's grown fat on his success, his life is opulent. The James Brown thing is PERFECT in showing the excess of these guys lives, the arrogance, suddenly BAM. Everything changes and his life isn't so comfortable anymore.

It was a decent enough movie though time has not done it great justice. I like the positive message at the end of the movie. Never seen Rocky 5. I still can't take the fight seriously though, the fake boking is pretty terrible.

Cinderella Man is a better movie all in all IMO and if you haven't watched the movie, you don't know jack. :)

C

Chazwozel

Rocky 2 is a fucking terrible movie in every way you can define a movie. It has been years since I've watched any part of that turd other than the part from "Win, Rocky, Win" to the final bell. That sequence should be a deleted scene on the Rocky 1 DVD.

Sup bro, how's it hanging all the way in left field?

Status
Not open for further replies.