Export thread

Sacramento Kings sold to Seattle investment group

Gared

Gared

It's tentatively official, the Sacramento Kings have been sold to an investment group from Seattle led by Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer. The Kings are expected to start playing in Seattle in the 2013/14 season at Key Arena, where they'll play for two years before moving to the new Seattle Arena - assuming that it gets its final green lights and can be built.

(Local) source on the deal.
(Local) source on the numbers behind the deal.

We now return to our regularly scheduled not giving a rat's ass about pro-basketball.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The Sonics are back!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Clippers should have been the one to leave Cali...

Covar

Covar

I think it would be kind of cool to have a NBA team here in the Carolina market. Ah well.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think it would be kind of cool to have a NBA team here in the Carolina market. Ah well.
But you guys already have Professional Basketball.

Gared

Gared

Don't worry. I'm sure after five or ten years the shininess of having an NBA team in Seattle will wear off again, and viewership will fall below profitable levels again. You can buy them then.

Covar

Covar

But you guys already have Professional Basketball.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Don't worry. I'm sure after five or ten years the shininess of having an NBA team in Seattle will wear off again, and viewership will fall below profitable levels again. You can buy them then.
Yeah, I thought that was why the Sonics went to OKC in the first place. I can't believe they are getting another team so soon. Sellers remorse?

Gared

Gared

Yeah, I thought that was why the Sonics went to OKC in the first place. I can't believe they are getting another team so soon. Sellers remorse?
I have no idea. Mainly, it seems to be about 3000 die-hard fans (including some rather wealthy ones) who feel cheated by the fact that the team left in the first place and think that Howard Schultz is the worst pile of excrement to ever be called a human being for selling the team. But attendance had dropped down to an average of something like 2k fans per game, and the team was losing money hand over fist (though most of those 3000 vocal fans seem to think that no amount of money would have placated Schultz, even if the team had been highly profitable, he's a horrible businessman, has no idea what a successful company looks like, etc. etc.). But, part of the NBA's complaint was the status of the ailing Key Arena and the fact that no one was willing to do any improvements on the building, so the Sonics had to go. Now, Hansen wants to build a new arena, and has final approval from the city and county to build it, to house an NBA team and possibly also an NHL team if he can find one. None of the 3k vocal fans are willing to admit that there are more people turning up to rallies to "bring back the Sonics" than were showing up on an average game night, instead insisting that the arena was at near capacity every single game (when in fact the Seattle Storm were outselling the Sonics on a regular basis).

One issue with the old arena was that Schultz wasn't willing to pay for what few improvements could be made himself, and wanted the taxpayers to pay for it all, and since we were still in the process of paying off Qwest and Safeco fields, we all said no way in hell. Those two stadiums have since been paid off, and Hansen is footing most of the bill for the new arena himself, so we don't have that issue anymore; but that was only part of the problem with Key Arena. The main issue is that zoning laws in the area where the old arena sits prevent it from getting any taller, and it's hemmed in by other buildings, so it couldn't expand outward either. The only way to fit more people in the building would be to dig down under the current building and make it pretty much a subterranean cavern, but that presents some additional issues, since that section of Seattle is all built on land-fill, and the ground isn't really stable enough.

Interestingly enough, the new arena's approval was contingent upon the NBA approving Seattle to host a new team, and the NBA's approval for Seattle to host a new team was contingent upon either a new arena being built or significant improvements being made to Key Arena; so if it weren't for the sheer amount of money that Hansen has being able to sway the city, this deal wouldn't be moving forward at all. Though, most recent reports say that the deal between the Maloofs and the investment group isn't actually final, and may fall through completely.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And here I had the Kings heading for Las Vegas. Guess the Maloofs didn't want to be the trail blazers (no pun intended) into Sin City.

So the question is - will Stern & the NBA allow Ballmer & company to rename them "Sonics"? Or is that name just too "old fashioned" for Seattle nowadays?

bhamv3

bhamv3

The Seattle Sonickings!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

They're the Royals, except that there was a baseball team in the way when they moved to KC.

blotsfan

blotsfan

So the question is - will Stern & the NBA allow Ballmer & company to rename them "Sonics"? Or is that name just too "old fashioned" for Seattle nowadays?
When the move happened, Seattle maintained the rights to the name Sonics. I can't imagine that wont be it.

Poor Sacramento fans though. Relocations suck.

Gared

Gared

When the move happened, Seattle maintained the rights to the name Sonics. I can't imagine that wont be it.

Poor Sacramento fans though. Relocations suck.
Yeah, well, it's apparently not as done a deal as people thought it was yesterday. There's still no word of an official deal being made, and the mayor of Sacramento now wants to put together an ownership group to buy the team and keep them in Sacramento. They only have until the 1st of March, so that may be unlikely, but Seattle may have celebrated too soon yet again.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Seattle may have celebrated too soon yet again.
Yup. (Warning: long)

Gared

Gared

So basically what you're saying is, if the team name is the Kings, Seattle should cut and run?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

The local buzz here is (and has been since a year ago plus) that Kevin Johnson's been in contact with a few different investors, so I'm sure he's not just starting from scratch and scrambling in the dark at this point.

Honestly, the only thing that irks me about the whole situation, is the fact that not even a year ago the Maloofs repeatedly stated they would never sell the Kings, and that was after a couple offers had been made to buy them out and keep the Kings in Sacramento. We've known for a long time they're simply bleeding money, and it's gotten to the point where they're forced to sell off their last big asset. I never believed the Maloofs cared about the team or about basketball, they cared about the potential spotlight it could bring on themselves. All I hope is they let Sacramento have a chance to find the right buyer, and match any offer to attempt and keep them here.

I'm really torn too. Seattle and Sacramento both deserve teams. They have some of the best fans in the league, and it's unfortunate that they have to fight over the use of one team now. Should the Kings leave Sacramento for Seattle, I won't be bitter. I've loved the Kings since I remember my dad taking us to games when I was a wee lad. It's just very difficult to care for a team, when the team doesn't care for themselves.

Should Seattle get the team, I'm glad for two things: 1) Seattle is the one place I'd be okay with a team moving to. They were done dirty, and they hopefully would appreciate a team coming more than (most) any other city would. 2) You guys likely wouldn't have to deal with the Maloof empire.

It's interesting to see the different ways the local news sites, Sacramento and Seattle, report on the two sides of the story.

Gared

Gared

Should Seattle get the team, I'm glad for two things: 1) Seattle is the one place I'd be okay with a team moving to. They were done dirty, and they hopefully would appreciate a team coming more than (most) any other city would. 2) You guys likely wouldn't have to deal with the Maloof empire.
1) I'm still not sure how anyone sees Seattle as being a victim when the Sonics left, but since I generally really don't care about basketball, I'm not gonna argue the point.
2) We may not have to deal with the Maloof empire, but this would become the 3rd major sports franchise in the city to be owned by a software mogul, and the second to be owned (at least in part) by a Microsoft executive (Paul Allen owns the Seahawks). Believe me, they may not be as eccentric as the Maloof family, but they bring their own eccentricities into play. Like the fact that the owner of the Mariners, the current or former head of Nintendo America, has never been to a home baseball game in Seattle. He did attend what was technically a home game against the Oakland A's, but that game was played in Tokyo.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

From what I remember, and most of this is from my uncle who was an avid Sonics fan, he was telling me the arena was "far too outdated" as claimed by the league and owners, and with Seattle's refusal to help fund a new arena, they had no choice but to look into relocation. There seem to be some theories around that it had to do with the ability to sell tickets in a newer building for higher prices, and also that there were not enough luxury boxes to sell around to the wealthy folk. Again, whether this is 100% true or not, I'm not sure. It's likely to be a bit of bitter exaggeration from the fans of the Sonics.

The biggest problem I have with the Maloofs, is their recent behavior when it comes to trust and their word. You can see glimmers of it in the last 24 hours. From a deal that was almost a certainty, to being up in the air again.

They came to an agreement on how to help fund a new arena here in Sacramento last year. They met with city council and sat in when the agreement was hashed out. They took part in negotiations (along with their team etc,) and they shook hands with Kevin Johnson in front of the press, crying, saying they've finally reached a deal. They went on to take the floor of a Kings game, and announce again that they had been so relieved to reach a deal, and that the Kings were staying in Sacramento! ...Then a few weeks later, they backed out, saying they didn't like the way the financials of the deal broke down.

We had to deal with a couple years of that, and all the while, ticket prices continued to raise while our team continued to be neglected to be improved. It's tough to see them treat the city that loved their team like this.
Hopefully it works out for everyone, and we can all be winners, but I'm very much prepared to be a Sonic's fan now. I even have an old Gary Payton jersey my uncle got me when I was a kid.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I am not that big of an NBA fan, but I was quite glad that the Sonics came to OKC. I've been to a couple of games and they're a lot of fun. Downtown has been improving and the Thunder have really helped. It seems like nearly everyone has a Thunder shirt around here. I hope the support will continue when they are not such a young team. If I am not mistaken, their arena was built to woo either an NHL or NBA team. Since the NHL can't seem to keep the puck going, I'm glad it was the NBA that came here, but it sucks for the true fans in the abandoned cities.

Gared

Gared

The thing that really got me was how much anti-Thunder hate there was in Seattle during last season's playoffs. Rather than just being upset at Clay Bennett for moving the team, like usual around here, people were actively booing the players themselves for having "defected" to another city and being traitors. It was amusing to watch, to say the least.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Local news is reporting that the deal is done. $525 million dollar sale, not sure if that includes covering the debt that the Maloof's have to Sacramento. They're saying the Maloofs were holding out to keep a say in the operations, but ultimately they had to sell pretty much their entire stake in the team.

Go Sonics!

Gared

Gared

Local news is reporting that the deal is done. $525 million dollar sale, not sure if that includes covering the debt that the Maloof's have to Sacramento. They're saying the Maloofs were holding out to keep a say in the operations, but ultimately they had to sell pretty much their entire stake in the team.

Go Sonics!
I saw that (got a breaking news email alert from local media), but the report still said that it was unconfirmed, so I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Gared

Gared

And now the latest unofficial word, from a member of the Kings organization is that the earlier report is "inaccurate." Pretty much I'm not going to believe it until ESPN tells me.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Or, as I would say from someone who had to go through this hell with a certain idiot developer of a certain smartphone, don't believe it until they're taking the floor of the Key Arena in different uniforms.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Maloofs have sold the team, only awaiting league approval - which would mean goodbye, Sacramento and hello, Seattle.

Wonder if the Maloofs will try getting their own NBA team for Vegas after this...

blotsfan

blotsfan

I assume you're kidding about them getting an NBA team ever again after this, but they're still gonna be part owners in the Sonics.

linglingface

linglingface

Yay, Sonics are back! Basketball is easy enough to understand so I always enjoyed it more than the others! Been to a couple Mariner's games and I didn't know what I was cheering for most of the time. :p And football has too many rules. Five 1st downs, is it? That's whack.

drifter

drifter

Hmm, on one hand, Seattle now has a team to root for. On the other hand, they have to watch Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins. Talk about a monkey's paw scenario.

I assume you're kidding about them getting an NBA team ever again after this, but they're still gonna be part owners in the Sonics.
From what I understand, the Maloofs are selling their entire stake in the Kings (65%)?

blotsfan

blotsfan

No. See this article?
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-sources-maloofs-agree-sell-051543331--nba.html

A person familiar with the decision said that Hansen's group will buy 65 percent of the franchise, which is valued at a total price of $525 million, and move the team to Seattle and restore the SuperSonics name. The deal will cost the Hansen group a little more than $340 million. The Maloofs will have no stake in the team.

That clearly means that they're going to still own some of the team and my brain doesn't make things up randomly.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...The Maloofs only own 65% of the Kings franchise. Controlling interest.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

...The Maloofs only own 65% of the Kings franchise. Controlling interest.
From the Yahoo article:
The Seattle contingent is purchasing the Maloofs' portion of the franchise and a 12 percent share from minority owner Bob Hernreich.
The Maloofs have a 53% share. Still controlling interest.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Bottom line: if you own more than half the franchise, you get to say what it does - and, in this case, where it goes.

Gared

Gared

Bottom line: if you own more than half the franchise, you get to say what it does - and, in this case, where it goes.
Usually. There have been reports, however, that for some incredibly bizarre (or maybe not so bizarre, given the Maloofs' history) reason, when the original ownership agreement was set up with the Maloofs, a clause was put in the contract that the minority owners actually get first say in any purchasing or team moving deals, and that they could still refuse to honor the deal that the Maloofs have made with Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer's ownership group and demand that the team be sold instead to a group that would keep the team in Sacramento.[DOUBLEPOST=1358889661][/DOUBLEPOST]In other words, I'll believe that the Sacramento Kings are moving to Seattle when I see them wearing Sonics jerseys and playing in Key Arena, and not a moment sooner. Hell, Seattle even has history with deals falling apart after the team has left their previous location and before they've made it to the city. Our original MLB team left their Spring Training headquarters fully intending to end their trip in Seattle, but turned east onto I-84 and drove to Pittsburgh instead.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...I thought it was when they de-camped from Chandler and instead of flying to Sea-Tac, they flew in to Milwaukee Mitchell?

Gared

Gared

...I thought it was when they de-camped from Chandler and instead of flying to Sea-Tac, they flew in to Milwaukee Mitchell?
Eh, whichever. Bus, plane; Pittsburgh, Milwaukee. Either way, Seattle had a baseball team when they left camp, and didn't hours later.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I also understand the clubhouse guy for the Pilots was told to get two sets of logos ready: one that said "PILOTS" on the chest, and one that said "BREWERS" on them. That may be why the first edition of the Brewers uniforms were so odd looking.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I also understand the clubhouse guy for the Pilots was told to get two sets of logos ready: one that said "PILOTS" on the chest, and one that said "BREWERS" on them. That may be why the first edition of the Brewers uniforms were so odd looking.
The 'e' in Brewers was left over from the "Seattle" on the road unis. :)

Gared

Gared

So, yeah... we're gonna have to ask the city of Seattle to stop trying to buy teams named "The Kings," it just doesn't go smoothly.

Gared

Gared

Well, so much for that franchise. NBA votes down Sacramento Kings' move to Seattle. Seattle has got to stop trying to buy teams named the Kings.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Don't worry. Now, you can drive in to Milwaukee and see the Bucks!

...get swept out of the playoffs.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Well, so much for that franchise. NBA votes down Sacramento Kings' move to Seattle. Seattle has got to stop trying to buy teams named the Kings.

That was just a committee vote, the entire board still has to vote on it in May. But yeah, not looking too good for Seattle now. Although if the owners DO vote against the move, I'm sure there will be lawsuits by the Maloofs and the Seattle investment group, so this is probably far from over.

Timmus

Timmus

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Hey wait, Sacramento might win this. Where's my victory sound?

Timmus

Timmus

You don't get a victory sound cause it's not as funny. :p

Gared

Gared

See, I still maintain that Seattle would have kept their last team if more than 2k people went to the games on average in the last year or so that they were here; so all of the whining by "fans" that OKC stole the team, and that Howard Schultz is a horrible person for selling the team, and that Howard Stern is a hypocrite for allowing the moving of the Sonics but not the moving of the Kings is - while not surprising - incredibly amusing to me.

This is not a city that has die-hard fan bases that keep supporting teams while they slump. Hell, the Mariners just got done beating the Orioles in a 6 - 2 game that should have been a lot of fun to be at (lead off homer by Saunders in his first game back from the DL, complete game performance by the Mariners' pitcher, two or three double plays turned by our infielders, some good hits with runners in scoring position, including a triple by our 3rd baseman), and because the team's been struggling, the stadium was nearly empty. The Seahawks have a lot of fans at games now, but they've been making the playoffs for the past several seasons - they never had this kind of home-game support when they were putting up losing seasons; and the Sonics fans were the same way. Key Arena was packed to the rafters when the Sonics were winning, but they had trouble keeping it from looking completely empty in lean years, and it only holds 17k people. I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of the fans who actually attended games during the last couple years before the sale were fans of the visiting teams.

I seriously doubt that Seattle is going to get the Kings, and even with all of the hype surrounding the deal and all of the political talk of how important having an NBA team would be for the city, I'm not really all that certain that the city deserves to get one back right now.

Frank

Frank

Katz group here used the thread of moving the Oilers to Seattle if they didn't get a fully tax-payer paid for arena. Emptiest threat ever. Of course Edmonton capitulated.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And now every weak team in the NHL will be pegged as being on the road to Seattle.

(Looks over at those teams in Florida)

Gared

Gared

Katz group here used the thread of moving the Oilers to Seattle if they didn't get a fully tax-payer paid for arena. Emptiest threat ever. Of course Edmonton capitulated.
I almost feel a little bit bad for the investment group, after they bought up all of the land in the SoDo district for their new arena, managed to rush it through the city and county councils, got approval (without having to go through environmental reviews), shut down the port's lawsuits over said missing environmental reviews, and shelled out tens of millions of dollars as a deposit on the team; but only almost. They really should have known what they were getting into before laying down that kind of cash and using up all of that political capital.

Frank

Frank

And now every weak team in the NHL will be pegged as being on the road to Seattle.

(Looks over at those teams in Florida)
The Oilers suck, but the attendance does not. You won't find many NHL teams who can fill an arena like Edmonton.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

The Oilers suck, but the attendance does not. You won't find many NHL teams who can fill an arena like Edmonton.
I wish I lived near Dallas. I love the stars!

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I wish this would all just end already, I just want to know what's going to happen -_-

The Maloof's are so ridiculously against selling to Sacramento, I can't understand it

blotsfan

blotsfan

The Maloofs are pieces of shit. I hate that they're going to come out of this absurdly rich again.

Gared

Gared

And the vote is in. 22 votes against, 8 votes for. The Sacramento Kings will not be moving to Seattle. Commissioner Stern will be having a talk with the Maloofs in the coming week to... convince them... that they're happy to accept the (smaller) offer from the city of Sacramento and their ownership group, instead of the larger offer from Seattle, as he says that today's vote has clearly indicated that the Seattle ownership group is not allowed to purchase the Sacramento Kings.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I still say - Vegas, baby.