Export thread

Second Annual Halforums Anniversary Contest!

Dave

Dave

The November Contest is right around the corner. I have a couple of questions for people, though.

First, it's usually around the end of November but that might bring us into some kind of conflict with the Thanksgiving holiday for United Statesians. [STRIKE]So I'm doing a poll that will ask the DAY, not the time - which will start at noon CST. It'll be Friday 26 - Sunday 28, the poll is to determine the day.[/STRIKE]

Saturday at noon it is!

Second, with the loss of my wife's job, my grand design of giving away a Wii has gone out the window. So I need to know what kind of prize should be given away...and if anyone wants to donate something for said prize. Otherwise it might be just for fun. Let me know.

The Contest will be the same as last year - I will choose a forum user, place and object. The forum user will be placing the object somewhere in the world (no, the real person is not putting something somewhere - this is all fake). Each person showing up in the IRC or Vent can ask 1 yes/no question per hour to determine what the object is, who put it there and where the hell they put it. Winner must PM me a picture of the hiding user's avatar, a picture of the item and a snapshot of the place from Google MAPS.

Last year we had a hell of a good time doing this and found out that it's possible to have something West of Acapulco. Maybe not DIRECTLY West, but West nonetheless.

If you have any other ideas or comments, let me know.

Wahad

Wahad

November Contest

I am not losing out at the last minute again. Revenge, revenge I say!

Though for Calleja's mental health it might be better not to locate the object near Mexico.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

November Contest

What WAS the winning combo for last year?

Also, I think the prize should be a gift card for somewhere (possibly to used for Christmas shopping) and a Halforums I.O.U from Dave. It wouldn't be redeemable for anything, but instead serve kinda like the No Prize from Marvel. Maybe you could frame it or something and have the Halforums face on it?

Dave

Dave

November Contest

Klew hid a copy of Madden '10 on a boat in the harbor of Zihuatanejo, Mexico.

Zihuatanejo is West of Acapulco, but not directly so. When someone asked if it was West I said yes. What I did not say was that it was NORTH and West. Calleja still has fits about this as THERE'S NOTHING WEST OF ACAPULCO, DAMN IT!!!

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

And I already know who's hiding what and where. I even may have an additional bonus wrinkle if you zero in on it too quickly.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

November Contest

I finally get the nothing west of Acapulco, damn it local meme. I don't know how I missed that.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

November Contest

How can we donate?

Dave

Dave

November Contest

Depends on what it is you are donating. Send me a PM and we'll rap, yo!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

November Contest

Wait... on a boat in boat in the harbor of Zihuatanejo, Mexico... you thought this up after watching the Shawshank Redemption!

Dave

Dave

November Contest

Wait... on a boat in boat in the harbor of Zihuatanejo, Mexico... you thought this up after watching the Shawshank Redemption!
Yet nobody caught on until almost the end...

Calleja

Calleja

Saying Zihuatanejo is west of Acapulco is like saying San Francisco is west of Los Angeles ¬¬

Dave

Dave

Saying Zihuatanejo is west of Acapulco is like saying San Francisco is west of Los Angeles ¬¬
It is. It is also NORTH of Los Angeles.

Calleja

Calleja

IT'S ALONG THE SAME COAST YOU DAFT OLD MAN!! IF YOU TELL PEOPLE WEST WHEN THEY'RE AT A WEST COAST THEY'RE NOT GONNA LOOK NORTH!!!

GAAAHH!!

Dave

Dave

Would you like me to prove it using latitudes and longitudes?

Dude, I'm being very, very literal. The question was if it was West. Yes. Did they ask if it were also North? No. At least not at first.

Calleja

Calleja

Whatever, I know it was all fixed and you knew that's the one part of the world I know geography well and was getting too close so you pulled a technicality out of your ass to SCREW WITH THE MEXICAN!

I'm on to you :angry:

Dave

Dave

Then this year should be perfect for you. >:D

Calleja

Calleja

I don't think I'll be able to play this time, though, Saturday's the one day I get to LEAVE THIS FUCKING HOUSE (working from home makes you hate your house)

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I still remember drunkenly trying to find the thing and being just slightly late.

Krisken

Krisken

I seem to recall one of us had the item, one had the person, and one had the location. It was quite the kerfuffle.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm calling the first question: "Is this location featured in a popular Hollywood movie from the past 20 years?"

David

David

I probably won't be able to log on. Just found out my family's doing thanksgiving at my grandma's house that day.

Dave

Dave

Crap. Will that day work for ANYONE?!?

DO I need to move it to Sunday?

Cajungal

Cajungal

That whole weekend won't work for me. Got company comin from abroad. But y'all have a good time. :)

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Maybe I can finally win something, seeing as how no one else will be able to show up.

Wahad

Wahad

Not so fast, Bumble. You still have me to deal with! Hah!

Krisken

Krisken

I'd say you'll have me to deal with, but honestly the whole location thing will throw me every time.

Calleja

Calleja

I hear ya, my brain isn't wired to read maps or have a sense of direction. I've literally gotten lost in my own neighborhood because some douche decided to paint his house which I USED AS REFERENCE TO KNOW WHEN TO TURN.

I've relied on a good visual memory to navigate my entire life, which is why I've been known to go back to my house straight across town just so I can get to a place near to where I originally was because I know no other route. It's fun being me.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

IT WAS SHEGO IN THE GENERAL FORUM WITH A STILETTO HEEL!

drifter

drifter

So, uh, what's the address for Vent/IRC again?

Dave

Dave

I'll be posting that stuff here in a second.

Krisken

Krisken

I should be around for it. Just need to run off and get a few things first.

Looking forward to the chaos :)

Hylian

Hylian

Man I wish I could be here for the fun events to come. But alas I am stuck going to my nephews birthday party that will last forever :(

Krisken

Krisken

Alienate yourself from the rest of your family. It's the only way.

Hylian

Hylian

I tried jokingly telling my sister that the kid was just turning one and he wouldn't remember any of the events. And she replied back with he would remember than from the pictures. I told her I would photoshop myself into a few so he could remember me being there. And even as a joke it went over very poorly.

Dave

Dave

Here's the Ventrilo information:

Server IP: chi4.ugt-servers.com Port: 21169
NO PASSWORD NEEDED

The IRC tab has been added back above. It's marked "Hal IRC". I'm in and getting ready right now. We start promptly at 12 CST which is in about 45 from this writing.

I hope we have as many people show as we did last year, but man it seems I chose the wrong day!

David

David

So how'd it go?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So how'd it go?
We've made it an ongoing contest, because too many people were unable to participate. You can ask a yes or no question once a day, which Dave will answer truthfully (not necessarily usefully though). All the answered questions are on that page and you ask them there too. We have two people who have already correctly guessed the correct person and have narrowed the location down to the Australia/Oceania area.

Get cracking everyone!

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Actually, he never announced it, but I figured out the person too ;)