so apparently qwerty keyboards rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rubicon

i joined the legion of cell addicts today0 i traded in my gophone and picked up a contract phone. picked up a Pantech Matrix, love it, posted ths from my phone. pics next post

D

Dusty668

I would, but I really have no one to text. Call either for that matter.

I have an Instinct, with a huge freaking touch screen. I love the screen, but i wish it also had a slide out keyboard...typing on a touch screen sucks.

E

elph

My new toy. I finally got it last week. Time to get the data plan and burst out with all the free stuff I can do now.

E

elph

What Nokia is that Calleja? So far that's the only one I'm liking more then what I've got (by look alone). Does it have a physical keyboard, or is it all touch?

It's the Nokia 5800.. Symbian S60 v5, baby!!

No, its all touch, but it has several input methods, including the stylus-aided handwriting recognition, you can even train it.. it really does work lighnintg fast. I love the Full-screen qwerty keyboard too, and haptic feedback FTW!

E

elph

Mine has the haptic feedback. I'm not sure I'd like it if it didn't. I need the tactile responce. I like the physical more then the touch keyboard (this one has both as qwerty) it also has handwriting recognition (not sure if it's trainable, haven't really tried it yet). I can get a stylus for it, but there really isn't a place to store it *in* the phone (I'm assuming there is one on that Nokia) so I'm not sure I'm going to bother yet. It's also the first AMOLED screen in the US and it's so very nice and clear.

I think there are 2 things I don't like about my phone. 1) Proprietary jack. It's not such a big deal for the data / charger aspect of things since it comes with a data cable & charger, but for headphone adapters, I wish it had a 3.5mm jack. Then I'd get rid of my iPod. 2) No flash/lighting to support the camera. The camera on my phone is in some ways better then my normal digital camera (outside of resolution, flash, and optical zoom - my camera beats out those).

Ziggy (that's my phone's name) has a 3.5mm Jack that also works, with the appropriate cable, as a video OUT... and being Symbian you can install pretty much ANYTHING you fucking want. I'm playing .avis I download off the internet on it for long bus rides.. watching Conan on my phone rocks.

The awesome camera flash? I have an app that let's me use it as a flashlgiht. And yeah, the stylus gets stored seamlessly.. you can see it on the bottom left corner of the backside in the first pic.

It's the open-source response to the iphone, basically.

R

Rubicon

Palm Pre, bitches:

But.. that keyboard... it's so... small.[/QUOTE]

Oh, but it is MUCH smaller in person..

A guy in my office has one, and god damn its the tiniest keyboard I ever saw..

It looks so cheap and flimsy, the keyboard slides from the bottom/screen to the top, and its got this conclave setup where it kinda archs, the keys are super tiny and honestly, it looks like a toy cell phone. The screen is nice but the thing is so flimsy and light weight, you could drop it out of your pocket and never know it, sometimes being light as a feather aint good.

The only thing mine lacks is a touchscreen. I can live without it. Though I wouldnt mind a large screen, make watching youtube videos (yay 3g) a little easier on the eyes.

I have an Instinct, with a huge freaking touch screen. I love the screen, but i wish it also had a slide out keyboard...typing on a touch screen sucks.
This. I bought the instinct because I knew Samsung wanted it to be an iPhone killer. I knew it wouldn't come close, but I bought it anyways, thinking that I could benefit from the effort they would no doubt be putting in to it ...

Phone is decent, but not nearly what I thought I was buying.

R

Rubicon

This. I bought the instinct because I knew Samsung wanted it to be an iPhone killer. I knew it wouldn't come close, but I bought it anyways, thinking that I could benefit from the effort they would no doubt be putting in to it ...

Phone is decent, but not nearly what I thought I was buying.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I think that is going to compete with the iPhone will be Android

Honestly, I think Apple has the touchscreen market nailed shut, others can make good touch screens / touch screen phones but the iphone seems to be the best at what it does currently

I say Android because, there will be those cell phone users who may want software advancement (other than the Apple App Store) and features rather than the tech standpoint of the iPhone. I mean, I love my phone and is it as powerful as an iPhone? Not really. It offers similar features, does a few things better etc but I still like it more than an iPhone simply cause it fits my needs.

I'd consider an iPhone, since I can afford it now but why by a iPhone 3GS when ya know, next Summer or Fall, Apple will release the iPhone 3GSX or whatever, with some improvements etc over the previous version

Shannow

Staff member
which phone is that? it looks like exactly what i want: Big touch screen & slide out keyboard
Samsung Impression SGH-A877
http://www.samsungimpression.net/[/quote]

If you get (or have one) a good site to find all the neat tricks you can do with it...
http://www.samsung-impression.org/

Soon as I pick up the data plan I'll be getting my GPS set up for free.[/quote]

So you did take my advice from that thread. Good for you!

Also, having had it for a few months..I still love my impression. Such a great touch screen and interface, and the extra large qwerty slide out is so awesome.

E

elph

which phone is that? it looks like exactly what i want: Big touch screen & slide out keyboard
Samsung Impression SGH-A877
http://www.samsungimpression.net/[/quote]

If you get (or have one) a good site to find all the neat tricks you can do with it...
http://www.samsung-impression.org/

Soon as I pick up the data plan I'll be getting my GPS set up for free.[/quote]

So you did take my advice from that thread. Good for you!

Also, having had it for a few months..I still love my impression. Such a great touch screen and interface, and the extra large qwerty slide out is so awesome.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after comparing the 2 and realizing that 1 would raise my bill by $30, and one might raise it by $10, it was really a no brainer. I like it. Like I said above, there are a few things I don't like, but they really are minor.

K

KenjiFinster

iPhone for me!
(Before that, I had a Treo. Nice kb, sucky software)

Status
Not open for further replies.