Export thread

So... cadmium

makare

I bought all those Shrek glasses from McDonald's because I like the glasses and I like Shrek. I just found out they are all being recalled because they might have cadmium on them. How toxic is this stuff? I read that kids shouldn't use them but the worry there was that kids will use them and then put their hands in their mouths. I generally don't do that.

Does anyone know anything about cadmium or have an idea on the relative safety of the glasses?

Element 117

Cadmium is used in oil paints, and is not radioactively toxic, though it's not a good idea to ingest. I survived art school with Cadmium red smeared all over my body at various points. So yeah. don't eat or inhale it. If it's a drinking glass, I'd avoid using them.

makare

:( thanks

phil

phil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_poisoning

The first part alone would make me get rid of it.

"Cadmium has no constructive purpose in the human body. Cadmium and its compounds are extremely toxic even in low concentrations, and will bioaccumulate in organisms and ecosystems."

Chazwozel

I think you need to eat these glasses... it's the only way to be sure.

makare

How about you eat shit and die and make the world a better place.

Chazwozel

How about you eat shit and die and make the world a better place.[/QUOTE]

At least shit is less toxic than ingesting large quantities of cadmium. MMMMMmmmm e coli!

makare

At least shit is less toxic than ingesting large quantities of cadmium. MMMMMmmmm e coli![/QUOTE]

oh yeah you did flip that shit in your mouth didnt you... and you said it was mistake. you coy bastard.

Chazwozel

At least shit is less toxic than ingesting large quantities of cadmium. MMMMMmmmm e coli![/QUOTE]

oh yeah you did flip that shit in your mouth didnt you... and you said it was mistake. you coy bastard.[/QUOTE]

Uh what?

Element 117

she's takling about the day some sample ended up in your mouth.... though to be honest I don't remember if it was you?

Chazwozel

she's takling about the day some sample ended up in your mouth.... though to be honest I don't remember if it was you?

Jesus, that was like a year ago... And it really wasn't that big a deal. Wow.... psycho....

makare

Jesus, that was like a year ago... And it really wasn't that big a deal. Wow.... psycho....[/QUOTE]

Look, I realize that you forget everything you say and do the second it is over with but *I* have a functioning long term memory.

Chazwozel

Jesus, that was like a year ago... And it really wasn't that big a deal. Wow.... psycho....[/QUOTE]

Look, I realize that you forget everything you say and do the second it is over with but *I* have a functioning long term memory.[/QUOTE]

psycho....

Krisken

Krisken

Look, I realize that you forget everything you say and do the second it is over with but *I* have a functioning long term memory.[/QUOTE]
Probably because you don't eat shit.

Chazwozel

Probably because you don't eat shit.[/QUOTE]

Perk of the job, I suppose.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Chaz, get the fuck off it. You go out of your way to find posts by Makare and act like a douche. You both need to put each other on ignore. Seriously.

Chazwozel

Chaz, get the fuck off it. You go out of your way to find posts by Makare and act like a douche. You both need to put each other on ignore. Seriously.

Here's my initial post: I think you need to eat these glasses... it's the only way to be sure.

Ring a bell:

Does anyone here ever know how to take a fucking joke without getting their panties in a bunch?

Calleja

Calleja

Oh man, it's bigger than I thought.

the horror

PatrThom

PatrThom

Cadmium. It's the new lead!

--Patrick

Matt²

I suppose if you want to end up like this guy, go ahead and drink from the glasses.. I wouldn't, but he does.

Calleja

Calleja

Question for the OP, though.... and with no snarkyness intended.... why did you call them glasses and not cups? This is actually one of the english conventions that most baffle me... a container is only a glass when it's made of glass but if it's made of plastic or Styrofoam or wood or whatever it's a "cup", right? Or are they like glasses for your eyes and I'm being incredibly dense right now?

drifter

drifter

I'm pretty sure that dude turned blue from drinking colloidal silver, not cadmium.

Chazwozel

After a couple drops of LSD everyone turns blue... and purple and green and orange...

makare

Question for the OP, though.... and with no snarkyness intended.... why did you call them glasses and not cups? This is actually one of the english conventions that most baffle me... a container is only a glass when it's made of glass but if it's made of plastic or Styrofoam or wood or whatever it's a "cup", right? Or are they like glasses for your eyes and I'm being incredibly dense right now?
they are made of glass.

figmentPez

figmentPez

A glass, when talking about a drinking vessel, can be made of any material. A glass is "a tumbler or other comparatively tall, handleless drinking container." Cups, on the other hand, usually have handles, or are shorter/more squat than glases. Though disposables tend to be called cups regardless of shape.

Calleja

Calleja

Why are these:

"cups" then?

makare

When they are empty i call them cups but when im using them i call them glasses.

the real answer is that english is screwy.

Calleja

Calleja

GORRAM IT

They're made of glass though... that explains everything for me. I never thought McDonald's would sell anything made of actual glass, though.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm pretty sure that dude turned blue from drinking colloidal silver, not cadmium.
Or working with it. We have a regular at work who suffers from Argyria like that guy. Colloidal silver is just the way that people tend to do it as the result of doing something to themselves deliberately.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Why are these:

"cups" then?
As I mentioned in my ninja edit, they're disposables. Why that makes them cups and not glasses is beyond me, but I'm betting there are regions that call them glasses.

makare

GORRAM IT

They're made of glass though... that explains everything for me. I never thought McDonald's would sell anything made of actual glass, though.
Yes they do. and the last shrek glasses for the third movie I only got one glass. they are very sturdy glasses and I love them. But now I have to take them back. I am really mad about that :(

Calleja

Calleja

So you can actually say "wooden glass".... man, that feels like it should be an oxymoron.

makare

I never say get me a cup of soda regardless of what it is in. So that matters too. If someone brought me a glass with coffee in it i would probably still call it a cup.

figmentPez

figmentPez

So you can actually say "wooden glass".... man, that feels like it should be an oxymoron.
Excuse me while I put some stainless steel silverware into the dishwasher.

Calleja

Calleja

English.... the epitome of arbitrary.

figmentPez

figmentPez

and hide the plastic silverware.

Calleja

Calleja

"silverware" is not as much of a mindfuck as "glass", though, it feels much more like a derivation.

Null

Null

Well, silverware should only apply when it's silver, everything else should be "flatware", "tableware", or "utensils". But when you say 'silverware', everyone knows what you mean, regardless of the material, and it's pretty much the same for "glass" when referring to a drinking vessel.

Calleja

Calleja

Hence the subjective "feels".

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Nothing was wrong with the first thing he said.

Basically, this would mean he and makare can't respond to each other's posts at all, because even if they say nothing wrong, it's still perceived as bad.

Calleja

Calleja

Chaz trolls up pretty much everyone like that, it's just that there's so much bad blood between him and makare that she'll instantly jump up at it... and Chaz knows so and instead of backing off pushes it further cause...... well, he's Chaz.

So yes, I agree with escushion... but there's a bit more to it than that.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Hence the subjective "feels".
Which is a good point. There are probably even more blatant contradictions in English, but if they're more removed from the context it might not have the same moment where it just hurts your brain to consider it.

For instance, awful use to mean "full of awe" and could mean something of great beauty or great terror. Now it just means something bad or even just pathetic. (Even it's replacement, awesome, doesn't really have the same grand meaning it used to). However, even though awful is often used to describe things that don't invoke any awe at all, it doesn't have the same impact as realizing that glasses aren't always made of glass.

Calleja

Calleja

wow... holy shit, I had never put "awful" in the "awe" context. It makes so much sense. Shit, I learned something new today.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Lots of words like that. Another, Everything, A lot, just about every word ending in -ful, even such things as Breakfast.

--Patrick

Calleja

Calleja

yeah, it was the "awe" part that surprised me.

Necronic

Necronic

Wait....WHAT? How the FUCK did you pull that off?????

omg that is hilarious. Epic fail.

Chazwozel

Wait....WHAT? How the FUCK did you pull that off?????

omg that is hilarious. Epic fail.[/QUOTE]

I was pipetting some clones. I had like 30 5mL cultures and I'm doing 3mL mini-preps on them, so I'm moving pretty fast in between cultures. I plunked the pipette in too fast or flicked the edge of the conical tube, either way I felt like a drop of culture hit my lip. I ran over to the sink and washed my face and rinsed my mouth. It wasn't a big deal, just one of those things were you get grossed out.

Bones

Bones

I think it just makes chaz a real scientist of HONOR, I am of the opinion you shouldn't call yourself a practitioner of the dark arts until you do something stupid to yourself while working. I called my greatest moment lighting my arm on fire while working with ether.

Chazwozel

I think it just makes chaz a real scientist of HONOR, I am of the opinion you shouldn't call yourself a practitioner of the dark arts until you do something stupid to yourself while working. I called my greatest moment lighting my arm on fire while working with ether.

I've spelled out my name in ethanol numerous times and set it on fire on the lab bench.

The best are dry ice bombs. You take a microcentrifuge tube and pack in some dry ice and a little bit of water. Close the cap and throw that fucker in a trash can. It's always best to do it to someone surfing the internet.

Bones

Bones

truly chazwozel, is a man cut of the same cloth as myself.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Oooh, SCIENCE! shenanigans. I know there's more tales out there - please enlighten a poor blue-collar worker with more tomfoolery amongst the test tubes. *grins*

Seriously... Everyone always thinks of scientists as staid and boring. We know y'all have an acerbic wit and a propensity for pranks, and it would appear that you have access to some pretty nifty materials...

Suddenly, a resonance cascade failure doesn't seem so far-fetched......

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Sometimes they make zombie viruses to wipe out the human race.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Resident Evil makes much more sense now!

Krisken

Krisken

Resident Evil makes much more sense now!
Lies!

Chazwozel

Calleja;395112[B said:
]Chaz trolls up pretty much everyone like that,[/B] it's just that there's so much bad blood between him and makare that she'll instantly jump up at it... and Chaz knows so and instead of backing off pushes it further cause...... well, he's Chaz.

So yes, I agree with escushion... but there's a bit more to it than that.
I resent that you call it trolling. I'm not trying to bait people much of the time. I just like to make little quips about their posts. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Element 117

n.
1. A clever, witty remark often prompted by the occasion.
2. A clever, often sarcastic remark; a gibe. See Synonyms at joke.
3. A petty distinction or objection; a quibble.

Null

Null

Isn't cadmium the main ingredient in vegemite?

Krisken

Krisken

Surprisingly, no.

Null

Null

Tastes like it.

David

David

I thought cadmium was those creme eggs they sell around Easter?

Chibibar

I am kinda sad. I was going to buy these glasses. Sure I personally was going to display them, but sometimes I might drink out of it (since it is a glass cup after all)

As for calling it cup/glass, I am not sure. I think it has to do with a shape. If a cup is made of glass but shape of a cup (small and fits in the hand) it might be called a cup. If it is REALLY small, a shot glass. Weird huh? ;)

Cadmium - That seems to be in everything lately (or at least more known about it) It was made in China wasn't it? I do believe the Chinese is trying to take out some U.S. people slowly but surely.

curbstreet

So Braveheart the Shark and Alice are pissing back and forth at each other? And we find out that a year ago the Braveheart Shark was licking crap off stuff at work. (Exaggerated for effect)

Sometimes I have to double check my favorites to make sure I'm not at 4chan.

I swear to god the internet makes LSD look like Flintstone chewables.

I'll go back to lurking again.

Chazwozel

So Braveheart the Shark and Alice are pissing back and forth at each other? And we find out that a year ago the Braveheart Shark was licking crap off stuff at work. (Exaggerated for effect)

Sometimes I have to double check my favorites to make sure I'm not at 4chan.

I swear to god the internet makes LSD look like Flintstone chewables.

I'll go back to lurking again.
UUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Bones

Bones

so chaz, are you the tastemaker?