Export thread

So I had a Twinkie today

Chazwozel

and washed it down with a YooHoo. My mouth went all like, "dude, is it 1988 again?"

You guys ever get massively nostalgic from certain kinds of foods?

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Blue Nehi and those candy cigarettes! Oh, and Fun Dip!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Anytime I am on a road trip I buy myself a Yoohoo when I stop for gas at least one time. I've almost always had one on family trips since I was a kid.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Every time I have a Judice Inn cheeseburger I think of my grandpa taking me there when I was 4 and scolding me for ordering a cheese sandwich and not a burger.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Devil Cremes do it for me. My grandma always got them for me back when she lived with us.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Ooo those oatmeal cookie cream sandwiches. Mom used to buy us those for after school snacks.

AND those cheap cookies with the picture of the happy chef on them--they were kind of shaped like flowers and had holes in the middle? Those and cheez balls remind me of my great grandma. She always kept those for us.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Little Debbie brownies with the nuts picked off the top.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Any kind of porridge makes me very nostalgic.

ElJuski

ElJuski

1. Big Boy
2. Dadu icecream

Dave

Dave

Swiss Cake Rolls.

And Dinty Moore Beef Stew, but that makes my heart palpitate.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

There's this stuff my grandma and mom makes for Thanksgiving every year. We call it the "pink stuff." It's some sort of cranberry/cool whip/marshmellow concoction. I don't really like it anymore, but I eat it anyway to make them happy. I do get a bit nostalgic seeing it on the table.

Blueberry muffins and pancakes made from scratch also makes me think of my mom, but I'm not really nostalgic about those.

I feel like I should have more things, but I can't think of anymore.

Cajungal

Cajungal

The dish that probably brings back most of my memories of high school years is wheat pasta with sauteed vegetables stirred in with olive oil. We ate that 3-5 times a night. I was so sick of it. I hope I never eat it again.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

The dish that probably brings back most of my memories of high school years is wheat pasta with sauteed vegetables stirred in with olive oil. We ate that 3-5 times a night. I was so sick of it. I hope I never eat it again.
I just about posted my least favorite dish from childhood. Mine was goulash, or at least that's what my mom called it. It was essentially, ground beef with tons of garlic powder, canned diced tomatoes, and elbow macaroni. Blech. I never want to see that again. We had that a few times a week as well.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yikes.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Indeed.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

BBQ Lays. Not that KC Masterpiece crap, but the original that I heard was invented by Justin Wilson. When I eat it, it reminds me of my summer days hanging out at the Knights of Columbus Pool. I'd get dropped of there for about 4-7 hours of swimming and watching the really hot life guard. I was left with enough money for a fountain coke and a bag of chips. I swear every time I have them now that they have come back... I look down to see if my hands have pruned up from being in the water too long.

Rubicon

I love Yoo Hoo, chocolately goodness.

TwoBit

Used to eat nerds all the time in the early 90s. Had some just recently for the first time in more than a decade. It sure was nostalgic. In fact, it was more than nostalgic, it was fucking RAD.

Gurpel

Gurpel

apricot jam.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

For me it would be a hot dog on wheat bread and a glass of Strawberry Quick. That was a common meal for me when I was a kid.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I really get nostalgic for country fried steak and brown beans.

Grandma made the best in the world...I would scarf it down till I got sick.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Macaroni and cheese with corn kernels thrown in. My brother and I would eat that a lot when we were kids.

Wasabi Poptart

Strawberry shortcake made with Bisquick. My grandmom used to make them in the late spring/early summer. I'm allergic to strawberries, but I would always eat it one time during the year when she made it and take some Benadryl afterward.

Krisken

Krisken

Mike and Ikes and Hershey's Cookies and Cream.

A friend of mine worked at the local paper subbing station. Free coupons for those went to us. I can't eat another Hershey's Cookies and Cream after a box of 48 were consumed in a week.

Jay

Jay

Vanilla Coke.

<3

Koko

The one, the only...
the

LordRendar

LordRendar

Rice with Tuna and an Omlet :S

Piotyr

Piotyr

Hostess Fruit Pies for me.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

These!

I drank like over 9000 of these on every family trip.

Joe Johnson

Oh yeah, those weird drinks in the clear plastic "kegs", those were always in the produce aisle in our grocery store for some reason.

I equate those with the little wax bottles full of similar liquid.

My childhood thing was either Pop-tarts, or a Watchamacalit with a Dr. Pepper.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Aaaaaah Watchamacalit! So good. And such a wonderfully weird commercial, too.

Joe Johnson

Waddayacallit?

rabbitgod

Hostess Cupcakes

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Big League Chew. I thought I was so cool.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Forgot Otter Pops!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

You mean these?

I loved Squeeze-Its as a kid, but my parents would only buy them on my birthday or a similar occasion.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I think he means Nickel Nips.

Joe Johnson

No, these:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/b...tafeed&sku=/K231&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=/K231

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Ninja'd - yes Cajungal.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Joe Johnson

Slightly disturbing name.

Not to mention, I keep thinking in my head; "nipple lips"

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

You mean these?

I loved Squeeze-Its as a kid, but my parents would only buy them on my birthday or a similar occasion.[/QUOTE]

Oh my God I had forgotten about those. My brother and I had to beg to get them, even though it was basically Kool-Aid for rich kids.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

I was a camp counselor for the YMCA a few summers ago and packed my lunch every day.

I put Squeezeits in my brown bag every day!

LordRavage

Red Velvet cake takes me to a happier time.

And Chocodiles rocked!!!!

Qonas

Wasabi Poptart

Tandy Cakes. I haven't had these in forever, but my grandpop and I would have them with milk for a snack on Saturday afternoons. Unless you're from the Northeast US you'll probably have no idea what they are.

Looks like now they are called Kandy Kakes.

lafftaff

YooHoo and Chiclets Gum

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Since I read this thread, I have been trying to think of something, but nothing comes to mind...

Probably because, if it's avaliable today, I'm probably eating it sometimes.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

My parents would never buy me Ecto Cooler because "that's nothing but sugar." Same thing went for most of the kid cereals.

figmentPez

figmentPez

My parents would never buy me Ecto Cooler because "that's nothing but sugar." Same thing went for most of the kid cereals
My parents were similar. I get to be nostalgic about stuff like:

and

The kind of candy you found in health food stores.

*sigh* I'm glad my mom's standards lowered over time, but early on in my childhood I got carob-coated malt balls in my stocking at Christmas. At least baked goods were always real stuff. My grandmother made awesome monster cookies, and my mom made this stuff she called kringla, but actually wasn't. It was some sort of puff pastry soaked in icing, though. Mmm, so good.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi