Export thread

So I just got back from a funeral...

WolfOfOdin

And I had to write/read the eulogy. Is it a good idea to spend the rest of the week in a drunken haze? If so, Whiskey or Rum?

phil

phil

I'm going to go with no on this one. Maybe if you're not alone, and replace week with tonight.

Sorry to hear it, man. If it helps, when my buddy died a couple years ago it really helped me to just hang with my friends and maybe talk about the good things, you know?

Being alone always makes me feel worse when I'm sad about something.

RealBigNuke

Depressants and thinking about death doesn't seem like a great combination. If you wanna get drunk, try to go out with friends.

Also, condolences. =(

bhamv3

bhamv3

Sorry to hear that, Wolf ol' boy.

I went to a funeral last week, for the father of a female friend. She's one of those really outgoing, happy, bubbly and enthusiastic girls, you know? So when I heard the sheer pain and sadness in her voice when she read the eulogy, I was... it's like my heart broke on her behalf.

Funerals are rough, I don't blame you for wanting to inebriate yourself.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Depressants and thinking about death doesn't seem like a great combination. If you wanna get drunk, try to go out with friends.

Also, condolences. =(
Agreed. Try and gather with other people who know the deceased and think about good times. If you're alone and sad, think about something that person said to you that either made you laugh or made you think, and remember that that part of them will never leave you.

That's probably not comforting right now when all this is so close to you, but it helps along the line.

I'm so sorry, Wolf. I wish you and yours a speedy healing of hearts.

Shannow

Shannow

Whiskey.

Math242

Math242

definitely rum

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am a whiskey drinker. I vote rum. When you are emotional and drinking whiskey, bad things can and normally do happen (it is an angry drunk.) Make it one night not the whole week. Nothing good ever comes out of being too drunk.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, I vote against whiskey too, for the same reason as Phil. I vote white wine or cognac.

Shakey

Shakey

I'm a whiskey drinker too, and I vote rum. Whiskey can lead to bad things if you are already in a not so good mood.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I don't think I'm entirely with it today. I read the thread title as "I just got banned from a funeral."

HowDroll

HowDroll

Are you people *REALLY* encouraging him to drink alone? :facepalm:

Covar

Covar

Surround yourself with friends an family. It will help you keep it together.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Friends + whiskey + ginger ale/soda + something to do together = the healing begins

Whiskey is optional. But if you absolutely feel that you must knock yourself senseless, do it with some proper Jameson or Kilbeggan.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now, just why is the alcohol in whiskey so much meaner than other liquors?

I was sitting around with two friends drinking beers, we order some shots (hot damns I think.), then later ordered some Wild Turkey (the dirty bird.) We were laughing having a good time, took the shots....

You could tell that our demeanor had changed. Like flipping a switch. 30 seconds after the shot we just got up, and went our separate ways.

Shakey

Shakey

It's one of the mysteries of life. Scotch and Irish whiskey doesn't seem that bad, but bourbon really gets me going.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I was sitting around with two friends drinking beers, we order some shots (hot damns I think.), then later ordered some Wild Turkey (the dirty bird.) We were laughing having a good time, took the shots....

You could tell that our demeanor had changed. Like flipping a switch. 30 seconds after the shot we just got up, and went our separate ways.
That's why you never take just a shot of whiskey. My tactic is simple: a shot of Jameson on the rocks, followed by a glass of ginger ale. Not down at once, but sipped so that you get the nice feeling of warmth without the morose air.

Covar

Covar

That's why you never take just a shot of whiskey. My tactic is simple: a shot of Jameson on the rocks, followed by a glass of ginger ale. Not down at once, but sipped so that you get the nice feeling of warmth without the morose air.[/QUOTE]
I like a Jack and Coke myself.

WolfOfOdin

I usually drink The Knot when it's Whiskey, smooth enough to knock back a 3-finger glass like it's a shot. I also don't drink alone, I'd more than likely grab a bottle, go out with some friends and spend a night at my best friend's cabin

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I usually drink The Knot when it's Whiskey, smooth enough to knock back a 3-finger glass like it's a shot. I also don't drink alone, I'd more than likely grab a bottle, go out with some friends and spend a night at my best friend's cabin
When you're drinking, if you start to feel depressed or angry, then do yourself a favor and stop. Don't make excuses, and just quit for the night, you'll save yourself from needless drama.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Grab other mutual friends, and drink to his life and all your memories.

I know it seems like a fine difference, but in my mind there's a huge gap between drinking to avoid feeling upset your friend/family member is gone, and drinking to celebrate his life and the people he formed his closest bonds with.

EDIT: I also feel like you'll be less likely to get totally smashed (maybe).

Shannow

Shannow

That's why you never take just a shot of whiskey. My tactic is simple: a shot of Jameson on the rocks, followed by a glass of ginger ale. Not down at once, but sipped so that you get the nice feeling of warmth without the morose air.[/QUOTE]

Complete opposite. I Always drink shots of Jameson when I am out.