Export thread

So that is how Shego can find people..... (router hacks)

Chibibar

BBC News - Web attack knows where you live

Interesting stuff. Basically, using MAC address, booby-trap website and Geo-location on google to find you.

Dave

Dave

Wow. Now THAT is fucking scary!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Whoa... looks like Google needs to tighten up their security a wee bit.

I suppose the silver lining is that you need to visit a webapge that is booby trapped by the hacker who's trying to track you down... which may or may not be very likely to happen.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That's it, I'm getting off the net and living in a cave.

... For ten minutes.

Chibibar

Whoa... looks like Google needs to tighten up their security a wee bit.

I suppose the silver lining is that you need to visit a webapge that is booby trapped by the hacker who's trying to track you down... which may or may not be very likely to happen.
True, you would have to visit a site, but then people might have legit site and have the "code" in it then some hacker get the info from those sites.... like that never happen before *sarcasm*

I'm sure some webdev people would love to know where their clients would be and hopefully store in a safe place, but as we have learn of late, even some of the big company been "losing" client data due to hacks and well... poor data management.

Of course people would ask me "Why would vendors want to know where people buy stuff from?" why not? I mean we give out our zip code all the time. That is kinda "regional" thing and some people give fake data. This method (hopefully NEVER implemented) would get some REAL hardcore data that marketer would kill for. Actual location and can find out which city love to buy X items more than others, or even ordering pizza? deliveries? postal tracking?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not as useful for mobile devices (iPhone, Blackberry, etc) but still interesting.

--Patrick

Chibibar

Not as useful for mobile devices (iPhone, Blackberry, etc) but still interesting.

--Patrick
Yea.. those have built in GPS anyways ;)

Shakey

Shakey

Seeing as how a google street view van will never drive by my house, I get to point and laugh at everyone else.

I don't know if it will be all that useful. Creepy though.

David

David

Meh. 4chan has been figuring out the addresses of people who ruffle their feathers for years.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

This method (hopefully NEVER implemented) would get some REAL hardcore data that marketer would kill for. Actual location and can find out which city love to buy X items more than others, or even ordering pizza? deliveries? postal tracking?
Marketers already know most of this, because the companies (at least the big ones) doing the deliveries and making pizza and selling X already keep track of IP addresses, web habits (via shared cookies), delivery trends, personal preferences. Hell, companies have been doing that, just less efficiently, before there was an Internet to buy stuff on.

People really shouldn't be afraid of marketers; so much of that data is already out there in some form or another, the hard part is sifting through it.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm not worried about marketers... I'm worried about sociopathic internet psychos...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yea.. those have built in GPS anyways ;)
Right, but knowing where they are isn't as useful, since you just get a general idea of where the user is over time, as opposed to a fixed location. You'd have to watch one for some time before you could reliably pin down where the person lives.

Oh, wait.

--Patrick