So that's why there's so many of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...indians i mean: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8328377.stm

An extract found in the bright yellow curry spice turmeric can kill off cancer cells, scientists have shown.
The chemical - curcumin - has long been thought to have healing powers and is already being tested as a treatment for arthritis and even dementia.
Now tests by a team at the Cork Cancer Research Centre show it can destroy gullet cancer cells in the lab.
Cancer experts said the findings in the British Journal of Cancer could help doctors find new treatments.
Dr Sharon McKenna and her team found that curcumin started to kill cancer cells within 24 hours.

'Natural' remedy

The cells also began to digest themselves, after the curcumin triggered lethal cell death signals.
Dr McKenna said: \"Scientists have known for a long time that natural compounds have the potential to treat faulty cells that have become cancerous and we suspected that curcumin might have therapeutic value.\"
Dr Lesley Walker, director of cancer information at Cancer Research UK, said: \"This is interesting research which opens up the possibility that natural chemicals found in turmeric could be developed into new treatments for oesophageal cancer.
\"Rates of oesophageal cancer rates have gone up by more than a half since the 70s and this is thought to be linked to rising rates of obesity, alcohol intake and reflux disease so finding ways to prevent this disease is important too.\"
Each year around 7,800 people are diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in the UK. It is the sixth most common cause of cancer death and accounts for around five percent of all UK cancer deaths.

C

Chazwozel

Good turmeric is amazing in food, but I hate the lingering taste of it on my breath afterward. You can always tell when I've cooked Indian food because my fingers are yellow for the next two days! mmm now I'm in the mood for some Tandoori chicken.

I'm always amazed how much vegetables, spices, herbs, and fruits provide antioxidant and therapeutic qualities. Actually, I'm not amazed more-so than in overwhelmed, I'll have dig up a few reviews, but I'm pretty sure I read that plain ol' cabbage was considered one of the best vegetables out there in terms of maintaining health.

K

Koko

Fun fact: cannabinoids have been shown to inhibit growth of cancer cells!
:smokin:

R

rabbitgod

Yeah, turmeric is badass. I love the stuff. But like Chaz said the aftertaste can put me off.

I've heard about the cannibinoids before. They're found in hops as well. You have to drink dozens of beers to get the effect, but I'll sacrifice myself for science.

I just opened a jar of hot banana peppers I pickled about a month ago with a lot of turmeric in the brine. They're motherfucking divine.

ElJuski

Staff member
or owning a chimpanzee!

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

or a tauntaun

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

or gasoline

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

dutch oven-ing someone

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

burning leaves

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

disinfecting a room with amonia

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

hosing down a room full of poop (it's worth smelling it to get rid of the smell, yes indeedy)

I can't imagine a single one of those situations being something I'd deal with over the smell.

As for "woman parts". If it's a smell you have to "Deal with" I guarantee you it won't be worth it.

ElJuski

Staff member
Okay, how about the stench of being plastered to your computer for days without bathing to play WoW? ;) :p ;) :p ;) :p

How would not taking an hour a day to bathe be beneficial to my WoW playing?

Especially during off hours?

You're not convincing me very well here Juski. :eek:rly:

R

redapples

Ugh.... DAMN! I don't like curry!
I'm pretty sure you'll find many other foods with Turmeric (e100) in them. Its pretty often used as a colouring.

Wiki said:
Turmeric is found everywhere and grows wild in the forests of Malaysia. It has become the key ingredient for many Malay dishes, not only in curry, but also in masak lemak, rendang, and many more.
In non-South Asian recipes, turmeric is sometimes used as an agent to impart a rich, custard-like yellow color. It is used in canned beverages and baked products, dairy products, ice cream, yogurt, yellow cakes, orange juice, biscuits, popcorn color, sweets, cake icings, cereals, sauces, gelatins, etc.[citation needed] ...

...In combination with annatto (E160b), turmeric has been used to color cheeses, yogurt, dry mixes, salad dressings, winter butter and margarine. Turmeric is also used to give a yellow color to some prepared mustards, canned chicken broths and other foods (often as a much cheaper replacement for saffron).
I love the fact that there is a citation needed tag on &c. :p pedantry at its very best.

Curry is actually a British thing, not an Indian. I don't like curry either, but I love Indian food. I think most folks that haven't had real Indian food would probably dig it.

My gf has told me many times about how great turmeric is. Like Chaz said it turns everything yellow: the bowls, pans, hands, etc.

I add to to my taco meat and chili.

Don't think of curry powder as the standard Indian flavor combo.

Try garam masala or a tandoori paste mix. Marinate chicken with yogurt and either garam masala or tandoori, and then bake it or grill it. Delicious!

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

I've never noticed an aftertaste. :confused:

I eat something with turmeric in it at least once a week.

Yeah, curry powder sucks.

Try finding an Indian food store. They should have a ton of different spice combos. Or better yet, go to an Indian buffet restaurant and try all the stuff, and remember the name of the stuff you liked and look up a recipe when you get home.

If you don't like Indian food, it's not the end of the world. It's not for everyone. I don't like all of it. But fresh tandoori chicken from a tandoor oven is bad ass.

Indian is by far the most badass cuisine. Just wish it didn't take all day to cook it right.

In college, a buddy's mom from Bombay came for a visit and cooked us a big meal. It was off the charts compared to most restaurant Indian food.

The most I have time for anymore is tossing a Trader Joe's sauce on some chicken and veggies. Not bad, but not nearly the same as from scratch.

R

redapples

Curry is actually a British thing, not an Indian.[/quote]

Not factually correct. Much of what is served in a 'Curry House' or 'Indian Restaurant' (the later amuses my Pakistani or Bangladeshi friends no end) is traditional recipies. There are some exceptions: A Chiken Tikka Masala is a British (Asian) invention orginating is Glasgow but Chicken Tikka is traditional. Balti and Karahi and westernised dishes named after the dish they are cooked in. But Tarka Dahl is Dahl (lentils) cooked in butter (Tarka) and is an authentic 'Curry'. Many dishes are named after the location they origniate from, Madras for instance. Bhuni, Jalfrazi, Dopiaza are genuine curry dishes, though not necessarily from India.

That's one of the things I miss most about Glasgow. The Indian food there was divine; Chicago is sorely lacking in it. There are a few passable restaurants here, but nothing like I found there.

Some of the best Indian food I have had was in Jamaica. Not all that surprising, as it used to be a British colony.

L

Lally

I think most folks that haven't had real Indian food would probably dig it.
This was definitely the case with me. I had crappy Indian food to start with, but because I was eating with my best friend who LOVES Indian food, I just assumed it was normal and I just didn't like Indian food, and never ate it again after that. Cut to several years later, meeting an Indian boy and having it be a deal-breaker if I didn't like Indian food. Thankfully, I have loved just about everything I've tried so far. :)

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Also, back on the cancer topic, my boyfriend always says that cancer is "a white people thing" and that Indians don't get cancer (although his explanation was not the tumeric, but that Indian people just have heart attacks first).

Curry is actually a British thing, not an Indian.[/quote]

Not factually correct. Much of what is served in a 'Curry House' or 'Indian Restaurant' (the later amuses my Pakistani or Bangladeshi friends no end) is traditional recipies. There are some exceptions: A Chiken Tikka Masala is a British (Asian) invention orginating is Glasgow but Chicken Tikka is traditional. Balti and Karahi and westernised dishes named after the dish they are cooked in. But Tarka Dahl is Dahl (lentils) cooked in butter (Tarka) and is an authentic 'Curry'. Many dishes are named after the location they origniate from, Madras for instance. Bhuni, Jalfrazi, Dopiaza are genuine curry dishes, though not necessarily from India.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that stuff, but most of my Indian friends tell me that the Brits refer to almost all Indian dishes as 'curry'. And, the curry spice mix found at your local megamart is a mix to simulate Indian food, and the interesting mix of spices they use - which is a British thing. I didn't mean the the curries cooked in the subcontinent were British invention. I was just talking about the spice mix.

Interestingly, curry leaves taste awesome, but curry powder taste like garbage. It's not the curry leaves, but the funky spice combo that's the culprit for the reason most folks that don't like Indian food.

The number one reason I hear why most folks don't like Indian food is that they don't like curry/curries. There's tons more than curries.

R

redapples

I don't know about that stuff, but most of my Indian friends tell me that the Brits refer to almost all Indian dishes as 'curry'. And, the curry spice mix found at your local megamart is a mix to simulate Indian food, and the interesting mix of spices they use - which is a British thing. I didn't mean the the curries cooked in the subcontinent were British invention. I was just talking about the spice mix.

Interestingly, curry leaves taste awesome, but curry powder taste like garbage. It's not the curry leaves, but the funky spice combo that's the culprit for the reason most folks that don't like Indian food.

The number one reason I hear why most folks don't like Indian food is that they don't like curry/curries. There's tons more than curries.
Ok, I'll buy that. I tend to mix my own spices rather than rely on premixed spice blends (i.e. curry powder).

I can without any reservation recommend this book.

Status
Not open for further replies.