Export thread

So this is what it's like to browse HF from work

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm at my brand spanking new 10-day job, working as a temporary translator at a newspaper. I have a supervisor to my right, and a cute girl to my left. I'm sitting here reading HF while waiting for articles to come in for me to translate.

It feels... different, some how.

Rob King

Rob King

Heeyyy, awesome. What are you translating from/to?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Chinese to English.

I don't want to say for what, and for which paper, since I've learned a harsh lesson about posting too much online.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Too late. The Ruling Party has already located your activity and has sent men to "re-educate" your family and friends. You will be charged for the bullets.

Rob King

Rob King

It's cool. But yeah, that sounds awesome! I think it'd be really interesting to be a translator.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

It's cool. But yeah, that sounds awesome! I think it'd be really interesting to be a translator.
There are... downsides to it.

Part of my English major here in Finland was that I had to take two courses on translation. One time we had the assignment to translate a passage from Brokeback Mountain.

It was the first gay sex scene...

Kitty Sinatra

sexy!

Better than translating the gay sex scene from David Cronenberg's Crash. Or any sex scene from that movie. Hell, any scene at all from it. That shit totally screwed up my sex life . . . and my driving.

Terrik

Terrik

I think I only browse HF from work =/

Rob King

Rob King

Part of my English major here in Finland was that I had to take two courses on translation. One time we had the assignment to translate a passage from Brokeback Mountain.

It was the first gay sex scene...[/QUOTE]

My Chinese Philosophy professor tells us about when she was getting her masters, they did a lot of translation work from Chinese to English. There was one woman in her class who was very conservative. Sort of the "have sex once or twice for children, in the missionary position, and then never do it again" type.

They had to read a passage in class about a particular king in the Warring States era. This king had a signature trick he would do at parties when they reached an appropriate level of debauchery: He would take a wagon wheel, put the axle-hole over his penis, and spin it.

The conservative woman was given the pleasure of doing the translation for that passage.

bhamv3

bhamv3

So I'm back at work again today, and it's quite hot, so a lot of my female co-workers are dressed rather skimpily, much to my delight. I don't want to stare too overtly though, because I still have another week here.

The guy sitting across from me's wearing a really tight t-shirt, with pectorals sticking out all over the place. I think I'll stare at him instead.

I wonder if it'll be possible to take some discreet pictures.

Rob King

Rob King

Hide a camera in your goggles.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It was the first gay sex scene...[/QUOTE]

I thought male grunting was the universal language.

In sincerity, you must mean the whole scene, with the "get in the tent" stuff, because I don't remember much talking during the actual sex :p.