So you went to prison for 25 years for..... nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/27/national/main7290424.shtml
Originally the guy was charged for rape, but recent DNA test, the guy didn't even have sex with her.

So that raises a few question in my mind.
What would happen to the guy now? he lost 25 years of his life. He is 61 now. Probably can't get a decent job (due to age and lack of field experience)
Does he get compensated for false imprisonment?
Would the "other guy" go to jail now? (assume proven guilty)

C

Chibibar

Wow that really sucks. Has Texas ever heard of magical things called parole or appeals?
I'm sure the guy has gone a few (maybe one of the appeal result in DNA test) but I think most cases like this is more of He said/She said and any witness "confirm" he said/she said. Without reading the actual case, it seems to be a party (i.e. many people there from the article) and someone just peg this slob to be the "rapist" 25 years ago and the other said ok. It would be interesting to find out (this is a TOTAL guess) that the "other guy" could be the rapist protecting himself and witness against the guy.

D

Disconnected

I'm confused.
"testified that she didn't have sex with another man in a group at a party"
it was a group orgy where he watched her get raped then?

Also it seems many old cases are having this result over the last few years. Just feels like I've heard this story before.

C

Chibibar

I'm confused.
"testified that she didn't have sex with another man in a group at a party"
it was a group orgy where he watched her get raped then?

Also it seems many old cases are having this result over the last few years. Just feels like I've heard this story before.
Yea. Since DNA test is more reliable now (and probably much faster and accurate), I'm sure many appeal lawyers are double checking the facts and such.

But I wonder about this poor guy who spend 25 years in jail. Got out at 61. What kind of productive member of society will he be? He has no money (assuming) no job prospect (in this market?)

Dave

Staff member
The worst thing is now that he's been exonerated...they are going to keep him monitored and incarcerated until the state can investigate further.

So he's been proven innocent but the prosecution won't let it go. You know, so they don't look "soft on crime".

He'll get some form of financial settlement and be sent on his way eventually. Could have been worse though.

From what I understand, the reason why he didn't get out earlier was because when he came up for parole or other "early release" programs, he would have had to sign an agreement essentially saying he was a sex offender. Which he maintained (correctly, as it turns out) he wasn't.

Dave

Staff member
And the guys put away are very nearly always black. At least all the ones I've ever seen were.

C

Chibibar

From what I understand, the reason why he didn't get out earlier was because when he came up for parole or other "early release" programs, he would have had to sign an agreement essentially saying he was a sex offender. Which he maintained (correctly, as it turns out) he wasn't.
I am totally guessing here.

The guy doesn't want to register as Sex Offender (not in Texas) and thus, remain behind bars. Once you are in the system, it is very hard to get remove from the system (so I'm told)

J

JCM

Sue the government for lost income and retirement fund money, spend of life travelling and enjoying yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.