Export thread

Spanish-language music?

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

This is on behalf of a friend of mine who recently started taking Spanish and feels his learning of the language would be ameliorated if he had Spanish-language music to rock out, groove, or dance to.

He approached me because about 7 years ago I took Spanish in school and somehow he imagines this translates to a compendium of Spanish music knowledge. I explained he was mistaken, but offered my assistance nonetheless.

His tastes are eclectic, so any genre is welcome: rock, punk, metal, dance, pop, jazz, whatever, but really, for my sake, no jazz because inevitably I will be forced to listen to this music and I'm a classless fool without taste for jazz.

I know our forum has a few Spaniards and Latin Americans and I imagine a few of you just have tastes for music in other languages so... hit me!

Koko

Step 1: Go To San Diego, CA
Step 2: Find a radio
Step 3. Turn the dial

:smug:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Good Spanish Ska punk.

Cog

Cog

No entiendo ni una palabra de esa canción. Pero me gusta la melodía.

KenjiFinster

No entiendo ni una palabra de esa canción. Pero me gusta la melodía.
Well, it basically says "Legalize it!" (Weed). And I don't like that band.

Now, this is Spanish music history (The first music video aired on MTV Latin America. Our own "Video Killed the Radio Star")

Philosopher B.

Shakira's Spanish stuff sounds quite bay-ootiful. :heart:

Vagabond

V.Bond

I'm partial to Los Lobos myself.

Shadazz

The Mars Volta's Frances The Mute. Mainly Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus and L'Via L'Viaquez.

The lyrics are a mix of Spanish and English, but it's amazing music.

Philosopher B.

1 characters mofokka.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I don't listen to music in Spanish, but I've always liked AND hated this song:

I like the style, but the singers... can't actually sing.

That's actually a normal problem with pop spanish singers. It's a little bit like italian singers, wich sing with their nose: spanish ones don't like to hit the right notes, and lots of times they forget they are not Nirvana and start mumbling and fumbling.

Also, if he likes Dragon Ball, he may like to try and understand this... "rap"?

Whatever, I'll try and ask some of my friends who actually like spanish music to tell me what to recommend.

tegid

tegid

I'd say Ska-P is not a bad suggestion, since the lyrics make some sense and shouldn't be too difficult to understand.
I'd also suggest Amaral:

I don't like them very much, but la oreja de van gogh are popular too

I wouldn't recommend their las stuff though. they recently changed the singer and the new one is much worse.

I'll post some more some other time, gotta cook lunch now.

Vrii

Vrii

The Mars Volta (mentioned above, looks like) and Sublime both have some Spanish songs.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Estopa, Jarabe de Palo, La Oreja de Van Gogh are all pretty nice groups that don't sing too fast (skipping 80% of my fav stuff because of that).

Cog

Cog

How about some old ballads?

Or the saddest song ever?

Vagabond

V.Bond

Obligatory? I sure as hell think it is.

tegid

tegid

Yeah Jarabe de Palo may be a good idea.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The Mars Volta's Frances The Mute. Mainly Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus and L'Via L'Viaquez.

The lyrics are a mix of Spanish and English, but it's amazing music.
Yeah, they mix in a lot of Spanish. Also they're just as amazing live as they are on the albums.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

This music not only be featuring the Donnish tongue, it be pirate music as well! YAR!!!

Denbrought

Denbrought

Also, there's a rapper called El Chojin. He speaks at a quite slow pace (no kamikaze style) and his lyrics aren't about rims and women (he's spanish old school), but actual interesting themes, he may enjoy it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Here's a couple.

Personally, I want to visit Costa Rica more, but it's not like I'd turn down the chance.

--Patrick