Export thread

Spiderman's Curtains

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Spider Wranglers Weave One-Of-A-Kind Tapestry

Really cool. I wouldn't have volunteered to catch the creepy bastards every morning to collect the silk, but it would have been interesting to see the whole thing come together from it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

My first thought: I wonder if it's bullet-proof.

RealBigNuke

Man, I bet if you made a robe out of that, it would have awesome +spelldamage

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

That is a damn good question, Fig! Would be interesting to find out!

Krisken

Krisken

That is amazing. Crazy, and amazing.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Aracniffic!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm not the only one who immediately thought of the Futurama episode "300 Big Boys" am I?

WolfOfOdin

I'm now waiting patiently for PETA to raise a stink over this

PatrThom

PatrThom

Nothing I've seen on Digg in the last month has gotten my imagination going as much as this article. I so want to see the exhibition. I wonder if they have a swatch you can touch and feel?

--Patrick

Cajungal

Cajungal

My first thought: I wonder if it's bullet-proof.
Better than my first thought....

"Does it match the carpet?"

Bubble181

Bubble181

I tihnk it's awesome that it's golden-coloured, and not white, as I'd have imagined.
Awesome.

@Li3n

@Li3n

No you fools, that's what pissed her off in the first place... this time she might turn us all into spiders... :aaahhh: (my 1st thought)

Rubicon

From the WTF Department: Beauty and the OH GOD KILL THE BEAST WITH FIRE!

Behind door number 1, extremely rare silk:

Beautiful fabric, probably feels like a soft dream to touch.

Behind door number 2, hard work goes into making it, with great care

Behind door number three

\"\" said:
Peers came up with the idea of weaving spider silk after learning about the French missionary Jacob Paul Camboué, who worked with spiders in Madagascar during the 1880s and 1890s. Camboué built a small, hand-driven machine to extract silk from up to 24 spiders at once, without harming them.

“Simon managed to build a replica of this 24-spider-silking machine that was used at the turn of the century,” said Nicholas Godley, who co-led the project with Peers. As an experiment, the pair collected an initial batch of about 20 spiders. “When we stuck them in the machine and started turning it, lo and behold, this beautiful gold-colored silk started coming out,” Godley said.

The textile weighs 2.6 pounds, and it takes about 14,000 spiders to produce 1oz of thread, which means... Oww, my head hurts.
But of course, some spiders were caught and 'milked' more than once, over the years.

Quote:
Unlike silk worms, which are easy to raise in captivity, spiders have a habit of chomping off each other’s heads when housed together.
To get as much silk as they needed, Godley and Peers began hiring dozens of spider handlers to collect wild arachnids and carefully harness them to the silk-extraction machine. “We had to find people who were willing to work with spiders,” Godley said, “because they bite.”
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/09/spider-silk/

god damn those look freaky... their legs have like joints and shit, kill it, WITH NUCLEAR FIRE FROM ORBIT

figmentPez

figmentPez

Spider-Man's Curtains

fade

fade

Now I know Calleja's gone. He would've corrected the misspelling of Spider-Man in the second post.

Hylian

Hylian

that's is amazing :)

Laurelai

We have these spiders where I live, but we grew up calling them "banana spiders" Their webs are HUGE and very strong. As kids running through the local woods, these things were something you really watched out for. When you hit a web running, you could feel a good deal of resistance when you smacked into one.

.... then came the game of "OMG DO I HAVE A SPIDER ON MY HEAD/BACK/HAIR/CLOTHES/ANYWHERE ON ME ??!!!??!?!!?"

If your friends were nice, they'd tell you the truth lol.

Calleja

Calleja

Spider-Man HYPHEN!!

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

lmao, I hadn't seen Fade's post.. I immediately reacted.

Dammit, Fade, why didn't YOU correct it, then!? :humph:

Hylian

Hylian

Spider-Man HYPHEN!!

I was so tempted to mention that but I bit my tongue.

ThatNickGuy

Soooo...

...I guess in this case, the carpet WOULD match the drapes!