[TV] Stand-up comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a studying comedian I've loved stand-up since fuckin' forever. My favorites are Patton Oswalt, George Carlin, and Bill Hicks. I feel Comedy Central doesn't really care about it as much no more(which would explain Kevin Hart getting a special) but I still love it.

And now for some words from the man himself:

Is there any other man who could say Bull-shit with such emotion? I don't think so.

CK Louis is easily the best stand-up comic since Carlin. Christopher Titus also is way up there. Eddie Izzard is a given as is Margaret Cho.

I also enjoy Patton Oswalt, Daniel Tosh, Bo Burnham, Craig Ferguson's stand-up is amazing which is surprising because I don't like his show, John Pinette, Lewis Black (though not much recently, Jim Gaffigan has some good sets and Jeffery Ross's latest stuff kills.

Cajungal

Staff member
A lot of the obviously great ones have been mentioned here already. I'm also a huge fan of Maria Bamford and Eugene Mirman. Mirman's acts have little lulls here and there, but part of why I like him is his sort of mellow approach to comedy. Mirman's "God is a 12-year-old with Asperger's" bit kills me every time.

Relevant:
Let's see....
John Pinette, Louis CK, Jim Gaffigan, George Carlin, Christopher Titus have already been said...
Dylan Moran

Norm MacDonald

Demetri Martin (Not for everybody. I can definitely see how some might just find him annoying. And I haven't seen any NEW material from him since his DVD came out...)
Jimmy Carr

CK Louis is easily the best stand-up comic since Carlin. Christopher Titus also is way up there. Eddie Izzard is a given as is Margaret Cho.

I also enjoy Patton Oswalt, Daniel Tosh, Bo Burnham, Craig Ferguson's stand-up is amazing which is surprising because I don't like his show, John Pinette, Lewis Black (though not much recently, Jim Gaffigan has some good sets and Jeffery Ross's latest stuff kills.
Love Louie CK and went to high school with Margaret.

Eugene Mirman is definitely one of my favorites as well, pretty much all the Comedians of Comedy. Maria Bamford, Zach Galifanakis...was David Cross with them? I think he was on the special but I don't know. Either way he's hilarious check out this letter where he slams Larry the Cable Guy:

I was also a HUGE Chris Rock fan as a kid and still am today. I hope he makes a new special again, I miss him.

Love it, love it, love it!! I've always been a fan of stand up. When I was 8 for my county fair speech competition I performed a classic Andy Griffith piece called "What it was, was football" from memory. Listened to the classic Cosby albums growing up, & loved the Himself performance which played heavily on HBO back in my teens. Also recall a great Robin Williams special that was before his schtick got old. On one baseball road trip we almost wrecked the van because the coach was laughing so hard listening to a Carlin cassette that I'd brought along.

I LOVED watching the comedy channel when it first came out. They had something called the "Short Attention Span Theater" which was short clips of standup from around the country. Really got to see a good variety there. We have one of the best comedy clubs in the country here in Lexington (Comedy Off Broadway), but unfortunately due to my working 3rd shift on weekends, it really doesn't allow. me to get out & see the big name acts very often (read: never). I did get to see Carlin live when I was in college @ UK.

I have been a Sirius subscriber for 8 years now. 90% of the time I listen to Laugh Break, Raw Dog, or Blue Collar. I have just recently started listening to comedy on my iPhone via Pandora.

As for comedians - I have lots. But very rarely will I hear a bit that makes me laugh SO hard I can't breathe for a good 10 minutes. A few examples:

Patton Oswalt - Black Angus Steakhouse
Lewis Black - If it weren't for my horse...
Robert Schimmel - Colonoscopy (I taste metal!)
Bill Burr - Visiting his GF in Harlem

I know there are others out there I can't think of off the top of my head. There's also other great comics out there. Gabriel Iglesias, John Heffron, Greg Warren, Kathleen Madigan, Daniel Tosh, John Caparulo, Birbiglia, Louis CK. Brian Regan - for a clean comedian he is awesome.

Wish I could scrounge up some decent quality clips of the 4 I mentioned above, but youtube has been scrubbed of the good ones :(

OH! Also
Tim Minchin (Although technically he's not a standup comedian, since he plays the piano)

Phil Jupitus

And of course Mitch Hedberg.

Really? damn, I need to read better

Edit: Dara O'Briain wasn't, but yeah, the other two.

I plead being tired and having something in my eye and listening to music and playing video games and anything else that will make me not look like an inattentive idiot. :oops:

B

BErt

All of the great ones I can think of off the top of my head have already been mentioned - carlin, cross, hedberg (sigh)...love dmetri Martin and mike birbiglia.

One who I had apparently missed the boat on until recently ( and I don't think was mentioned yet) is John Mulaney

Cajungal

Staff member
Ohhh I just started listening to him! He's great! The Salt and Pepper Diner story is great!

Here are some that I like:

B

BErt

Oh, and Dana Gould, who I love but not enough apparently to ever remember him when I make my first pass of comics when this topic comes up...

ElJuski

Staff member
shortlist, being Louis CK, Patton Oswalt and the other Comedians of Comedy, Birbigs, Stella (duh), and of course,
(which got Steve Martin kicked off the Tonight Show for several years)

and of course "Cat Handcuffs", which I can't find anywhere, but whose best is, "And you can't return 'em, cuz there's SLOBBER ALL OVER EM"

Mr. Universe was pretty good. Aziz Ansari's new special (also $5) was AMAZING. I couldn't breathe after the 50 Cent bit.

Also, yeah, Louis CK is the best standup working. His Beacon Theater special (the original $5 drm-free internet thing!!!) is airing on FX in 42 minute form with no "fucks" this weekend. It's really funny. You should watch it and / or buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.