Export thread

Starbucks offering discount for Foursquare "mayors"

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363894,00.asp

And yes, Kurt is already saying he is some kind of prophet for predicting this.

redapples

Yeah he's so cool and forward looking which is why he steals jokes from British politicians. I kid you not.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah he's so cool and forward looking which is why he steals jokes from British politicians. I kid you not.
Meh... I've made that same joke. I don't think that's stealing, I think that's just a really obvious joke to make.

Besides, who the hell would troll british politicians for material?

Dave

Dave

Stephen Colbert made that joke on TV months and months ago.

Not saying Scott stole anything, it's just an obvious joke.

But you have to admit that the fact that it is Starbucks giving the discount was prophetic. I mean, it wasn't Dunkin' Donuts or like that. It was the actual business used in the strip. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the strip didn't have something to do with it. The marketing guys at Starbucks could have read the strip and realized the marketing potential. Geeks like coffee and will "fight" to get the discount. It's really quite brilliant.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Then again, does Starbucks want a bunch of geeks hanging out, using their wifi and not ordering anything.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Then again, does Starbucks want a bunch of geeks hanging out, using their wifi and not ordering anything.
How is that different from what usually happens in a cafe? asked the poor student who nurses a single cup of tea or coffee for 4 hours.....

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

How is that different from what usually happens in a cafe? asked the poor student who nurses a single cup of tea or coffee for 4 hours.....[/QUOTE]

Because you paid for your coffee.

Cajungal

Cajungal

How is that different from what usually happens in a cafe? asked the poor student who nurses a single cup of tea or coffee for 4 hours.....[/QUOTE]

Because you paid for your coffee.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, fair enough. I can't in good conscience hang out at my favorite coffee shop and not buy anything. The owner cares so much about the quality and the atmosphere, you can't help but want to support him as much as you can.

redapples

Meh, not convinced. Starbucks have a very good social media presence so the fact that they have adopted this particular marketing strategy isn't especially surprising. We talk about them as a case study all the time when discussing social media with clients. I suspect that rather than prophesy this say that Kurtz understands their marketing approach. Also coincidence is far more common than we credit.

Still its a pretty weak joke. Am I the only one who found the two weeks of guest strips much funnier that the regular strip.

Covar

Covar

Twat is a swear?

redapples

Twat = Vagina. So really nothing to get all hot a bothered by. I once read that the person who invented swearing was the one who was offended by it. I like that train of thought.