Steampunk Goggles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since it appears that my thread got deleted during the move I am posting this again.

--------------------------------------

I bought some goggles off Amazon and than I took them apart and painted them silver and than I took some watered down black paint and I kinda grimed them up. I am thinking about changing the band to a straight back band but for now here is what I got.

here is the before pics.

and here are the after pics.

-------------------------------------------------

I than added a item to the side to add something a little different. I took a part off of a broken HDD and than I took a little mirror off of a broken tool and painted them silver and grimed them up. Than I attached it to the sides.

Looks awesome. One day, I'll have a steampunk costume of some sort. Until then, I'll have to lust after other peoples'.

You are now on that list.

I have been looking for a different strap but I haven't had much luck in finding one at the local craft stores.

You mean what I made it out of or do you mean what is it supposed to do?

If you want to know whats it made out of. It is amde out of a broken HDD part and a broken mirror off a tool.

If you are wanting to know what it is supposed to do?

Well I am not sure really it just looked right.

Y

YAOMTC

It does look right. Well, almost. I think it could use something on the other side to balance it out. But I haven't seen you actually wear them, so maybe the "imbalance" looks fine in person.

Well I basically take some black latex paint and I dilute it slightly with some water. I than paint it on a section and I than pat it off with a rag.

What exactly IS steampunk? Everywhere I look, I get nothing. Is it just a subculture? Not to bring it down or anything, but a subculture like goth?

I've always been curious. What's it about?

While some people may dress up like it everyday my costume will be for Comic Cons and Halloween. As to what Steampunk is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Steampunk is a sub-genre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of \"the path not taken\" of such technology as dirigibles, analog computers, or digital mechanical computers (such as Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine); these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or with a presumption of functionality.
Steampunk is often associated with cyberpunk and shares a similar fanbase and theme of rebellion, but developed as a separate movement (though both have considerable influence on each other). Apart from time period and level of technological development, the main difference between cyberpunk and steampunk is that steampunk settings usually tend to be less obviously dystopian than cyberpunk, or lack dystopian elements entirely.
Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical \"steampunk\" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.

For me I have always like the Steampunk style but it wasn't until a few years ago I found out there was an actual name for the style. Now I don't go crazy and dress up every day (as I said earlier I am making a costume for Comic Cons and the such) I do this more as a hobby than anything else. It is a fun outlet like playing/collecting games. I like to hunt down parts and make something unique. I am not really great at art but with Steampunk I don't have to be in order to express myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.