Export thread

Stephen Fry Appreciation Thread (used to be rips church new one)

Calleja

Calleja

I love this man, I really do, he's one of the few people on Earth I truly admire. Not only is he hilarious and extremely cultured, he's done everything and accomplished so much having overcome so many things, from being manic depressive/bipolar to struggling with his sexual identity so much that he spent 16 years of complete celibacy.

Now, I feel comfortable posting this without really wanting to offend anyone because he never attacks religion, just the institution that is the holy roman church. And he does it like a true erudite.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbvr0m_the-intelligence%B2-debate-stephen-fr_shortfilms

There's 3 other speakers on the debate, but none of them speak so eloquently and elegantly and.. just watch.

Espy

Espy

Stephen Fry calmly rips the church a new one

I'm gonna watch that after work... I look forward to it, sounds good.

Although to be fair, "ripping" the catholic church a new one is about as hard as doing a doggie paddle in a 3 foot deep pool.

AAAAH! It's Intelligence Squared. I have this on their podcast. Really good stuff.

Deschain

That man is going to hell.

Espy

Espy

That man is going to hell.
It's all booze, coke and hot chicks with metal bands playing down there so.. wooooooooooo1

Calleja

Calleja

To be fair, he was going to hell already anyway because he lay with another man (who he's been with years), his speaking against the nation state that is the Vatican was nothing more than sugar on top of his already eternal damnation.

Iaculus

To be fair, he was going to hell already anyway because he lay with another man (who he's been with years), his speaking against the nation state that is the Vatican was nothing more than sugar on top of his already eternal damnation.
EVIL sugar.

Calleja

Calleja

Yes, morally evil.

Dave

Dave

I listen to these debates on NPR when they are on. I love them.

Espy

Espy

I listen to these debates on NPR when they are on. I love them.
Thats where I first heard them, now I get the NPR podcast of them... great stuff.

Calleja

Calleja

Current moviegoers can also see Mr. Fry as the voice of the Cheshire Cat on Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

Current tv watchers on the US can see him semi-regularly on Bones, while british tv watchers can catch him all the time here and there and regularly on the wonderfully AWESOME QI.

Seriously, watch QI, it will rock your socks off with laughter while also teaching you stuff.

Dave

Dave

QI?

Calleja

Calleja

QI, short for Quite Interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QI

One of the highest rated shows on british television. And for good reason.

Dave

Dave

You guys have a TV channel called Dave?

Just Me

Just Me

*snip Wiki link*

And totally joining in the Stephen Fry love! Ever loved him since I saw him first on Blackadder

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

In all honesty, Stephen Fry's the only man in universe I might consider going gay for. Funny as hell, intelligent, creative, compassionate, hardworking, a true master of the verbal medium...

But that's beside the point. The video was definitely worth watching, and despite the gravity of his words he still managed to deliver them in a way that didn't feel like he was ripping the Catholic Church a new one. Even though that was totally what he was doing...

Calleja

Calleja

Oh come on, if you're gonna post a clip choose a better one, dude! I'd do it myself but I'm at a non-youtube zone right now.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I always thought butterflies were named that because they were originally called "flutter-bys" and the sounds got switched around somewhere along the line.

Dave

Dave

Rob King

Rob King

Great video. Sometimes I feel a bit bad for the shit that the Catholic Church has to deal with, but every so often something like this reminds me that it's hardly unjustified.

General Specific

General Specific

Here's a fun little video that kinda ties in here, you'll see towards the end of it.

Calleja

Calleja

Oh Dave, looking up clips of QI on YouTube is perhaps the most proud you've ever made me, *sniff*

If you're more... tech savvy... you can get entire episodes even if you're not in Britain, wink wink.

The last series, Series G (they dedicate each series (that's a season for brits) to a letter, since they're in season 7, it's series G) has been so fracking awesome, although sadly I think there's only two episodes left to air.

Emma Thompson was on an episode not too long ago, and watching that particular episode you find out Stephen Fry and her are quite close friends. So much so that Emma enjoys making Stephen scream by appearing naked on the top of his stairs, just to mess with his ol' gay self.

There's also recently been QI: XL episodes which last quite longer and include lots of things they edit out for time reasons on the regular broadcasting. These cut parts tend to be the more hilarious since they're off-topic conversations and ribbings between the panelists.

You have no idea how much I love this show.

Calleja

Calleja

Here's a fun little video that kinda ties in here, you'll see towards the end of it.

Oh man, that was awesome, thank you for that.

Yeah, for House and Hugh Laurie fans, another reason to love Fry... they're best friends. Began together, had 2 hit TV comedy shows in their beginnings, "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" and "Jeeves and Wooster". Fry is godfather to Laurie's children and everything.

Rob King

Rob King

I will be checking this out.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

I heartily recommend watching online the recent episode of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson and Stephen Fry.

They went at it old school Tom Snyder style.

No audience, just 2 guys talking about lots of stuff.

It was an EXCELLENT hour of television.

*is an html n00b and not good with the links*

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hehe, I love that people are now looking into QI. I discovered that show a few months ago, from a related video to "Would I Lie To You?" Which I learned about from "8 out of 10 Cats", which I learned about from "Big Fat Quiz of the Year" which I learned about from Jimmy Carr stand up.

If anyone is interested, ENTIRE episodes- nay, SEASONS, of QI can be found at this youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/YouGluben#p/u/7/Gq-7fAvbG0M

Calleja

Calleja

Someone get checkeredhat lots of money and women, stat.

Dave

Dave

Hehe, I love that people are now looking into QI. I discovered that show a few months ago, from a related video to \"Would I Lie To You?\" Which I learned about from \"8 out of 10 Cats\", which I learned about from \"Big Fat Quiz of the Year\" which I learned about from Jimmy Carr stand up.

If anyone is interested, ENTIRE episodes- nay, SEASONS, of QI can be found at this youtube channel:
I love you.

And Tsang:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Calleja

Calleja

Thank god for torrents*, I am 6 minutes away from having a high res version of the Craig Ferguson show tee hee.

*legally and uh.. while helping old ladies cross the street, of course.

Philosopher B.

Craig is the best thing to happen to late night TV.

Also, Stephen Fry is radness incarnate. From being on Blackadder to his 'In America' series, the man is absolute gold.

- Philosopher B., who owns all the seasons of Jeeves and Wooster

Calleja

Calleja

Had to change the name of the thread.

:heart:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Very well said, and for all the criticism, he was respectful and gentle. Enjoyed this very much.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

- Philosopher B., who owns all the seasons of Jeeves and Wooster
You most fortunate male descendant of a woman of questionable morals...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Another great Stephen Fry moment:

Calleja

Calleja

I actually downloaded all of Last Chance to See more for a Douglas Adams fanboy thing, but ended up loving it because of Fry.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So much for watching basketball or playing WoW tonight. Must. Watch. More. QI. Damn you, Calleja! :laugh:

Also, why am I only now finding out this existed?

Calleja

Calleja

YES! More converts! heh

If it's any consolation, I went through the same thing a couple of years ago when I first found the show. I've been known to watch a whole season in just one day. It's like intellectually funny crack to me.

Rob King

Rob King

I know this is about Stephen Fry, but the mention of Craig Ferguson makes me want to ask how a man that funny and smart is so under apprecaited. I get that Conan Obrien is a god, and somehow Jay Leno is popular, and I'm not saying that Ferguson deserves more recognition than Conan, but how is he such an unknown? He's brilliant!

Calleja

Calleja

Hehe, I love that people are now looking into QI. I discovered that show a few months ago, from a related video to \"Would I Lie To You?\" Which I learned about from \"8 out of 10 Cats\", which I learned about from \"Big Fat Quiz of the Year\" which I learned about from Jimmy Carr stand up.

Awww, I thought it was gonna have older eps, but it looks like it's only Series G episodes with a few minis from Series E.... do you know of any way to catch the first few seasons?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hehe, I love that people are now looking into QI. I discovered that show a few months ago, from a related video to \\\\"Would I Lie To You?\\\\" Which I learned about from \\\\"8 out of 10 Cats\\\\", which I learned about from \\\\"Big Fat Quiz of the Year\\\\" which I learned about from Jimmy Carr stand up.

Awww, I thought it was gonna have older eps, but it looks like it's only Series G episodes with a few minis from Series E.... do you know of any way to catch the first few seasons?[/QUOTE]

I know that they are on youtube, because I've watched them. I thought it was that same channel, but I guess I was wrong. I shall go hunting now.

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeyman211#p/c/BE4784EAC998AE59
Series A ep 1-12
Series B ep 1-12
Series C ep 1-12
Series D ep 1-13

Which, I believe, is all of Season A-D

Now, to find E and F (Which, I actually don't think I've been able to find thus far, I'm pretty sure I had to skip all of F, after watching only some of E)

HAHAHAHA I win an internet!
http://www.youtube.com/user/quite1nteresting#p/p

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I know this is about Stephen Fry, but the mention of Craig Ferguson makes me want to ask how a man that funny and smart is so under apprecaited. I get that Conan Obrien is a god, and somehow Jay Leno is popular, and I'm not saying that Ferguson deserves more recognition than Conan, but how is he such an unknown? He's brilliant!
We may have to wait until Letterman moves on before we see Craig Fergusson get the respect he deserves. Then again, the whole Conan fiasco really shifted around the whole Late Night world, I think, so maybe Fergusson wil get some more recognition now?

Calleja

Calleja

Wow dude, you really do deserve all those women and money I mentioned.

Dave, see to it that the man gets what he deserves while I watch QI.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

We may have to wait until Letterman moves on before we see Craig Fergusson get the respect he deserves. Then again, the whole Conan fiasco really shifted around the whole Late Night world, I think, so maybe Fergusson wil get some more recognition now?[/QUOTE]

Craig's said several times, if/when Dave leaves so will he. He likes his Late slot, since he gets to do pretty much what he wants to do with the show, i.e. The Stephen Fry show, his 1000th show where he never appeared onscreen till the end *and even then in makeup* and did everything on his end with his puppets.

Rob King

Rob King

Ok, so next time I get a genie to grant me wishes, I might consider "Let David Letterman keep going forever."

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

We may have to wait until Letterman moves on before we see Craig Fergusson get the respect he deserves. Then again, the whole Conan fiasco really shifted around the whole Late Night world, I think, so maybe Fergusson wil get some more recognition now?[/QUOTE]

Craig's said several times, if/when Dave leaves so will he. He likes his Late slot, since he gets to do pretty much what he wants to do with the show, i.e. The Stephen Fry show, his 1000th show where he never appeared onscreen till the end *and even then in makeup* and did everything on his end with his puppets.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't heard that before. But it definitely does make sense, I mean you can really tell Craig Fergusson LOVES his job.

Rob King

Rob King

... his 1000th show where he never appeared onscreen till the end *and even then in makeup* and did everything on his end with his puppets.
Holy crap. How did I miss this episode?

More importantly: how does he get away with this crap.

However it is, I'm glad.

Calleja

Calleja

How long were Conan and Ferguson in the same timeslot competing... Conan got better ratings, right?

Rob King

Rob King

I think they competed for a good portion of the last five years. As far as I understand it, it was pretty even for a good portion of the time, with Conan pulling off a clear lead here and there.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I was already jealous of Stephen Fry for him being, you know, him. Now i find out he gets Emma Thompson naked on his stairs occasionally?
DAMN YOU STEPHEN FRY. YOU HAVE THE PERFECT LIFE.

General Specific

General Specific

Ok, fuck you all for your QI links. It's nearly 4 am and I have work in the morning! I must stop watching!

one more couldn't hurt....

Calleja

Calleja

Ooh, nice little anecdote on the same episode of QI with Emma Thompson.

They mentioned her Academy Awards almost in a teasing way, and when the one she won for best screenplay for Sense and Sensibility came up, Stephen mentioned as an aside "I should have gotten that Oscar, by the way" and Emma not only agreed but went on to tell the entire story as to why. This is the sort of thing I imagine you can only see in the XL version of episodes, since it's a bit longish and not relevant to the game itself.

Apparently while Thompson was working on the script, she did something that got the file corrupted.. badly. She described it as "it suddenly turned to gobbedly gook, strange characters and symbols". She obviously panicked and tried to get a tech guy to help her but to no avail. So she says she literally grabbed her whole CPU and drove it over to Stephen Fry's, who worked at it for something like 10 hours (it was a lot of hours, don't remember exactly how many, so I chose 10) and got the thing restored. Fry said something like "Being a nerd does have it's advantages, I must say."

How awesome is that? I love stories like that, when you see people that are usually painted in this celebrity aura of awe act so human. And, again, Stephen Fry came out of it being so fracking awesome.

Calleja

Calleja

Well *I* thought it was awesome :humph:

Rob King

Rob King

I thought it was good too. I just ... didn't say anything.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Too much grumpiness, too little Melchett!

...and Wellington!

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

I wish the video series linked above included the speeches made by the two sitting on the Catholic side of the table. It seems to only have Fry, Hitchens and the Q&A. I'd like to see the debate as a whole.

Calleja

Calleja

You can find the entire debate on the interesting squared website. I'd link to it but I'm typing from my cellphone.

Wahad

Wahad

In the new Alice in Wonderland movie (by Tim Burton), Stephen Fry voices the Cheshire Cat.

The movie was ehh, but Fry was (as usual) unadulterated awesome.

Bowielee

Bowielee

All I could think while watching the first 2 clips in the thread was...

"It's the SNIGLETS guy!!!!!"

Philosopher B.

In the new Alice in Wonderland movie (by Tim Burton), Stephen Fry voices the Cheshire Cat.

Stephen Fry should be cloned and voice/narrate everything. His narration was the best part of the Hitchhiker's movie.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Stephen Fry should be cloned and voice/narrate everything. His narration was the best part of the Hitchhiker's movie.[/QUOTE]

He's also the reason I've ever replayed tutorials in a game via Little Big Planet.

General Specific

General Specific

Philosopher B.

Oh my stars, that's awesome. :rofl:

Wahad

Wahad

That's my favorite QI clip right after this one:

Calleja

Calleja

I usually LOVE Alan Davies, but even though I'll be the first guy to make fun of Mexico and Mexicans, his fake "mexican accent" makes my blood boil... I can't quite understand why.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

THEES PEENK POLENTA I LOVE EET!

Bowielee

Bowielee

I personally want to thank this thread for introducing me to QI. I've watched through season C and still going.

Calleja

Calleja

YAY! YOU'RE WELCOME!

General Specific

General Specific

I'm going to resurrect this thread to gloat that I found out my dvd player is region free and so I now own the first season on dvd. :D