[Comics] The Johns resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports coming out of DC comics that Geoff Johns is stepping down as writer of Green Lantern this May. He's been on the title for nine years. An impressive run, but I admit I began losing interest around Blackest Night, when it seemed like he was more interested in writing about the other corps and "never that bad a villain" Sinestro.

His run is no doubt impressive and will definitely be remembered. Whether it'll be remembered fondly in retrospect, only time will tell. I really dug his run at first, but found I lost interest after Sinestro Corps, when the rest of the Rainbow Lanterns started appearing. Some were introduced well (Orange, Red), but most were really shoddy or too quick. Plus, I've never been a big fan of the Rainbow Lanterns in general. Blackest Night made it just plain ridiculous, with Black and White (even if it was inevitable).

Also, I really hated when Blackest Night went from another good GL story to a super-mega-money-grabbing-blockbuster DC crossover. Long-term is going to really hurt them because the trades are a mess. If someone heard about Blackest Night and picked up just the main trade, assuming they'd get the whole story, they'd be lost as hell. Hal disappears a few issues in and then magically returns towards the end with a whole bunch of new characters that haven't been mentioned or introduced previously. Oh, you'd have to read the Green Lantern issues to get that story, which is ridiculous from a book market perspective.

I have to admit, I was a big Johns fan, before blackest night. after that whole clusterfuck, I just kind of lost interest in the book. Its such a shame as well. the whole lead-in to the event felt like some big shift was about to happen... and nothing really did. we got more guardians being fucking idiots, and lead ins to the NEXT big event, and I just went "eeh".
Out of interest, TNG, what did you think of the 'green lantern: secret origin' story that ran before blackest night?

Am I the only one who loved the rainbow corps? I loved Blackest Night and Brightest Day.
You're also a big GL fanboy in the same way I'm a Superman fanboy. So you're biased. :p

I miss the days of Kyle Rayner, when having the most powerful weapon in the universe actually meant something.

You're also a big GL fanboy in the same way I'm a Superman fanboy. So you're biased. :p

I miss the days of Kyle Rayner, when having the most powerful weapon in the universe actually meant something.
Actually, I barely read GL until Emerald Twilight and a small Rayner's turn as lantern. I was more familiar with GL from Justice League than anything else. I did read the GL/GA roadtrip series forever ago. It wasn't until Johns' run that I really read it seriously.

Ah, so you're specifically a Johns GL fanboy. :p

I think what killed my interest in the Rainbow Corps was when all the inevitable merchandise started coming out. There were t-shirts for every symbol, a ring for each corps, even magnets with each of the corps' oaths (even Orange). It was a brilliant marketing strategy, don't get me wrong, but it made me feel like the whole thing was about commercializing the fuck out of rings of a different colour.

Also, my beef with Johns is that, while yeah, the stories are exciting, Hal is just as dull as he ever was before. He's not a deep character and Johns hasn't changed that. His stories these days are all flash and no substance, which is surprising when I worshipped Johns for his run on Flash. He also can't do subtlety to save his life, though that's a common trait in most superhero comics, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.