PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm going with...leprosy?

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I'm going with...leprosy?

--Patrick
Nope. That's pretty much a normal Wood Stork.

evilmike

evilmike

Quick picture from this morning
shuttle on 747-1.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Did anyone else reach for a pokeball?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Nice shot of history there Mike.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Nope. That's pretty much a normal Wood Stork.
I was trying to guess at a theme for all the pictures posted up to that point.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

From this morning.
RBSP Launch.jpg

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Nice pics man. I love the wood-stork especially, like he's lookin straight into my soul.

evilmike

evilmike

Still experimenting with long exposures, sailboats, and rockets:
falcon 9 launch 10-07-12.jpg

Dave

Dave

Where do you live that you got to see a rocket taking off this morning? Or was that an older picture?

evilmike

evilmike

Where do you live that you got to see a rocket taking off this morning? Or was that an older picture?
It's last night's SpaceX launch of a resupply flight to the space station.

The picture is from about 30 miles south of the launch pad (which gives you some idea where I am). I would have tried for a closer vantage point, but the weather only had a favorable probability of 60%. Those sort of probabilities usually end up as "launch scrubbed followed by rain on the way home."

Dave

Dave

I was unaware they were still doing this in the US. I know deep down that we still have a space program (the Mars mission is a good example) but it just...feels dead.

evilmike

evilmike

I was unaware they were still doing this in the US. I know deep down that we still have a space program (the Mars mission is a good example) but it just...feels dead.
Unfortunately, the level of activity is not what it once was, but there is still some. This October is unusually active: a global positioning satellite, a ISS supply mission test, and a military launch at the end of the month.

evilmike

evilmike

viera20121104_moorhen1.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

cardinal in the indiana snow1.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That thing is totally staring down a pig.

Terrik

Terrik

Out of curiosity, what kind of equipment are you using?

evilmike

evilmike

Out of curiosity, what kind of equipment are you using?
Right now I'm using an old Fuji "bridge" model camera, the s100fs.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I don't like Cardinal very much.

For obvious reasons.

Terrik

Terrik

Right now I'm using an old Fuji "bridge" model camera, the s100fs.
Using the standard lens, or do you have others?

evilmike

evilmike

Using the standard lens, or do you have others?
It's actually an all-in-one camera -- there isn't a way to change lenses.

evilmike

evilmike

robot.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

lizard in repose 2013-07-20.jpg

hawk in the tall grass.jpg

Bowielee

Bowielee

What kind of camera do you use?

evilmike

evilmike

What kind of camera do you use?
The last two pictures are on a Canon 60D with a 70mm-300mm lens. (I'm still trying to work up the learning curve on that camera.)

The earlier pictures were done with an old Fuji s100fs. It's a pretty good bridge camera, but it does have a number of quirks.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Forever anole?
Forever aloe?
Dammit, I know I'm close...

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Forever anole?
Forever aloe?

--Patrick
How about an anole alone on the aloe? :)

Bowielee

Bowielee

Forever anole?
Forever aloe?

--Patrick
archer.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

blue bird on tire sculpture.jpg

wasp on flower.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

glossy ibis at viera.jpg

turtle on the Eau Gallie river sm.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

starlings in flight.jpg

Attachments

Terrik

Terrik

I desperately want a higher end Camera. My cannon 550D isnt BAD...it...it just can't do some things that I want it to.

evilmike

evilmike

I desperately want a higher end Camera. My cannon 550D isnt BAD...it...it just can't do some things that I want it to.
What sort of things would you like to do?

evilmike

evilmike

dragonfly on porch 2013-10-13.jpg

Bowielee

Bowielee

Would you mind if I used some of these for wallpaper on my computer and/or iPad?

evilmike

evilmike

Would you mind if I used some of these for wallpaper on my computer and/or iPad?
That would be great -- please do.

evilmike

evilmike

butterfly and bee.jpg

Krisken

Krisken

Fantastic pictures, Mike!

evilmike

evilmike

I find that black vultures are often a source of mystery. It isn't that they are particularly cryptic in and of themselves. It's their coloration. Since they have black feathers, a bald black head, black eyes, and a dark beak; they are effectively all silhouette. And since they often tuck their head in or hold it at odd angles, they are often fairly indistinct silhouettes at that. Often, I will spot a bird perched in a tree or on a pole with the sun at its back and start thinking of all of the possible birds that it could be, only have it turn out to be this living silhouette, the black vulture.
Sunday, as I was riding in the middle of nowhere, I spotted a large bird perched on a power pole. The sun was at its back, so all I could make out was its shape. My first thought was, "this has to be a black vulture, of course."
As I got closer, I started to have doubts. "The head just isn't right for a black vulture. Could it be a turkey vulture?"
I get closer. "Hmm. The head shape doesn't really work for either vulture. The beak looks too thick for a hawk. Crested caracara?"
I start to get a bit hopeful. Crested caracaras have been reported in the area, but I haven't seen any on this trip. They are striking birds and it would be a great opportunity, but there's a problem. "The head would work for a caracara, but that bird is huge. What could it be?"
I finally start to get parallel with the bird. The pole that it is on is now 10 yards away from me. The light has shifted enough so that I'm not just looking at a dark shape. I can now clearly make out the bright yellow beak and the pure white feathers on its head. I couldn't help but think, "Aha. American bald eagle. I guess that will have to do."
Fortunately, the bird did not hold the slow identification against me. It stayed on the pole and let me take as many pictures as I wanted. (Such as the 2 below)

eagle on pole 2014-01-12-2.jpg

eagle on pole 2014-01-12.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

I had originally planned to follow up my bald eagle post with one that included pictures of black vultures. I wanted to demonstrate that I don't dislike vultures, in spite of how their silhouettes may occasionally mislead me. It's just that they are difficult to get good pictures of because of their coloration, and they are such a common sight in this area that I often don't think of trying to take pictures of them. My plan changed because of a couple of sightings that I had while I was out running errands last weekend. I happened to take notice of another ubiquitous bird -- the osprey.

There really isn't any reason I should fail to notice the osprey. They have distinctive markings. They catch fish and carry them off in their claws (thus the nickname "Fish Taxi"). They don't shy away from human areas. They make huge nests. They even hover -- about as close to posing for the camera as a bird can. It's just that I see them every day and they faded from my potential subject list. So, here are two birds that I happened to notice:

osprey with fish.jpg

osprey in tree.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

I realized that I have been remiss in keeping this up-to-date. (After all, @Squidleybits can't have all the fun posting pictures!)
For the past few days, a different kind of bird has dominated my photography -- the Thunderbird. The Air Force's Thunderbird flight team performed yesterday and today for an airshow at the local airport. They also practiced for a couple of days prior to that. Even though the F-16 is a remarkably agile jet, it's still a jet (and I assume not being pushed to its operational limit during the shows), so a performance at an airport is really a performance for the entire area around the airport. I have seen multiple flyovers at work and at home, both miles from the airport in different directions. Today, I split the difference -- I went to a park halfway between work and home. It was a great vantage point, and I think I got some good pictures. The "inverted" picture really illustrates how good of a vantage point I had -- the original picture has enough detail to show that the plane is Thunderbird #6, assigned to Major Jason Curtis.​
thunderbird02 2014-10-05.jpg
thunderbird01 2014-10-05.jpg
I also found time to bother one of the local birds (in this case an anhinga):​
anhinaga01 2014-10-05.jpg

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Those are awesome! What lens are you using for these?[DOUBLEPOST=1412563604,1412563405][/DOUBLEPOST]You have some really fantastic photos here, I went back and enjoyed your whole thread :)

evilmike

evilmike

Those are awesome! What lens are you using for these?
Most of my telephoto work is with a 70-300mm lens on a 60D. I normally leave the camera in shutter priority 1/400" with the ISO limited to 800 max. I usually leave the auto-focus on the center mark. Though, today I was manually pulling the focus because I was worried the autofocus wouldn't keep up.

You have some really fantastic photos here, I went back and enjoyed your whole thread :)
Thank you kindly. :)

evilmike

evilmike

Working through my picture backlog...

Here is another sequence from the airshow:
thunderbird group of 5 -- 01.jpg
thunderbird group of 5 -- 02.jpg
thunderbird group of 5 -- 03.jpg
thunderbird group of 5 -- 04.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

I'm hoping to finish the airshow pictures as they Thunderbirds do -- with a big finale:
thunderbird solo 02 2014-10-04.jpg

thunderbird solo 2014-10-04.jpg

thunderbirds group of four 03.jpg

thunderbirds group of six 01 2014-10-05.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

These are a series of related pictures that I took during my trip to Raleigh in August. The first three pictures are from a small park called "The Rose Garden". As would be expected, everyone goes there to take pictures of the flowers. Being something of a contrarian, I went there and took pictures of bugs.

bugs of raleigh 01 2014-08-09.jpg

bugs of raleigh 02 2014-08-09.jpg

bugs of raleigh 03 2014-08-09.jpg

bugs of raleigh 04 2014-08-09.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Happy Pi Day everyone!
rings at raleigh.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

While waiting for the next group of airplanes to pass by thanks to the recent airshow, I decided to practice my aerial focus technique on a slower, though no less challenging, target:
white ibis in flight.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

More pictures from the recent airshow:
hawk flyover.jpg

t-6 squad 1.jpg

t-6 squad2.jpg

t-6 squad3.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Another airshow picture:
blue angles four3.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Experimenting with the "magic hour", when the sun is approaching the horizon and the sunlight softens and takes on a golden hue:
golden sailboat 1.jpg

golden sailboat2.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

I was experimenting with taking a picture of the full moon (and overexposing it in the process) when I caught a flash of lightning:
moon and lightning.jpg

Experimenting with a "vanishing point picture" for a recent shooting challenge:
MikeCaseVanishWallpaper.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Between the lines...
alligator in the ripples.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

griebe with reflection.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

I didn't have any luck with today's launch. I did have some luck with the terns flying around the pier that I was on while waiting out the launch:
tern at the eau gallie pier.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

myrtle beach gull1 2015-11-27.jpg
myrtle beach gull2 2015-11-27.jpg
myrtle beach gull3 2015-11-27.jpg

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

What fantastic photo's Mike (Nobody who likes birds can be Evil!). I'm envious of your Camera, it beats my cheap and cheerful one. Birds and Aircraft, my favourite subjects but I have never taken any this good.

evilmike

evilmike

Yesterday, I had the good fortune to find a herd of manatee (and pictures will be forthcoming). While I was taking pictures of the sea cows, a green heron decided to walk right below me on the embankment where I was taking pictures. I have to wonder if it was a little jealous that I wasn't taking pictures of birds and decided to show off to get my attention.
green heron.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

One of the few times I am disappointed that an answer turned out to be entirely logical:

I looked up the collective noun used for manatee, hoping for something spectacular and unusual like a wake of vultures, a murmuration of starlings, or a murder of crows. Imagine my disappointment to find out that what applies to cows also applies to sea cows -- a group of manatee is simply called a "herd".
manatee 2016-01-21-1.jpg
manatee 2016-01-21-2.jpg
manatee 2016-01-21-3.jpg
manatee 2016-01-21-4.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

pelican 2016-02-02-02.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

I recently learned about an unusual air plant. It's a type of tree, that has been introduced to Florida and looks similar to a rubber tree, called the Schefflera. It also has a number of interesting colloquial names such as the Umbrella Tree or the Octopus Tree. (Thank you, Google.) The fact that it can exist as an epiphyte - a plant that grows on another plant without harming it, or directly drawing subsistence from it, is quite surprising. The Schefflera that I routinely see in this area grow from the ground and can end up 30 feet tall or more. The reason I know the tree can exist in as an air-plant was because I found an example of it. The picture isn't that spectacular, but the plant itself certainly is. It's a ~18 foot tall tree growing out of the trunk of a ~35 foot tree. (The host tree isn't dead -- it's a northern species that doesn't understand Florida so it sheds its leaves for the winter.)

Schefflera as epiphyte.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

wood stork at the park.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A bird showing off its golden slippers -- the snowy egret
snowy egret minwr 2016-02-28-1.jpg

Also, a bird showing off its ... three colors (?) The tricolor heron
tricolor heron at minwr 2016-02-28-01.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I really need to start shooting the birds in my back yard. Just about every migratory bird makes a stop in my neighborhood.

evilmike

evilmike

One of the main feeding strategies of the reddish egret is to cause as much as chaos as possible and then attack whatever prey is left dazed and confused in its wake. Here is a glimpse of an egret mid-ruckus.

reddish egret minwr 2016-02-16-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

I wonder if the heron is imagining itself as the captain of the doomed vessel.
great blue heron down with the ship.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wonder if he has a tiny human tied around his neck?

I know, wrong bird.

evilmike

evilmike

I know, wrong bird.
That's ok. It encouraged me to look over the rare bird alerts for the area. :)

evilmike

evilmike

Sea Oats at Dusk
sea oats at dusk.jpg

Terrik

Terrik

Ah. Oats. Usually associated with sand spurs with me.

Dave

Dave

Yeah, I see oats. What about them?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

They're wild.

PatrThom

PatrThom

They're wild.
That's the feeling.
And they're spreading.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Beachcomber
crab 2016-06-28-01.jpg

Bubble181

Bubble181

*frantically throws Pokeballs*

evilmike

evilmike

*frantically throws Pokeballs*
So far, no one has been able to make that work. :)

Rise
launch 2016-07-28-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Tranquility
tranquility beach.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Birds on a wire
three parakeets on a wire 2018-10-18-01.jpg

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

None of those look like Goldie Hawn! I am disappointed.

PatrThom

PatrThom

None of those look like Goldie Hawn! I am disappointed.
Wow.
I've actually seen that movie.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"So we're agreed, we strike at dawn."

What I feel is going in their heads.

evilmike

evilmike

I wasn't able to get a picture of the GOES-R launch last night, but I did manage to get out today and get a few bird pictures. The first of which:

Great Blue Heron
great blue heron on post 2016-11-20-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Last night's Atlas launch
atlas launch 2017-01-20.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

An eagle and osprey, mid-disagreement:
eagle and osprey.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Over the Moon
thunderbird over the moon.jpg

Technically it's 'In the same general direction as the moon' but that's not as catchy.

evilmike

evilmike

Breakaway
thunderbird breakaway 2017-04-01-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

osprey on light pole close up 2017-06-25-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Mourning Dove
mourning dove 2017-06-27-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

rose 2017-08-27-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Rose garden, take 2
rose 2017-08-27-02.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

You been getting into @Squidleybits' stash?

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

You been getting into @Squidleybits' stash?

--Patrick
She doesn't mind as long as I stay away from IR stuff and long exposure night sky pictures. :)

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Start driving! Group night photo shoot :)

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

She doesn't mind as long as I stay away from IR stuff and long exposure night sky pictures. :)
The more the merrier :)

I'm loving the pink flowers! Keep them coming!

evilmike

evilmike

rose 2017-08-27-03.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

hawk and snake 2017-09-19-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Years ago, there was an advertising campaign promoting Florida tourism that proclaimed "the rules are different here!" I can't remember exactly which rules it suggested were different, though if I were to hazard a guess, I would think those rules involved how often you could go to the beach, ride on a roller coaster, or find a party. Today's picture is inspired by a rule the advertising campaign no doubt omitted -- "if you want to mow the yard, you must first move the frog."

frog on lawn mower.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

sylvan flamingo 2017-11-24-01.jpg
sylvan flamingo 2017-11-24-02.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Another bird from the bird park:
sylvan scarlet ibis 2017-11-24-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Working through my backlog of pictures -- some pictures from a Chinese lantern festival:

chinese lanterns 2017-11-26-01.jpg
chinese lanterns 2017-11-26-02.jpg
chinese lanterns 2017-11-26-03.jpg
chinese lanterns 2017-11-26-04.jpg
chinese lanterns 2017-11-26-05.jpg
chinese lanterns 2017-11-26-06.jpg
chinese lanterns 2017-11-26-07.jpg
chinese lanterns 2017-11-26-08.jpg
chinese lanterns 2017-11-26-09.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Cedar waxwings catching a moment's rest
waxwing 2018-02-09-01.jpg

Also, I recently posted some pictures over in the NASA/Space thread.

evilmike

evilmike

Local livestock?
eau gallie livestock.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

great blue heron 2018-05-26-01.jpg
great blue heron 2018-05-26-02.jpg
great blue heron 2018-05-26-03.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

osprey on post 2018-06-06.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What a majestic derp.

evilmike

evilmike

What a majestic derp.
That's the irony that is the osprey.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's the irony that is the osprey.
Not just the bird, either.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Not just the bird, either.

--Patrick
True, true.

Unfortunately, I don't get that much of an opportunity to take pictures of that type.

evilmike

evilmike

sailboat at dusk.jpg

flower on the dunes 2018-07-19.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

lily among the pads.jpg

anhinga drying wings 2018-10-12.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

tri color heron.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Red Shouldered Hawk

red shouldered hawk 2018-10-20-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

More clearly showing of the red shoulder of the red shouldered hawk:
red shouldered hawk 2018-10-20-03.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Not everyone was as pleased to see the hawk in the neighborhood as I was. This mockingbird spent several minutes buzzing the hawk, trying to convince it to move on.
hawk and mocking bird.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

...and that is why the Mockingbird is the State Bird of 5 states.

evilmike

evilmike

...and that is why the Mockingbird is the State Bird of 5 states.
It buzzes the legislature until it gets the nomination?

evilmike

evilmike

Nighttime at the River
sailboats at night 2018-12-01.jpg

causeway at night 2018-11-12-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

An Impression of Fall
impression of fall.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Working through my backlog of pictures. First up, four birds from the Sylvan Heights Bird Park:
masked lapwing 2018-11-29-01.jpg
tinamou 2019-11-29-01.jpg
flamingo 2019-1129-01.jpg
Demoiselle Crane 2018-11-29-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

The moods of a red shouldered hawk:

Serious:
red shouldered hawk 2019-02-06-01.jpg

Relaxed (or possibly "floofy):
red shouldered hawk 2019-02-06-02.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

From last year's Chinese Lantern Festival:
chinese lanterns 2018-11-29-01.jpg

chinese lanterns 2018-11-29-02.jpg

chinese lanterns 2018-11-29-03.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A new family
sandhill cranes 2019-04-28-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

snowy egret in the waves 2019-05-18-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Sailboats, taken during this morning's launch delay
sailboats 2019-08-08-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

There appears to be an unusual symbiosis between anhingas and alligators. Alligators move into retention ponds, encouraging humans to put up warning signs, thereby giving the anhinga places to perch.

anhinga on sign 2019-09-26-01.jpg

anhinga on sign 2019-09-26-02.jpg

However, the birds have not entirely given up on more natural perches:
anhinga on stump 2019-09-26-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Little Blue Heron
little blue heron 2019-09-26-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

flight 2019-10-19-01.jpg
Flight

evilmike

evilmike

The Bird with the Golden Slippers
snowy egret 2019-11-14-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

whirligig 2019-11-29-01.jpg

whirligig 2019-11-29-02.jpg

whirligig 2019-11-29-03.jpg

whirligig 2019-11-29-04.jpg

whirligig 2019-11-29-05.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Chinese merganser, a smew, and a mandarin duck, courtesy of the Sylvan Heights Bird Park
chinese merganser.jpg

smew 2019-12-28.jpg

mandrin duck 2019-12-28-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Another picture from my backlog of Sylvan Bird Park pictures, a trumpeter swan:
trumpeter swan 2019-12-28-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Another picture from my backlog of Sylvan Heights pictures. This time, it is one of their "poster bird species", the american flamingo.

flamingo.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

An opsrey at dusk
osprey at sunset.jpg

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

That Osprey is like “I can see you watching me. I am not amused, creeper.”

PatrThom

PatrThom

I thought it was saying, "Fish? Got any fish?"

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

osprey 2020-03-25-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

white egret 2020-04-02.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

hawk 2020-04-09-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A small itch
pelican itch.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Scrub Jay
scrub jay 2020-04-22.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Swimming in the Clouds
swimming in the clouds.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Gopher Tortoise
gopher tortoise 2020-05-20.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

One of those lives in my back yard. It's lived here longer than I have

evilmike

evilmike

Flowers Against the Sky
red flowers 2020-05-17.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Hawk at Dusk
hawk at dusk 2020-06-27-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Black Skimmer and Puddle
black skimmer and puddle 2020-07-09-02.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's like he's standing on a big LP.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

There was definitely something important about that puddle. A couple of times, a car drove through that section of the parking lot and the bird would fly, only to circle around and return when the coast was clear.

evilmike

evilmike

Sunday Morning
sunday morning 2020-07-12-01.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'd like to challenge our resident space nerd to photograph the comet. I'll try to stay up a little tonight and view it. It should be visible to the naked eye. But, my damned neighbors have security lights! in the country!

If I knew this comet was coming, I would have purchased an adapter for my old telescope.

evilmike

evilmike

I will try. I had been trying to catch it in the morning, but the clouds have been an issue. That's why I ended up with a sunrise picture as a consolation prize.

I imagine end of this week is going to be optimal for viewing.

evilmike

evilmike

Almost a tri-colored heron

Sometimes, birds have their own ideas as to when they are done posing
tricolor flushed.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Sometimes, finding a bird is simply a matter of looking "up" as is the case with this white ibis on a streetlight.
white ibis on lamp 2020-10-18-01.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

The fact that you live in a region with a wide variety of different bird-friendly habitats may have something to do with it, too.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

The fact that you live in a region with a wide variety of different bird-friendly habitats may have something to do with it, too.

--Patrick
True. Though, I think it also has to do with what birds are common here. White ibis is ubiquitous here. I've probably seen 40 of them this morning and I (mostly) wasn't looking for them. On the other hand, species that are common in other parts of the US, are rarities here. I never see blue birds or goldfinches for example. Heck, the American crow is considered enough of a novelty to make the rare bird alerts.

PatrThom

PatrThom

True. Though, I think it also has to do with what birds are common here. White ibis is ubiquitous here. I've probably seen 40 of them this morning and I (mostly) wasn't looking for them. On the other hand, species that are common in other parts of the US, are rarities here. I never see blue birds or goldfinches for example. Heck, the American crow is considered enough of a novelty to make the rare bird alerts.
Heh. I think I saw that on reddit just a couple days ago, in fact.

1603041705601.jpeg

—Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

cardinal in the snow.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

Shoulda taken that opportunity to join everyone else down in Glendale, but noooo, I had to be the dummy who chose to stay up north. Grrr.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'd swear I've see that exact same picture gracing a greeting card/candle/whatever.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I'd swear I've see that exact same picture gracing a greeting card/candle/whatever.

--Patrick
I think cardinals and snow are a classic picture combo, especially if you can throw in a few berries.

You'll notice that my example "See? I can take pictures of cardinals too!" picture was obviously not taken anywhere near here.

evilmike

evilmike

Mine!

I'm not sure what they were fighting over, but the caracara won the prize.
caracara and vulture 2020-11-27-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Two hawks scanning the sky
two hawks 2020-11-27-01.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

Two hawks trying their best not to look at each other, more like.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Two hawks trying their best not to look at each other, more like.

--Patrick
It could be worse...
two hawks that are not speaking.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Little blue heron
little blue hero from bridge.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

eagle in flight 2020-11-13-01.jpg

little blue heron at viera 2020-11-13-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Todays contribution to working off the backlog -- a snowy egret
snowy egret at viera 2020-11-13-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

I had aspirations of a much longer ride and many more birds (and a rocket launch!) today, but the light rain that moved through the area had other ideas. Still, before I had to turn back, I was lucky to find a pair of red shouldered hawks and a limpkin.
red shouldered hawk 2021-01-23-01.jpg

red shouldered hawk 2021-01-23-02.jpg

limpkin 2021-01-23-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Congregation of Ibises
ibises flock 2021-01-11.jpg

Another congregation
ibises on rooftop 2020-11-13-01.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

University of Miami school reunion, I see.

evilmike

evilmike

University of Miami school reunion, I see.
TIL that their mascot was an Ibis and not a pelican.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Last bird out of a Hurricane.

evilmike

evilmike

Last bird out of a Hurricane.
I read some of that after I read your post -- that's really cool. I'll have to pay attention next time (which hopefully won't be for good while!)

evilmike

evilmike

Not the Regular Osprey

It's not unusual to see an osprey perched on a dead palm tree across the street. This morning however, as I was heading out, I glanced over and realized that it wasn't the usual bird. Now,I don't have any special skill to tell one osprey from another. On the other hand, I am quite able to tell the difference between an osprey and a bald eagle.

eagle 2021-02-06-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Still Not the Regular Osprey

Taken a few days after the first -- now with better light:
eagle 2021-02-11-02.jpg

Ultimately, the eagle moved on, and an opportunistic starling claimed the perch:
an opportunistic starling.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Brown Pelicans
2 pelicans 2021-02-21.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

This loggerhead shrike is trying to look innocent...
loggerhead shrike 2021-03-12-01.jpg

even though I had just caught it trying to mess with my bike.
loggerhead shrike 2021-03-12-02.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Meadowlark
meadowlark 2021-03-12-01.jpg

Anhinga
anhinga 2021-03-12-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Red winged blackbird

redwing blackbird 2021-03-26-01.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

I can hear this picture.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I can hear this picture.

--Patrick
Thank you. :)

One thing that I find fun about meadowlarks is that the sound to me like red winged blackbirds that are singing the notes out of order.

evilmike

evilmike

Spoonbill in Flight
spoonbill in flight 2021-03-26-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Florida Scrub Jays
scrub jay 2021-04-05-01.jpg

scrub jay 2021-04-05-02.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oh, is that what the team from Toronto is calling themselves now. ;)

evilmike

evilmike

Woodpecker at Home
red bellied woodpecker 2021-04-23-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Watchful Eye
red bellied woodpecker 2021-04-23-02.jpg

Today, I went looking for birds, and found this gopher tortoise instead. (I did hear a number of birds, but, for the most part, they were content to stay hidden in the trees.)
gopher tortoise 2021-05-09-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A busy day

I spent part of the afternoon taking pictures of the jets performing at a nearby airshow, then went off to get a picture of the day's SpaceX launch, and somehow still managed to get a bird picture too.
starlink l26.jpg

great blue heron on pier 2021-05-15.jpg

blue angels 2021-05-15-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Today, in between pictures of jet aircraft, I was able to catch another type of flyover
white ibis flyover 2021-05-16.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

blue angels 2021-05-16-01.jpg

blue angels 2021-05-15-02.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

"In The Heights" advertising is getting out of hand.

evilmike

evilmike

Scrub Jay on Branch
scrub jay 2021-05-04-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Yesterday was a pretty good day out:
swallow tail kite 2021-06-19-01.jpg

anhinga 2021-06-18-01.jpg

VAB 2021-06-18.jpg

ride 2021-06-18.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Today, I stopped by a beach access and walked over to "Peacock Beach" to see the launch. I didn't have any luck with the rocket, as the launch was scrubbed due to an errant airplane. Fortunately, I did have some luck finding a few of the beach's namesakes. They weren't actually on the beach, but nearby. In the space of 15 minutes, I was able to find 3 and heard several others.

Here is 1 of them resting in the shade:
peacock near the beack 2021-06-29-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

I spotted a few birds while I was on my trip to see the rocket and barge, including this spoonbill.
spoonbill at jety park.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

water lily 2021-09-26-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Hiding in the leaves
pileated woodpecker 2021-09-28.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hard to see, maybe, but I bet you could HEAR her juuuust fine.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

A Long-tailed Skipper
butterfly and flower 2021-10-24.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Loggerhead shrike
loggerhead shrike at viera 2021-10-29-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

silhouette against the sky.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

An Egret at the Waterline
great egret 2021-11-15.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A bird to be thankful for -- in this case a cooperative red shouldered hawk
red shouldered hawk at three forks 2021-10-25-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

An Osprey in the Morning Light
osprey in the morning light 2021-12-03-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

I was only a couple of miles into the day's ride when I started thinking "even though there are suburban neighborhoods on both sides of the road, I usually have pretty good luck right here" and there, as if on cue, was a red shouldered hawk, ready for its closeup.

a reliable hawk.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Emergence
emergence2.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

gopher tortoise 2021-01-06 .jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Hey a Florida gopher turtle. One of these lives on my property, I call him Fred

evilmike

evilmike

great blue heron 2022-01-20.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Tricolored Heron
tricolored heron 2022-02-05-01.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Cool, I just drove by one in East Texas. I was happy, he normally flies away when I drive by.

evilmike

evilmike

Annual Visitors
cedar waxwings 2022-03-26-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

More Visitors

In this case, white pelicans:
white pelicans 2022-03-26-01.jpg

white pelicans 2022-03-26-02.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Enjoying the Sunshine
baby alligator in the sun 2022-03-27.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Finally got a couple of pictures of one of the burrowing owls that live out at the local airport.
burrowing owl 2202-04-03-01.png
burrowing owl 2202-04-03-02.png

evilmike

evilmike

Red-bellied woodpecker
red bellied woodpecker 2022-04-08-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

"Fuzzy"
sandhill crane 2022-04-10-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A little something for the nest
short tailed hawk 2022-05-09-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Balancing Act
red wing blackbird balancing.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

:notes:Blackbird singing in the dead of niiiight...:notes:
HALP SOMEONE GET ME DOWN FROM HERE HAAAALLLLLP

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

A Small Disagreement
hawk and mockingbird 2022-05-24-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Little Blue Heron in the Sun
little blue heron 2022-05-17-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Got a little too close to my subject today...
scrub jay on hat 2022-05-30-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Quiet Moment
squirrel 2022-05-17-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Scrub Jay on a more traditional perch
scrub jay 2022-06-19-01.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

Scrub Jays - aren’t their native habitat Buffalo?

;) at @blotsfan

evilmike

evilmike

I saw a report yesterday that the short tailed hawks at Turkey Creek haven't started migrating yet and decided to see if I could track them down. They were wonderfully easy to find. I hadn't actually reached the sanctuary before I spotted two of them flying and calling. I was able to follow the calls and found one of them perched in a sand pine. I believe this is the chick that fledged earlier this year.

short tailed hawk 2022-07-24-01.png

evilmike

evilmike

Bonus picture from after the launch this morning

morning sailboats 2022-08-04.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Limpkin by the Water
limpkin 2022-06-19-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Balancing Act
eagle 2022-09-23-01.JPG

evilmike

evilmike

Egyptian Geese
egyptian geese 2022-09-27-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Pileated Woodpecker
pileated woodpecker 2022-10-02-01.jpg

pileated woodpecker 2022-10-02-02.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Crested Cara Cara

crested caracara 2022-10-16-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

After the Falcon Heavy rocket launch, I made a small detour with no more of a plan than "there's a bike path, I wonder where it leads". At the end of the path, I found a small park with a pond across the street. There I found 2 birds. The first was a tricolored heron, while, always a nice find, isn't all that unusual. The other was a brown wading bird. For just a moment, I wondered if I had spotted the ever elusive American bittern. That elusiveness made me reconsider. Bitterns prefer to wade near (and hide in) tall marsh grass, and there was none to be found here. That only left two likely suspects -- the night herons. The adult versions of the two species, yellow and black crowned, are easy to distinguish from one another, but the immature versions are another story. Ultimately, after double checking with my phone, I decided it was the stockier immature black crowned type. They aren't unusual for the area, but finding an immature one in bright sunlight, just 20 feet from a bike path was certainly a welcome surprise.

black crested night heron 2022-10-01-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Not quite a turkey
not quite a chicken.jpg

In truth, it's not even quite a chicken. It's just that, with how it was posed in the sunlight, it was obviously having a moment. All I could do was oblige with a photograph.

evilmike

evilmike

A Limpkin with an Evening Snack
limpkin 2022-12-19-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Sandhill Cranes Relaxing
sandhills in front of fountain 2022-12-28-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

In my travels, I am occasionally reminded of @ThatNickGuy ...

armadillo 2022-12-28-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Scrub Jay to start the New Year

scrub jay 2022-12-28-01.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

"'ey who you callin' a scrub?"

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

A Gull in Focus

gull on railing 2022-01-24-01.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

20 years ago it would be, "Gulls on Film!"

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

20 years ago it would be, "Gulls on Film!"
My reference for that is over 40 years ago, 1981.

mikerc

mikerc

My reference for that is over 40 years ago, 1981.
That's what he said. Twenty years ago would be about 1981, I don't know what your crazy attempt to make me feel old by insisting that was 40 years ago is about but it hasn't worked.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Na early 2000s people were switching from film to digital. Gulls on Digital is not as catchy.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

That's what he said. Twenty years ago would be about 1981, I don't know what your crazy attempt to make me feel old by insisting that was 40 years ago is about but it hasn't worked.
Hey, I don't know when everyone hears stuff. Wasn't attempting to make you feel old, Vanna White is 65, heck I don't even think I'm old and I've been married longer than Dave. There could have been a release of the song in 2003, John Larroquette is 75, but I didn't take the time to look it up.

TLDR: You're old, and so am I, but not as old as we used to think this age was.

PatrThom

PatrThom

1675272474543.png

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Sea Turtle

Attachments

Bubble181

Bubble181

You mind my stealing that for a desktop background?

evilmike

evilmike

You mind my stealing that for a desktop background?
Not at all.

Need a bigger version?

evilmike

evilmike

Last week, I was looking for a couple of types of birds that I did not find. However, I did not have the same difficulty with the brown pelicans.

pelican 2023-02-20-01.jpg

pelican 2023-02-20-02.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Meadowlark Calling
meadowlark 2023-03-24-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Great Blue Heron

great blue heron 2023-03-28-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Royal Tern in Flight
royal tern in flight 2023-04-16-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Something for the Nest
snowy egret with nest material.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

For another nest...
scrub jay with nest material 2023-05-14-01.jpg

scrub jay with nest material 2023-05-14-02.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

The Right Kind of Habitat

A Florida scrub jay perching in a recently burned area of the scrub sanctuary where it makes its home. Interestingly, the fire didn't cause any habitat loss. Instead, Florida scrub needs to catch fire every few years to maintain the biome and keep it from turning into a forest. The sanctuary maintains 4 different cells of scrub, separated by fire breaks, so they can set fire to one every couple of years to rejuvenate them. The scrub jays were taking advantage of this fire-cleared area. They were all over this cell, going about their business, hunting for bugs (and helpfully ignoring photographers.)

scrub jay against the burn 2023-06-30-01.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

I can't help but notice this scrub jay knows how to accessorize.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I can't help but notice this scrub jay knows how to accessorize.

--Patrick
They are all pretty fashionable.

evilmike

evilmike

Good morning!
IMG_20230716_072817943_HDR.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

One unexpected side-effect of Hurricane Idalia was a sudden influx of American flamingos to the United States. The birds have made appearances as far north as Ohio and Pennsylvania. And even though Florida has a few accidental visitations a year from flamingos, it has never been in numbers like this. There have been multiple sightings, and some of those have been of as many as 50 birds. Unfortunately for me, almost all of the sightings have been over 150 miles away from here.

So far, the closest sighting that I have been able to manage is finding another type of pink bird -- the more common, and paradoxically less well known, roseate spoonbill:

spoonbill 2023-09-10.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Even though ospreys are fairly common here, I still end up taking pictures of them with some frequency. There are two reasons for this. They're easy to find, but more importantly, they are masters of the dramatic pose.
osprey 2023-09-10-01.jpg

osprey 2023-09-10-02.jpg

osprey 2023-09-10-03.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Reflecting
snowy egret reflecting.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Pause before Chaos

The reddish egret's feeding strategy is to patrol the tidal flats, and when it thinks there is a potential meal nearby, it unleashes as much energy as it can in a short burst. It runs; it hops; it flaps its wings. It does anything it can to startle, confuse, and harass any small fish in its zone of chaos, ultimately making them easy prey.

reddish egret 2023-10-09-01.jpg

reddish egret 2023-10-09-02.jpg

reddish egret 2023-10-09-03.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A Bird Tale

Every year, a few fork-tailed flycatchers get confused as they migrate between Brazil and Argentina and fly the wrong way. Ultimately, they end up in North America, often in Florida. This year, one of them ended up in Floridana Beach. It's a fairly obscure community (nestled between the equally unknown Melbourne Shores and Sunnyland Beach). The community does have one important detail however -- it's easy to get to. Some years, a flycatcher will visit the area, only to stay miles from the nearest public road. This year, not only is the area accessible, the flycatcher is amusing itself by flying between a county park and the state park right next door -- much to the delight of dozens of bird watchers. The only trick is figuring out which park the bird is currently visiting, or to be stubborn enough to stay in one spot until it eventually flies by. I caught up with the flycatcher on the road between the two parks. It flew right in front of me and perched on a wire just long enough for me to get a couple of pictures.

Other than its rarity, the flycatcher has one other feature that is noteworthy -- its tail is at least as long as the rest of its body.
fork-tailed flycatcher.jpg

fork-tailed flycatcher 2023-10-29-02.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Repurposed

I don't think this old dock can be used for its intended purpose. Fortunately, the pelicans have found a new use for it.

pelican dock 2023-10-29.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Reddish Egret in the Surf

This was a pleasant surprise from a few weeks ago. I normally find reddish egrets in isolated areas, far from the crowds. Imagine my surprise when I spotted one going fishing in the surf, with all of the typical reddish egret energy (otherwise known as "zoomies"), near the surfers and swimmers at a popular tourist beach. It's off-season, so the beach isn't as crowded as it might be, but it was far from deserted.

reddish egret 2023-11-25-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A couple of Spring visitors:

American Robin
robin 2024-02-15-01.jpg

Cedar Waxwing
cedar waxwing 2024-02-15-01.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Pictures from my trip to the botanical gardens last weekend. It might be cheating slightly to take Spring-like pictures at a Botanical Gardens, but I'm happy with the results. Lucked into a bug in the second picture, which is a bonus.

flower at mckee 2024-03-17-01.jpg

flower and dragonfly at mckee.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

flower and lilypad at mckee 2024-03-17.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

A New Family
great blue heron family 2024-03-31-01.jpg