The Shitty Officiating Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Detroit got royally screwed by a call that said the receiver didn't catch the ball. Bullshit. I'm not a fan of the Lions but holy hell was that a bad call and review.

C

crono1224

I was about to post this thread, this was the worst call in the history, and I am sick of Detroit teams being fucked over, if that was New England or Dallas that shit wouldn't have been called that same way. I hope the official that overruled the call on the field (before the booth review) gets his ass chewed out. In any other situation 2 steps and a knee down is fucking a catch but because he didn't hold it for the next 20 seconds and whatever bullshit reason.

The lions sucked dick this game (offensively), and they finally get a huge break just to lose to officiating. Never again should a game be determined by such bullshit rules.

Unfortunately, the call is correct. The rule is that if the receiver is falling as a result of a play on the ball, he has to control the ball all the way to the ground. Even if he set the ball on the ground as he hit it, it's incomplete by the rules. Call it a stupid rule if you will, but CJ should have known that, and the officials made the correct call.

C

crono1224

Unfortunately, the call is correct. The rule is that if the receiver is falling as a result of a play on the ball, he has to control the ball all the way to the ground. Even if he set the ball on the ground as he hit it, it's incomplete by the rules. Call it a stupid rule if you will, but CJ should have known that, and the officials made the correct call.
Change the rule it is stupid and useless he took two steps and his knee hit. The rule is archaic and rarely used for a reason because who the hell cares. It was a cop out and a bullshit way of saving the bears from losing to a terrible team. And much like other rules which are pretty much judgement calls this one should have went in favor of the fact he did enough to constitute as a catch and him dropping the ball after catching it in the endzone.

Change the rule it is stupid and useless he took two steps and his knee hit. The rule is archaic and rarely used for a reason because who the hell cares. It was a cop out and a bullshit way of saving the bears from losing to a terrible team. And much like other rules which are pretty much judgement calls this one should have went in favor of the fact he did enough to constitute as a catch and him dropping the ball after catching it in the endzone.[/QUOTE]

Come on. It's not a judgment call in the slightest. The officials call it that way every time when it happens (not too often). There is no NFL officiating agenda to get the Bears the victory. The Lions were outgained 500-150. Maybe that is a bigger reason they lost.

L

Liv

saving the bears from losing to a terrible team
But not saving the Bears from being a terrible team with a worse-than-terrible coach. Down one with the opposing offense doing absolutely nothing and their quarterback out, they couldn't get two feet to get into the end-zone. If that wasn't bad enough, they then went for it on fourth down and failed miserably. They didn't deserve to win, but I still think the call was right, even if the rule is stupid. It certainly didn't look to me as if he was setting the ball down after a catch, more that it popped out of his hand as he recovered from his jump.

Q

Qonas

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaARGH!

Seriously though, I had no idea Jim Joyce was also a NFL ref.

C

crono1224

saving the bears from losing to a terrible team
But not saving the Bears from being a terrible team with a worse-than-terrible coach. Down one with the opposing offense doing absolutely nothing and their quarterback out, they couldn't get two feet to get into the end-zone. If that wasn't bad enough, they then went for it on fourth down and failed miserably. They didn't deserve to win, but I still think the call was right, even if the rule is stupid. It certainly didn't look to me as if he was setting the ball down after a catch, more that it popped out of his hand as he recovered from his jump.[/QUOTE]

The bears are terrible and it didn't help the lions lost their starting QB for the whole second half. Neither team played to win it 7 turn overs is ridiculous.

After seeing it myself, I have to say that I think it should have been a touchdown. However, the officials got the ruling correct. It's a dumb rule, but it's still a rule and they applied it correctly to this situation.

Anyone see the Eagles/Rams play where they ruled a fumble even after a replay which clearly showed that not only was the guys knees on the ground, the ball came loose after he hit the ground? Some great officiating going on today.

W

wana10

officials called it the exact same way against the bears letting the lions win back in '04. it's a shit rule but as the falling was part of the single catching motion he should have maintained possession.

also, confusing two games there krisken, that was the cardinals v rams and yes that was an interesting call...

Dear Lions,

Next time don't wait until the last fucking play of the game to try and win the game. You will find it is much harder to give the officials an opportunity to impact the outcome when you actually play good football for sixty minutes.

Signed,
A fan who is already tired of listening to your fans complain.

Dear Fox,

Thank you for letting me watch the Panthers at the Giants. You have saved me from having to watch two shit teams in Chicago and Detroit participate in a game that few would call football.

Signed,
A Relieved viewer.

C

crono1224

I don't think the panthers game was any better 3 fumbles (2 lost), 3 interceptions and you let jimmy Clausen show his face. Regardless, it is stupid that they waited till one of the last plays of the game to show up mostly because chicago was letting them get short passes to try and take away from the long ball which ironically they still let go.

The rule is silly that is possession in any other instance, the fact that it was overruled by a lineman that was farther away is even sillier. I bet you if it was called a TD and then reviewed it wouldn't have been overturned.

officials called it the exact same way against the bears letting the lions win back in '04. it's a shit rule but as the falling was part of the single catching motion he should have maintained possession.

also, confusing two games there krisken, that was the cardinals v rams and yes that was an interesting call...
Sorry, you're right. Cards vs Rams.

W

wana10

i only remembered something like that because i was struck by how green the eagles uniforms during their game...usually they're a bit more blue green than they were today.

Q

Qonas

Dear Lions,

Next time don't wait until the last fucking play of the game to try and win the game. You will find it is much harder to give the officials an opportunity to impact the outcome when you actually play good football for sixty minutes.

Signed,
A fan who is already tired of listening to your fans complain.
I'm sorry, I forgot we're supposed to expect Shaun freaking Hill to have the exact same ability, poise, and football IQ of our starting quarterback Matt Stafford. :noidea:

Listen we just got Jim Joyce'd for the second time in a year. Now a regular season NFL game isn't a perfect game, but this win would have been gigantic for the Lions. Coming off two years with a combined 2-30 record, and coming off losing their emotional and on-field leader in Matt Stafford just during the game, for the Lions to come back to earn that divisional win in Chicago would've been huge. If the perfect game robbery was a kick to the balls, this out-and-out theft was knocking the wind out of the collective body of Detroit. Hell yeah we're gonna complain and hell yeah the NFL is going to hear holy hell from us.

It wasn't an out-and-out theft. Calvin Johnson's job is to know what the rules about catching a ball are. You gotta catch it and hit the ground. Try getting two hands on it and bringing it into your chest like a professional next time, chump.

Q

Qonas

He catches the ball. He brings it to his body. He lands in the end zone. His ass hits, his back hits, his head hits. his feet hit. Then, after a full two seconds of lying there down, he uses the ball to get up.

In a league where Jahvid Best somehow magically got a thread off the tip of the football to cross the goal line for a touchdown, where Ahmad Bradshaw spikes the ball past the goal line and that's a touchdown, Calvin Johnson actually catching the ball and landing down in the end zone is not a touchdown. That's a league that can't be taken seriously.

Personally, I think the Lions got jobbed. However, I am highly amused to learn that the very same rule apparently was used to nullify a Bears touchdown in a home game for Detroit under similar game conditions a couple years ago. Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

Correct call. It is actually a fairly recent rule, last 10 years or so. It is meant to clear up the catches that are attempted on the sidelines, where the receiver catches the ball, drags his feet to be in bounds, lands and drops the ball. The rule also only counts if the receiver was untouched. The ground can not cause a fumble, but it can keep you from completing a reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.