Thinkpads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a new work laptop, so of course I'm requesting another Thinkpad. Not just any Thinkpad though, the X1 Carbon.

Thinkpads. Great Laptops or Greatest Laptops? Discuss.

A few years back, we got rid of our thinkpads. I called them stink pads. But of course, they were 11 year old laptops and still worked. They performed terribly but lasted forever.

I've heard nothing but bad things about them since IBM stopped making them. Maybe thats changed?

IBM stopped making them a long time before they actually sold the brand. They sold the brand to the company that was actually manufacturing them. They haven't changed much in terms of durability or reliability, but like any other "good brand" there are some stinky products along the way. Just don't buy anything the day it comes out - wait for the reviews and a few months of people actually using them and you can avoid the worst bombs.[DOUBLEPOST=1354293924][/DOUBLEPOST]Says the person who bought an iphone 5 the day it came out... :whistling:

I know what you mean, but at the same time I've yet to find a PC laptop that's as reliable. Also they're the only ones with the nub.

Some Dell laptops still have the mouse nipple, but I suppose all thinkpads do. It's actually one of the things that annoys me about them. I'll take a large multi touch trackpad any day.

I actually prefer the nubs to trackpads. I got so good at using them, I could play FPS games on them.

Anyway, I used to use a Thinkpad, about six or seven years ago. It was indeed reliable and hardy, until I upgraded to gaming laptops.

This is the first place that I've heard to refer to it as a nipple... my coworkers go by the left and right answers from that comic.

Easier to pronounce than "I'm-too-lazy-to-reach-all-the-way-down-to-the-trackpad-pointing-device," at least.

--Patrick

That of course depends on how many commands I can issue via keyboard equivalent.
Also depends on what sort of deadline I'm under, if any. Most of the time I'm not in sufficient rush for mouse breaks to impact my productivity enough to matter.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.