Export thread

this is a real movie. it will probably be seen by millions of people. it exists.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

wikipedia said:
Jack McCall, a fast-talking Hollywood literary agent (Murphy) is cursed with a magical Bodhi tree in his backyard by a New Age guru, Dr. Sinja after lying to him and only has a thousand words to speak, as every word he says makes a leaf fall from the tree, and he will die when the last leaf falls.
I just saw an ad for this movie. I stared at the screen and replayed it on DVR just to make sure I didn't miss like. Some words or something in this bizarre high-concept. Then I checked wikipedia to make sure it wasn't a temporary fever dream. Then yup. I read that premise. Even more bizarre is that this movie has been in the can since 2008, and now will finally be unleashed on the world.

oh, and the title? A Thousand Words

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wait wait wait... starring Eddie Murphy?

Directed by the director behind Norbit and Meet Dave?

I am confused.

strawman

strawman

I'm guessing his last words will be "I love you."

But it would be funnier if they were something else. Like, "Yes, I need a medium pepperoni with"

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Starring Eddie Murphy. Directed by the guy behind the Shaggy Dog remake and Smallville. Written by the guy behind the Bruce/Evan Almighty movies, Jack and Jill, and A Night at the Roxbury.

There is no chance for it to be good.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The premise is just so bizarre

strawman

strawman

Someone who graduated to movie script writing from the hallmark channel thought, "If a picture is worth a thousands words, how much are a thousand words worth?" then jumped off from there. It's no more bizarre than a movie based on a board game, but with aliens! Or any number of other movie plots.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I don't know. I have a "Liar Liar" vibe from the trailer.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Jim Carrey didn't DIE if he said a dozen lies or something though, nor was he cursed by a fucking NEW AGE GURU?!

MindDetective

MindDetective

Certainly the guru is a strange choice but it is as much a plot device as a boy making a birthday wish.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

Well it'll be mediocre at best but at least it'll be more original than most crap coming out these days.

strawman

strawman

It reminds me of Murphy's 80's films. Religion and spirituality is a topic ripe for humor, and in at least one film he was the guy that didn't believe, but ultimately was converted - at least partially - to believing that perhaps there's more to life than what's easily seen on top.

New Age Guru is a joke for the movie, and the impetus for his problems, but it's not any more strange than many other seeds of conflict in other comedies.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The premise is just so bizarre
You don't read many books, do you?

ElJuski

ElJuski

Not only do I like it, but I think weird shit like this needs to exist and flourish to make more movies, in general, possible.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Not only do I like it, but I think weird shit like this needs to exist and flourish to make more movies, in general, possible.
Agreed. I'm hoping the movie of Midnight's Children will have some of the book's magical realism.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Call me crazy, but this looks like it will be the first decent comedy Eddie Murphy has done in over a decade. I also like that it features Clark Duke in a pretty front and centre role. I mean, Hot Tub Time Machine wasn't his fault.

Krisken

Krisken

I was ready to be horrified. Strangely, I'm not. This might actually be one of Murphy's better movies in recent times.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Hilarious how this has gone since post #1.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm drunk, and I still think this'll suck.

Great concept, terrible execution.

Krisken

Krisken

Nick thinks it should have muppets.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Jim Carrey didn't DIE if he said a dozen lies or something though, nor was he cursed by a fucking NEW AGE GURU?!
No, he was cursed by a child wishing on a birthday cake, which we all know is 100% more plausible.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Nick thinks it should have muppets.
Everything would be better with Muppets. FACT!

ElJuski

ElJuski

No, he was cursed by a child wishing on a birthday cake, which we all know is 100% more plausible.
I don't think he was talking about plausibility, but rather the dire seriousness of it, which is definitely not in the normal cheeky Jim Carey / Eddie Murphy vein.

strawman

strawman

I have to remind myself that Murphy did Mushu's voice (mulan) and Donkey (shrek).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, he just completely disappeared into those roles.

Overflight

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Like the concept in the OP, not so sure about the folks involved in the execution.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I never said this was going to be a bad movie. Just weird.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

*ahem*
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm not a good judge of movie taste, my favorite Eddie Murphy movies are Golden Child and Pluto Nash.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Um, Coming to America is one of the best comedies ever made.

Just Me

Just Me

Agreeing absolutely!

Tress

Tress

Totally. And Golden Child was underrated. It was a great movie!

kaykordeath

Well it'll be mediocre at best but at least it'll be more original than most crap coming out these days.
Was going to say just this. Also getting the Liar Liar vibe but the limited number of words concept is not one I'ev seen before...so kudos for that.

And death hanging over the character's head isn't unheard of either...look at Stranger Than Fiction.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I still have never seen Coming to America. But I will confess I liked Bowfinger. I was only 12 or 13 when I saw it though, so I don't know if it was actually funny or not.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Bowfinger was the good one.

Just Me

Just Me

Bowfinger was the good one.
This!
A rather underrated movie from what I gather, but I liked it from the start and still after I don't know how many viewings 'Fake Purse Ninja' still cracks me up.
Also still loving Hudson Hawk.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm glad to hear it. I should definitely rewatch it nowadays. I'm sure there's a lot I missed as a 12 year old.

Tress

Tress

This!
Also still loving Hudson Hawk.

Just Me

Just Me

Aw man, no love for poor Bruce being totally batshit crazy and over the top?
Ah well, I might also once again add The Pirate Movie as my absolute guilty pleasure.