[Gaming] This is why charging for online passes is complete bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/19/online-pass-game-included-in-latest-ea-server-shutdowns/#continued

So EA is shutting down more servers for games. Not unusual, they do it all the time, sometimes in as little time as a year. No, what is unusual is that this time the games included are some that had the required online passes. There's really no excuse for this.

Games being shut down are:
April 13, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown

BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii
Burnout™ Revenge for Xbox 360
EA Create for PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
EA Sports Active 2.0 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp for Wii
FIFA 10 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
The Godfather™ II for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
MMA for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
The Saboteur™ (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Spare Parts for PlayStation 3 Xbox 360

March 31, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown

BATTLEFIELD™ 3: Aftershock for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
Fantasi Safari for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
Ghost Harvest for iPhone

doomdragon6

Staff member
I'd like to participate in this conversation but I don't guess I fully understand what the Online Pass or any of this is.

Online passes is charging people to play online if they buy the game used. Like, say I bought a copy of EA Sports MMA right now used from EB and brought it home. I couldn't go online. I could however, fork over 15 bucks to EA in order to be able to connect to their servers and less than a month later they shut down their MMA servers. Oops, guess I'm SOL.

I seem to recall, a while back, people saying EA is no longer evil. Can't remember which game it was due to, though.

Anyway, EA's now back to their evil ways, and the world's back to normal.

EA went non evil and tried to put out new and innovative games and were very consumer friendly for like a year or so a couple of years ago. Gamers responded by not buying their games at all.

It was around the time they put out Mirror's Edge I recall. Having to explain to parents that if they buy the game used they are going to have to spend another 10-15 to play it online is absolutley daunting. Especially when used games are somtimes priced only 10-15 dollars less.

Having to explain to parents that if they buy the game used they are going to have to spend another 10-15 to play it online is absolutley daunting. Especially when used games are somtimes priced only 10-15 dollars less.
That's the reason why they went with that figure: Gamestop sells recently released used titles for about 10-15 bucks less. It was entirely a move to undercut Gamestop. What EA doesn't seem to understand is that GS could just charge less and still pull a significant profit.

I don't really see what the big deal is, I guess. As you said yourself, Frankie, servers are closed down all the time. It's usually done due to general inactivity or much lower activity than when the game first launched. This is honestly why I'm not a fan of the online elements of a game being better than offline - eventually, those servers will likely be taken down. Then again, I'm not even remotely an online playing kinda guy.

That's because EA does the closed server thing instead of making it client side. They do this to prevent cheating, but also to force people to buy newer versions of their titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.