Export thread

This will make you feel old

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Beloit College Mindset List

In the above link is a collection of hints and tips for professors, lecturers, and TA's. It's a reminder that pop culture references which are familiar to us are completely alien to them. I was an athletic tutor last spring, and while my tutees were smart they never wrote in cursive. Whatever happened to penmanship?

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

You know, I don't think most people born in 1992 know about the Buffy movie, the Lothos/Hemery High reference just seems wrong and would be better off with referring to the TV series. And "computers have never lacked a CD-ROM drive"? For reals? First off, netbooks. Secondly, most of them have combination drives that read DVDs and... Oh my god, why am I even bothering. Lists like this irritate me. Yes, this generation did not share the experiences of your generation, but shockingly we do know who Dirty Harry is, even if Clint Eastwood directed more movies during 'our time'.

Also also, I write in cursive, but I know I'm the minority on that one, and on that point at least I do agree, this generation loses some class there.

Element 117

Git off mah lawn.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

When I first started as a TA I could make references to movies like Top Gun and everybody understood them. Now I just get blank stares.

blotsfan

blotsfan

11 isnt true. He played in two doubles tournaments in 2006.

Reboneer

50. Toothpaste tubes have always stood up on their caps.
... wait, what?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They don't teach cursive anymore because it's next to impossible for some people (like me) to read and is really only necessary for signatures now anyway. Besides, everything is typed up these days and virtually everyone has access to a PC thanks to Public Libraries.

That being said, I'm still rather old school in my gaming habits. I still draw up my own maps and write down hints on a notepad while playing.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They don't teach cursive anymore because it's next to impossible for some people (like me) to read and is really only necessary for signatures now anyway. Besides, everything is typed up these days and virtually everyone has access to a PC thanks to Public Libraries.

That being said, I'm still rather old school in my gaming habits. I still draw up my own maps and write down hints on a notepad while playing.
I tried to be new school with the pen and paper stuff, but it's just easier to mess with spacing on a notebook page than to try juggling word files.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm not even talking about Pen and Paper stuff... I mean like Console RPGs and such.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

...There's usually a mini-map on-screen.

makare

I hate cursive. I dont like reading it and I dont like writing it. My personal opinion is that the only reason cursive existed initially was because the old quill pens worked better writing in a flowing together manner. Now we dont have that problem. Break free people, break free.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

...There's usually a mini-map on-screen.
Maybe in the games YOU play...

Joe Johnson

Some of these are a bit off:

"Leasing has always allowed the folks to upgrade their tastes in cars."

When I was a kid, my best friend's parents were leasing their car - and I'm 40.

"Nirvana is on the classic oldies station"

I've never heard Nirvana on the classic oldies station, but they DO play it on the "Hard Rock" station.

"J.R. Ewing has always been dead and gone. Hasn’t he? "

They probably have no idea who the fuck J.R. Ewing is.

"The Post Office has always been going broke"

Hmm, isn't this one sort of true? I don't ever remember the post office as being particularly profitable.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I hate cursive. I dont like reading it and I dont like writing it. My personal opinion is that the only reason cursive existed initially was because the old quill pens worked better writing in a flowing together manner. Now we dont have that problem. Break free people, break free.
I stopped writing in cursive the instant I hit high school and it was no longer required.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The JR reference goes back to the original list for the class of 2002. Which is the best list.

I also don't think a kid that started grade-school around '98 ever played on an Apple ][

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

I stopped writing in cursive the instant I hit high school and it was no longer required.[/QUOTE]

Same, when I stopped writing in cursive, my grades went up. The teacher could actually read what I was writing...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Neat add on list to one of the early posts.

In all fairness to this latest generation of entering college students, we this year add a list of items that only a child of the '80s can explain...don't ask us!

1. They owned and operated a "trapper keeper."
2. They can explain the "cha-ching" thing.
3. They know what a "burnout" is.
4. They know what "psych" means.
5. During time in the arcade, they actually lined up quarters on the top panel of the game to "reserve" a spot.
6. They know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off."
7. They know that another name for a keyboard is a "synthesizer."
8. They can name at least half of the members of the elite "Brat Pack."
9. They know who Tina Yothers is.
10. They felt ashamed when Rob Lowe got in trouble for having sex with minors and videotaping it, because they liked him.
11. They know who Max Headroom is.
12. They could breakdance, or wished they could.
13. Partying "like it's 1999" seemed SOOO far away.
14. They thought that "transformers" were more than meets the eye.
15. They can, right now, hum the theme to Inspector Gadget.
16. They wanted to be on Star Search.
17. They can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off.
18. They wore banana clips at some point during their youth, or knew someone who did.
19. They owned a doll with "Xavier Roberts" signed on its rear, or knew someone who did.
20. They knew what Willis was "talkin' 'bout."
21. They HAD to have their MTV.
22. They hold a special place in their hearts for Back to the Future.
23. They thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool.
24. They actually thought Dirty Dancing was a REALLY good movie.
25. They collected Garbage Pail Kids.
26. They actually saw Ted Danson as the MacDaddy he played "Sam" to be.
27. They remember when ATARI was a state of the art video game system.
28. They own(ed) cassette singles.
29. They were led to believe that, in the year 2000, we'd all be living on the moon.
30. They owned pieces of the Care Bear Glass collection from Pizza Hut.
31. Poltergeist freaked them out.
32. They have occasionally pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf.
33. They know what a Doozer is.
34. They wore bike shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish, or knew someone who did.
35. They had Swatch Watches.
36. They had WonderWoman or Superman underoos.
37. They know what a "Whammee" is.

Chazwozel

Yup. Cursive used to be popular because it was the "faster" way to write. Thank you, Mr. Wordprocessor.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I miss mechanical typewriters :( They had such an elegant sound.

Chazwozel

I stopped writing in cursive the instant I hit high school and it was no longer required.[/QUOTE]

I write in a weird semi-cursive style that only I can read when taking notes.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

So I looked up my classyear (2004). This list is pretty fucking stupid.

Wasabi Poptart

I miss mechanical typewriters :( They had such an elegant sound.
I agree. I loved my great-uncle's old typewriter. I had an electric, but it wasn't the same.