Export thread

Tomorrow's December 18th

Cajungal

Cajungal

Some of you might remember a post about my godparents' anniversary being on December 18th. Their kids created this family tradition in their memory: Share Their Smile Day.

I know everyone is busy for the holidays, but I just wanted to remind everyone of this. I'm not sure what I plan to do yet, but I want to make it good for the first year of this tradition. If you feel moved to do something nice for someone else tomorrow--even if it's in the memory of someone you didn't really know, it would really make me happy. I'll report back tomorrow about what I figured out. I hope that this tradition will make me feel more giving all year 'round.

Let me tell you a little bit about both of them at least:

My Aunt Karen was a very kind Catholic lady. She had a beautiful garden that she loved and was very talented at cross stitch. She gave them out as gifts all the time. She made the best red velvet cake I've ever had. She called me "angel" and never let my stupid teenage cynicism get to her. She knew I still had a soft heart underneath, and she never let me forget about it.

Uncle Greg loved his family and his grandchildren more than anything. He could make us all laugh and was a great tennis player. He suffered a huge amount of guilt when my aunt died, because they had been separated. When he died, my cousins tell me he looked up at them with a smile that reflected a kind of clarity and peace that they hadn't seen in a long time.

Thanks for letting me say this, everyone. :) Merry Christmas.

strawman

strawman

Conveniently I can also use this picture for "Frighten a small child day."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Bah humbug!

Jiarn

This sounds like a great idea. Count me in:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I will spare you the sight of my current, somewhat uncouth appearance, but I will give you this: :)

Jiarn

Cmon North_Ranger, I took one at work. Saturday's are known as "come however the hell you want" I didn't bother shaving, I'm wearing a T-Shirt and that's a "I'm stuck at work on a Saturday" grin. You can do it too!

General Specific

General Specific

I'm on the first weekend of my new job and it lasts 2 weeks :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

Literal smile-sharing. I like that. :D I didn't get to celebrate as much as I wanted. I wanted to go downtown and give sandwiches and hot chocolate to the homeless, but I was stuck packing all night when I thought I'd be done by 6. So I donated some food and let a lady use a public restroom before me because she looked uncomfortable. Two tiny things, but it reminded me how good small gestures feel. I have "rain check" plans for later in the week, but it was a good day. Jake participated by carrying all my heavy stuff. :wub: Mom gave her niece who's newly divorced and a little down on her luck some extra Christmas money. It was a happy day.