Export thread

Turning my laptop into a desktop

WolfOfOdin

Well, the worst finally happened. I was in a car accident today (just spun out, but spun out really hard and almost hit a tree) and my laptop's LCD screen was broken. So far it'd be 390$ to get it fixed.

So, here's my idea...buy a cheap monitor, set it so that my laptop uses only it as a display, plug in a mouse and keyboard and turn the thing into a desktop...which would cost about 120$

Good idea/bad idea?

figmentPez

figmentPez

This would happen to be the reason for the accident? Would it?

WolfOfOdin

:p No, coming back from work in a blizzard was

drifter

drifter

Sounds reasonable to me. If desk space is at a premium what with a laptop and keyboard, this might be a nice workaround.

Also, if you want to save a couple bucks, Staples has an Acer 20" for $100, starting 12/20, with free shipping. There's also a 10% coupon available.

strawman

strawman

Well, the worst finally happened. I was in a car accident today (just spun out, but spun out really hard and almost hit a tree) and my laptop's LCD screen was broken. So far it'd be 390$ to get it fixed.

So, here's my idea...buy a cheap monitor, set it so that my laptop uses only it as a display, plug in a mouse and keyboard and turn the thing into a desktop...which would cost about 120$

Good idea/bad idea?
Yes, that would work just fine.

However, prowl around on Ebay. You might be able to find your laptop LCD screen for $100. If so, replacing it yourself is not horribly difficult.