Export thread

TV Advice? Pt2

Jiarn

So finally after alot of hunting around I've decided to go the route of:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/9783579.p?id=1218173772681&skuId=9783579

I'm going with the 6300 because there doesn't seem to be enough difference between that and the 6400 or 6500 for the price difference. The reason I'm going with Best Buy is because the price is practically the same as Newegg and Amazon, without the shipping or the wait. Also will be picking up a PS3 160gb at the store (They're giving a $50 gift card so why not right?) so I figured all in one package right? I'll probably pick up a decent HDMI cable while I'm there.

So I guess the final question is, would there be any other LED tv (or a better place to get this one) that I should consider before taking this plunge? I don't buy TVs often (last one was 6yrs ago) so this one is going to be a long term investment. Some advice on a good HDMI cable or any other PS3 advice would be appreciated.

Joe Johnson

My advice, don't spend over 5/10 bucks on an HDMI cable.
And, go to cnet.com and look at a review of that TV - I've always liked their reviews. They are pretty stingy with the stars.

Mathias

Mathias

Good HDMI cable = anything that's 10 bucks or less. Seriously, don't fall for any of the crap the Best Buy dude's going to give you about HDMI cables. THEY ALL GIVE YOU THE SAME END RESULT!

I'll throw this out there: This is my TV
LN52A650 http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln52a650/4505-6482_7-32887597.html?tag=rvwBody

If you can still find one out there, it'll be cheaper than the one you're currently looking at, and it has been literally the best LCD HDTV I've seen out there. People who come over to watch sports, play games, and movies at my place always comment about how sharp the image is compared to their HDTV.

I've had it for 2+ years now, and have had no issues or problems. It's still a great looking TV.

Joe Johnson

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-...-34001698.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

Looks like they reviewed the 6500 favorably, but they note there is little difference between the models. Also, the user reviews under it all seem pretty glowing.

Mathias

Mathias

In general, I always recommend Samsung TV's all the way. I think compared to LG they're better quality, and compared to Sony they're better priced.

Jiarn

I would totally go with that LCD TV if I wasn't headed in the LED direction, thanks though Mathias. I figured that was also the case with HDMI cables, I just wondered if there was like a CAT5 version of HDMI cables kind of thing.

Thanks for the heads up on that Joe, that's pretty much what I figured too, there really wasn't enough of a difference to warrant a 200-400 price jump.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Not interested in plasma tvs at all? The videophile in me feels the need to chime in on how gorgeous their black levels and colour reproduction are.

Jay

Jay

As far as HDMI cables go, you really can't go wrong with Monoprice. (seriously check them out, prices are fantastic and quality is where it NEEDS to be). I don't trust BestBuy or any major outlet for great cables, at least without paying up to 5 times their price for no reason.
Added at: 12:49
Not interested in plasma tvs at all? The videophile in me feels the need to chime in on how gorgeous their black levels and colour reproduction are.
Not everyone wants to change their TVs every 3 years.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Not everyone wants to change their TVs every 3 years.
I haven't noticed any drop in black levels on my Panasonic Viera yet and I've had it for two years so far. My dad has had a Pioneer Kuros Elite for more than three years and it is still as dark as the day he bought it (I really wish they still manufactured that tv).

I will admit though that many plasma tvs do suffer from diminishing black levels as they age.

Jiarn

I don't really have the room for a Plasma though, also the electrical usage of the LEDs is another thing that's pushing me in their direction.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

You can get plasma screens that are small with very thin profiles... but that LED one that you posted seems a pretty good deal. Most plasma screens probably do use more energy than an LCD (though they have gotten much better in recent years).

You will likely be pretty happy with that LED tv... just please for the love of god don't use the stupid "Auto motion plus" frame rate interpolation (except on sports... because it's actually fairly decent for that)...

Jiarn

Really? I really like it, makes it look like I'm staring at real people instead of movies. Almost gives any movie a "documentary" feel.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Gah... it makes things look like they were shot on a cheap home handycam on VHS. Not to mention that it induces it's own distortion artifacts at times because it's making up frames that aren't actually there. Also, it totally destroys the ambience of many movies in its attempt to remove motion blur (the directors did choose those shutter speeds for dramatic effect).

If you like it, don't let me change your opinion... but I hate it with a passion.

Jiarn

Yep, opinions rock. -laugh-

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Yep, opinions rock. -laugh-
Damn straight!