[Question] Ubuntu slow internet on desktop, works fine on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my desktop set up to dual boot to Windows 7 or Ubuntu 11.04. When I'm logged into Ubuntu, however, the internet drags very slowly (~30 kb/s). It works at full-speed when I'm logged into Windows (>1 mb/s).

I recently installed the exact same Ubuntu disk I used for the desktop onto an old laptop, this time formatting the hard drive and making Ubuntu the primary OS. The laptop also gets internet at full speed, using the same connection as the desktop. The only other difference besides having just one OS is that the laptop connects to the router via wifi, while the desktop uses a LAN connection.

Desktop specs:
Building a Render Rig

Laptop specs:
Toshiba Satellite A135-S4656

Any ideas how I can make the desktop's connection with Ubuntu speed up?

I'd check to see if there were issues with a driver update for your ethernet connection. There was an update to Arch a few months back that just about destroyed wifi connectivity for certain Broadcom chipsets. It's fixed now, but it was quite painful for a while.

I'd check to see if there were issues with a driver update for your ethernet connection. There was an update to Arch a few months back that just about destroyed wifi connectivity for certain Broadcom chipsets. It's fixed now, but it was quite painful for a while.
Also plug your laptop directly to your router. If the connection slows down it's almost certainly a driver issue.

If it's not, check any processes make sure nothing is hogging the bandwidth on your desktop.

Also plug your laptop directly to your router. If the connection slows down it's almost certainly a driver issue.
Assuming the ethernet connection in the laptop is using the same driver or family of drivers as the desktop. If not, this may not prove anything. :(

Haven't tried the LAN on the laptop yet, but turns out the desktop starts going faster with a USB wifi adapter. I'll be figuring out how to change the drivers, but this works as a workaround for now. Thanks guys!

If it REALLY gets to be an issue, you can always drop in a PCI/PCIe network card with a different chipset. You can even get one with an Intel chip on-board for less than $30.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.