US Govt to public: "You're fat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, maybe not exactly. But I did find this interesting little .gov website advertised and find it interesting. I'm in what would be called the "ideal" weight range and aside from my considerable smoking and drinking habits am considered fairly fit. We all know that the American population is on average heavier than we should be. A government sponsored website to raise awareness and even offering tips and suggestions, I think that's good.

On one hand.

On the other, what does it really say about us, or any people to have to be handheld by our government. What happened to personal responsibility and owning up to your own actions?

Anyhow, linky: http://www.smallstep.gov/

US Govt to public: "Your fat"

I don't see how this affects personal responsibility any more than a governmental sticker about the dangers of smoking or drinking, government-sponsored AA stuff and many others. IIRC morbidity causes problems to society as a whole (work impediments, health problems, etc.), the government pointing it out would be a sane thing.

-- Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:40 pm --

Lawl, the "En Español" site is completely different.

Its understood that health problems and the costs associated with them have to be shouldered by us all. And in that vein I understand it completely. My problem with it (and this may stem from some other things I've been going through/seeing lately) is that it seems the American population is to used to sucking on the government tit and the situation is getting worse.

Perhaps some of this government funding should be used to give us all copies of this book:

I'm overweight with a BMI of 26.1. I'm a retarded statistic. Look at me, I'm very fit, my waistline is about perfect for my height and I exercise as a matter of fucking survival but I am one of those 2/3 people with a BMI over 25 so I am an overweight statistic.

S

SeraRelm

I'm so much in the minority...
Female, homosexual, and not a fat fuck like Chaz.
(That's right Chaz, put down the god damned fork!)

C

Chazwozel

SeraRelm said:
Female, homosexual, and not a fat smurf like Chaz.

:waah: I'm not fat, goddamn it :waah:

Seriously, I would totally post my nice 4 pack I've got going if it wouldn't end up on 4chan.

Green_Lantern

Staff member

Chazwozel said:
SeraRelm said:
Female, homosexual, and not a fat smurf like Chaz.

:waah: I'm not fat, goddamn it :waah:

Seriously, I would totally post my nice 4 pack I've got going if it wouldn't end up on 4chan.
That post become extra-awesome with your avatar. :aaahhh:

C

Chazwozel

I love this fucking avatar. The best part is that this is the exact same smirk I have when posting in any thread here.

Frankie said:
I'm overweight with a BMI of 26.1. I'm a retarded statistic. Look at me, I'm very fit, my waistline is about perfect for my height and I exercise as a matter of smurfing survival but I am one of those 2/3 people with a BMI over 25 so I am an overweight statistic.
BMI a bad way to measure whether somebody is fat or not because it doesn't take into account muscle mass. I mean back in the day I was wrestling 2 hours a day, lifting and running another 2. I was trim I was strong I have never ever been in better shape in my life BMI was still 28 just 2 points away from flat out obesity.

Cajungal

Staff member
Seems more like a tool provided to the public than anything else. You still have to take responsibility for doing the work to become healthy.

I agree that the U.S. is fat. Although, the BMI isn't all that great. I'm 6'2" 205lbs. I have a 34 inch waist, but the BMI says I'm overweight. So does Wii Fit. :waah:

Guess I need to weigh <195.

I do need to exercise more. I am a lazy shit about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.