USB cable problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necronic

Staff member
At work I'm setting up a mobile station which required some cables to be run through conduit. The conduit runs monitor and USB cables from the computer to a station with monitors on it, the USB will plug into the monitors and the keyboard/mouse will plug into the monitor.

While I was on vacation the mechanical guys ran the cables, and (of course) did it wrong. They ran some USB cable through it and put the wrong ends on each side. The Standard A side of the cable was run to the monitors and teh Standard B side was run to the computers.

I was going to just use some gender/plug adapters, but after reading a bit online I am not sure if that is a good idea, as the Standard A side (the thin 'normal' usb plug) is designed to supply power while the Standard B side (the fat plug) is designed to plug into the device receiving power. According to wikipedia messing with this could cause a fire.

However, in this situation both sides are self powered (PC/monitor) so I don't know if its an issue. It would be a MASSIVE pain to re run these cables, but I absolutely do not want to risk starting a fire on this system.

Anyone familiar with this problem?

Cut the connectors off both ends and switch (or reattach new ones).
Seems the most convenient solution.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.