Export thread

Vegetarianism... Maybe...?

BananaHands

BananaHands

So I'm going to bring this to the halforums table, because you all seem pretty grounded and what-not.

So, let me catch you up to speed. I was a vegetarian for a year and a half. Not for animal rights reasons (though I do tear up in movies where animals are in pain... Homeward Bound? That part with Shadow gets me every time), but more so for health. Considering all of the hormones and how unhealthy a lot of meat can be, I felt it kept my weight in check. Then, over this last summer I got real sick, and because I wasn't getting better I figured my immunity was out of whack, so I started back on meat. It turned out that I had black mold poisoning, so yikes... I was wrong. Still, one of my vegetarian friends game me a lot of shit about it, so... Scorned, I continued my meat regiment.

So here we are today, and although I kept the weight off at first, I was diagnosed with a heart condition and was disallowed from doing any physical activity. Also, I started dati g a vegetarian... Now, before you think it's because she's pressuring me, it's false. She's a hooorrrible vegetarian, her die consists of pizza and protein bars. She hates fruits and veggies! It angers my inner vegetarian and makes me miss all those awesome meals I would cook up (ask eljuski). I don't know... I did enjoy being a vegetarian and I could use
it to keep my weight in check. Any oppinions? Advice?

tl;dr - was a vegetarian, not anymore, thinking about going back.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Do you what you feel is best for yourself, if that means not eating glorious meat, then that is what you should do.

I ate like 5 or 6 pounds of chicken wings tonight. I honestly could never be a vegetarian.

Cajungal

Cajungal

You don't have to be totally strict about it if you DO go back. You could be mostly veggie, and if you ever feel like it, you could throw a little chicken or turkey into your diet. You'd still be taking care of yourself.

Since you seem to enjoy vegetarianism, I'd say go for it. All that "scorning" bullshit is just stupid and a pretty pretentious, considering you thought that you needed to eat meat for your health. Now that you know you don't, you should definitely embrace whatever choice would make you happiest. :) It seems like you're very aware of what's healthy and what's not, and also how to make healthy food interesting. So no matter what you choose, you'll probably always be a healthy person.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Do you what you feel is best for yourself, if that means not eating glorious meat, then that is what you should do.

I ate like 5 or 6 pounds of chicken wings tonight. I honestly could never be a vegetarian.
Pretty much this. Do it if YOU think it's what you need to do, don't let the veg friend make you feel like shit because you like meat. It's not his choice. Also, you can just watch portions and how often you eat as opposed to cutting out meat entirely.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Or you could eat yourself sick with chicken wings every Wednesday. THAT'S HOW I STAY HEALTHY!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I just wanna add that, if it was me, I'd keep some meat in my diet. I already eat mostly beans, eggs, and nuts for protein, but it gives me a little extra energy if I also incorporate some chicken, turkey, and fish into my diet. A lot of the women on my mom's side have slightly lower iron, and I find that eating lean meat makes me feel better on the whole.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

nuts for protein...and fish into my diet.

Cajungal

Cajungal

*sigh*

:facepalm:

CK, you're lucky you're pretty.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

*sigh*

:facepalm:

CK, you're lucky you're pretty.
:eek:

Wahad

Wahad

You don't need to go vegetarian if you want to keep your weight in check. But if that's the way you want to go about it, hey, go for it.

I tried being a vegetarian once - I failed miserably after a week. I need my meat ):

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I'm not a strict vegetarian. I do eat beef and pork. And chicken. But not fish 'cause that's disgusting!

But seriously, there are tons of great vegetarian dishes. This is coming from a guy who used to think being a vegetarian meant eating salad every day!

I am also trying to cutback on the amount of meat per meal; closer to what is recommended. It's a tough. I have had success with lentil dishes. I don't really miss meat all that much when I have that. I need to learn some more lentil/dal dishes.

Why are some vegans and vegetarians so militant? Weirdos.

As for weight loss, are you eating sugar or sodas? I cut out nearly all processed sugars from my diet, and I've been slowly losing weight, and I never work out. I know I should work out, but I'm a lazy shit.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Eat less, problem solved.

Cajungal

Cajungal

That's true, a lot of people eat way more than one serving of meat at a time. It shouldn't be bigger than the palm of your hand, or something like that.

DI--excellent Gaffigan quote. :D

@Li3n

@Li3n

But seriously, there are tons of great vegetarian dishes.
I'll believe that when i see it...

Wahad

Wahad

That's true, a lot of people eat way more than one serving of meat at a time. It shouldn't be bigger than the palm of your hand, or something like that.

DI--excellent Gaffigan quote. :D
Wait what really?

But the palm of my hand is so...tiny.

Vagabond

V.Bond

Don't see why you have to come to the conclusion to cut out meat entirely, since you said you weren't doing it for animal rights.

If you like you prefer mostly not eating meat, then just do that. Eat some dead animals only when you feel like it. If that's once a week/year/decade, whatever.

You won't get that coveted vegetarian title, but most of them are stuck up pricks anyway. :smug:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Wait what really?

About 3 oz.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Wait what really?

About 3 oz.[/QUOTE]

Man... i'd rather exercise then...

Cajungal

Cajungal

I think it's more for guys... like 5-8?

Wahad

Wahad

Oh. Phew.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:rofl: You don't have to take the word of some random girl on the internet, anyway. I could be wrong, and everyone's needs are probably a little different.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I think it's more for guys... like 5-8?
Bigger palms...

Cajungal

Cajungal

Except for Wahad, whose hands are quite dainty. :p

@Li3n

@Li3n

He just needs to use them more... ;)

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

If you like vegetarianism, do it! I have the psicological need to eat meat at least once a day, if I don't I feel terribly hungry (Yeah, I know it's irrational! I'm working on it!) but even in this situation I'm trying to find non-meat and non-carbohidrates (is this how they are called in english) solutions to have a better diet.

RocketGirl

The way I figure it, anything that doesn't eat meat is prey for something else that does. As I would prefer not to be killed and eaten, I eat meat purely out of self defense.

Tasty, tasty self-defense. :D

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm not a strict vegetarian. I do eat beef and pork. And chicken. But not fish 'cause that's disgusting!
If some fresh-out-the-smoke-house smoked lake herring with its sheer succulent texture and orgasmic flavour do not tickle your fancy, good sir, you are dead inside. [/mock-seriousness]

Also, Bananas... Here's a fat Finn who's trying to lose weight as well. You don't need to cut out animal products from your diet to be healthy. Seriously, meat is the best source of iron there is, unless one thinks having a salad and popping supplements sounds sane by comparison.

#1: If your portions are bigger than your head... cut back.
#2: The optimal dish has 1/2 plate of veggies (of any variety), 1/4 of sides (potatoes, rice, spaghetti) and 1/4 meat.
#3: How regularly do you eat? Do you have the three squares a day or do you eat when you get hungry? Regular habits keep the caloric intake in check.
#4: Ask your doc if swimming is a viable form of exercise for you.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

From another thread, but fits perfectly
Show this to your veg.friends and tell me they reaction ;)

Chazwozel

Being a vegetarian is too hard, and meat is just too delicious.

LordRavage

If god didn't want us to eat meat...he wouldn't have made it so tasty.

:D

fade

fade

So I'm going to bring this to the halforums table, because you all seem pretty grounded and what-not.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHA

HA.

*wipes away tear*

you all seem pretty grounded and what-not.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

rabbitgod

I'll mirror what other people have said. Your choice to not eat meat is not religious and it's not a moral issue. So if you have meat every now and then what's the big deal? My wife and I have 1-2 vegetarian meals a week. The week of thanksgiving we had veggie dishes Sunday through Wednesday. That built up the desire for Turkey and we feasted. It was great.

And as other people said, reduce the size of your portions. I know, it's scary for people out there to have a 5oz portion. But by reducing the portion size you can afford to buy the best quality. It's incredibly satisfying when the meat is at maximum quality. I do the same with chocolate. Buy the best and I only need 1oz to get the fix that I want.

Fun Size

Fun Size

What are you laughing at? I've been grounded for a week. No TV or anything.

As for the veggie thing - it's totally up to you. I'm a veggie myself, originally for health reasons, but that has kind of shifted. It's not that I feel bad for the animals, but killing them and eating them just seems harsh after making sweet, sweet love to them. Except for the chickens of course.

Cajungal

Cajungal

^Very true, rabbit. I'd rather have a little bit of good beef than a lot of crappy beef. It's harder for me to tell with chicken, but I can tell when I'm eating beef or pork that's not so great (barring obvious stuff like... canned chicken).

Dave

Dave

Eat your hands!

Your delicious BANANA HANDS!!

I got nothing. I'm also very carnivorous. I eat vegetables by eating beef. Because beef USED to eat vegetables so it has to be there somehow.

The CIIIIIIIIIRCLE of LIIIIIIIIIIIFE!

ElJuski

ElJuski

This is all because of that shitty fucking Chipotle Steak Burger, isn't it.

Chibibar

I was a vegetarian for 15 years (also for health) but I do crave meat here and there. there are Asian Veggie meat (which is WAY better than american version) So it is possible. If you have an Asian market near your place, you can check out what kind of vegetarian stuff they have. This will help supply some of the protein that you need (all from soy, veggies and different tofu) it is actually pretty good and even taste like meat (chicken are the best one)

Wasabi Poptart

I was mostly a non-meat person for a few years when I was living alone. I'm not a real fan of red meat to begin with. Plus living by myself with a mortgage and car loan to pay didn't leave me much money for food. I wasn't strict about it. I'd have chicken a couple times a month. I'd have turkey sandwiches. I ate eggs and fish, too. I really didn't miss red meat since I don't care for it. I ate a lot of cereal, fruit, salads, and soups.

I'd love to go back to eating that way. I had lost about 30 pounds without trying. I felt healthier. However, with a husband and son who are carnivores, and a budget that doesn't allow for me to make two separate meals every time we eat, I try to make healthier food choices and get better cuts of meat.

fade

fade

See, I've had the exact opposite experience. One of my biggest impediment to dropping meat is that meat is cheaper with respect to energy/filling than vegetables.

Rubicon

I dont think I could ever remove meat from my diet. I like some veggies but not many, most I find disgusting to taste. Beef, chicken, turkey, pork, love them. Not big on fish, hate it, but I love shrimp.

Hell dinner last night was meatloaf, a baked potato and cornbread.

Dave

Dave

Waitaminute! You came over for dinner last night? That's exactly what we had!!

Chibibar

See, I've had the exact opposite experience. One of my biggest impediment to dropping meat is that meat is cheaper with respect to energy/filling than vegetables.
sad but true :(

it is even CHEAPER to eat unhealthy than healthy.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHA

HA.

*wipes away tear*

you all seem pretty grounded and what-not.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....[/QUOTE]

Don't laugh! I'll have you know that I'm an excellent deterrent to lightning. I keep buildings functioning. :humph:

The Pumes

I remember hearing in passing reference about a couple forms of vegetarianism that are quite a bit less extreme (they allow certain things), one is able to include eggs (which are a fantastic source of protein), while the other says 'Hey brorleans you can eat anything besides mammals. Chicken and Fish are so much better for you than most red meats, and there are so many varieties of fish as well :3

In short: Don't eat the red meat brohantas.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Waitaminute! You came over for dinner last night? That's exactly what we had!![/QUOTE]

The only way to solve this is Highlander style. There can be only one!

Wasabi Poptart

sad but true :(

it is even CHEAPER to eat unhealthy than healthy.[/QUOTE]

While I know meat is cheaper as far as energy goes and being more filling than vegetables, when I was living alone it would have been a waste of money for me to buy beef. I'd buy a pack of steaks, cook one, and put the rest in the freezer. By the time I wanted another steak, they would be freezer burnt and I'd have to throw them away. With vegetables and fruits, I'd normally eat them before they went bad.

Gared

Gared

Honestly, if you want to switch back to vegetarianism, go for it. You have to do what you want to do, and what you feel is right for your life. Plus, there are some tasty, tasty vegetarian recipes out there.

Also, I agree with the Chibs, Asian meat substitutes are wayyyy better than American, if you can get your hands on them. I used to work for a small company that was owned by a Jewish man who kept to his Kosher laws, who liked to feed us all each week. One of the restaurants that we would order from was a Chinese/Indian restaurant that served Vegan, Kosher meals. They made "chicken" and "seafood" dishes that had absolutely no real meat in them, using soy protein replacements. I won't say that you couldn't tell the difference between real chicken and their substitute, because you definitely could; but while you were noticing the lack of real chicken you also knew that using real chicken would have ruined the dish and that the substitute was the right ingredient.

Gill Kaiser

What's the point of limiting yourself by subscribing to some kind of abstract ideal? Just eat what you feel like, and if that includes meat, fine, and if it's mostly vegetables, that's also fine. That's what I do.

Deschain

Never forsake yourself for other's expectations. The world is not you. Balanced meal is better than suffering because someone disagrees with you.

Gusto

Gusto

I could be a vegetarian if I had to but I could never go on Atkins.

I DO love meat, but I could never give up carbs.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Personally, I just eat healthy. Being a vegetarian just means I'd have to resort to other ways to get the nutrients I get out of meat, so I just eat the meat instead.

I only get vegans if they're in it for the animal cruelty and such, but not so much if it's because it's supposedly healthy for you.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I'm with the "lean veggie, stay omni" crowd. I see no reason to cut meat out entirely, but cutting some of the volume out of your diet and replacing some of it with more veggies could help a lot.

In my case, it's entirely a volume problem, regardless of what I eat, so I am trying, though not succeeding at all :)o), to reduce the total amount I eat.