Export thread

Video Camera?

Element 117

I'm looking for something that outputs to HardDrive, obviously, and can record High Definition with the option to add a microphone instead of the built in camera. I can afford basically any camera on the market, but a camera meant for hollywood pro journalists with the corresponding steep learning curve is not desired. I'm a newbie with film editing, so would like something that's easy to point and film, but also gives me the options I want to learn about later? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Are you going to be tripod mounting or hand filming primarily? What is your desired release type, ie, home videos, work release info vids, youtube/web videos, large theatrical release? Want something that is great for a specific purpose or one that is good for a variety of uses? -edit- how much control and editing do you want to be doing? Aside from just laying an external sound source, do you want to be splicing and cutting scenes with advanced effects or just filming an event with not much major editing? Putting in special effects and etc?

I'm not trying to pry into your purpose, not my business, just physhing for a few more details to try and guide a little bit better. (although I admit most of my knowledge is dated)

Element 117

full blown editing inside Final cut pro. Not wide release, but something that trends towards professional film making rather than youtube flip cams? tripod and handheld 30/70

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

LOL, ok, so I typed all this up before I checked the link you added to your OP. I was actually looking at the "little brother" of the camera you linked to as a suggestion (about 4 grand cheaper as well). Since I typed it all up I'm going to post it anyway as I still think it's about the best fit for you if you really do want to be able to explore those high end functions down the line.

If I was in the market for a new camera (and had the budget for it) I would be looking at this, or something very similar to it.
Canon XH-A1s 3CCD HDV Camcorder

Reviews I've read have it as an out of the box and good to go type camera, but packed with the more advanced features when you're ready. Not "professional" enough to be shooting Hollywood's next great blockbuster but high quality prosumer camera.
It's a 3CCD camera (which mean one charged coupled device (ccd) for capturing Red, Green, and Blue (RGB)) which provides a higher quality image and sharper colors even for HD. Tons of shooting formats for customization. External output via firewire (which is by far imo and experience superior to USB especially for video). Two external mic inputs with independent control. Plus it's a Canon. I've never owned a poor quality Canon.

Now, the problem with this camera is that it is a more professional grade and geared camera than the typical one you might run down to your local Best Buy to buy. Which means it's accessories would need to be ordered or found at a specialty store.

If you just want a lesser camera, all the factors I posted about above can still be scaled down to your more consumer side products. I'm not the end all go all source of information, but I hope this at least gives you a bit more to look at to fit your needs.

-edit-
Here's a good little read about a few different sides of the modern camcorder you might find useful. http://www.camcorderinfo.com/d/Reviews&level_b=Camcorder&level_c=HD.htm

Necronic

Necronic

I really have had a lot of luck with my Sony Handycam. It's not High Def, but the High def model of it isn't prohibitively expensive and doesn't come across like a crazy pro-model camera.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830179275

A couple general pieces of advice about buying a camera:

1) Barrel length may be the single most important feature on a camera. Little short barrel camera's are pieces of crap. (kind of like speakers and weight, never buy a light speaker if you want good quality)

2) Hard drive + memory card is the way to go. Memory card only doesn't have the capacity to take many high def shots.

3) Viewfinder is REALLY useful. If you have a lot of light you can't use the LCD screen very effectively.