Volcanoes!

coolbeans

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

Woohoo

No airplanes today, duvet day for me!

(sorry if your flights been cancelled)

Dusty668

I realize it's thursday, but still...

Have a pitcher of margarita's while waiting for your travel agency to answer.
That's what they're doing.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, that is one inconvenient ash cloud.

Iceland is barfing all over Europe.

coolbeans

Goddam iceland, first they take our money, then they take our planes!

edit

I just got on the local radio to explain that the ash cloud was not the goverments fault, nor caused by climate change and to stop blaming airline/airport staff for the disruption, gotta love the public.

David

David

I JUST LOST MY LUGGAGE AND I'M GOING TO FREAK OUT AT THE GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER WHO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH TRANSPORTING IT!

Also, in the map I see a man with a hard-on

---------- Post added at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

[/COLOR]Seriously! Just look at it!

redapples

My wife has been moaning that the ash cloud is stopping her from sunbathing. What's startling about this statement is that she used sunbathing in a sentence in April while living in Scotland. Though I note from the picture in this thread that its missed Scotland, so she'll have to go back to blaming Scotland for not being able to sunbathe in April.

coolbeans

I JUST LOST MY LUGGAGE AND I'M GOING TO FREAK OUT AT THE GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER WHO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH TRANSPORTING IT!

Also, in the map I see a man with a hard-on just about to jizz. Does that mean I'm gay?

---------- Post added at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

Seriously! Just look at it!
I honestly did not see that happening when I started this thread

Cajungal

Cajungal

Thank you, David. I'll never be able to unsee that.

Dusty668

Sooooo, what is the government supposed to do about a freaking volcano? Douse it with a firehose? give it a ticket for smoking in a no smoking strata? bulldoze over it? ring it round with yellow caution tape? Hey, lets throw environmentalists in it until its out! Maybe they had something with the virgin sacrifice thing!

Wasabi Poptart

My wife has been moaning...
Also, in the map I see a man with a hard-on just about to jizz.
:wtf: I guess that explains that.

Wyrminarrd

Given the nut case in charge of the environmental ministry one half expected her to try and have a cease and desist order issued against the volcano for disturbing the local flora :)

Here's a fun fact about eruptions from this volcano: When it is over (in maybe a year or two) there is high probability that an even larger volcano will erupt. This is of course based on historical events and might not be the case.

Dusty668

Please let it be the yellowstone supercano, I am soooo not looking forward to a nursing home when my hooties are old and flappy.

Ross

Ross

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

A friend's bro is getting shafted by this situation. He's been saving for a long trip to Scotland for two and a half years, and he was finally supposed to go tomorrow.

The good side is, this way he can join us for a Monty Python movie marathon.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

:eek:hwell:

Ross

Ross

phil

phil

A large object erupting unexpectedly and ruining a European's night?

Sounds like my prom night!

#penispunfordare number 3 for 4-17-2010

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh man, it's gonna be a cold summer :( What with all the frickin' ash up there.

On the other hand, there'll likely be some mighty pretty sunsets and sunrises :)

Dusty668

I dunno maybe we outta throw Al Gore in the volcano just to make sure...

Matt²

a volcano combined with all his hot air and vitriol would only make things worse!

I've been reading that they think this could go on for MONTHS?! Wow, that's bad news.. Perhaps I've been watching too much Star Trek, but what about a controlled explosion to make the volcano collapse back onto itself and close the breach? The problem is I think the only thing powerful enough to do that would be a nuclear explosion?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

A large object erupting unexpectedly and ruining a European's night?

Sounds like my prom night!
*thumbs up* Heh, looks like this is catching on. I approve.

Zarvox

a volcano combined with all his hot air and vitriol would only make things worse!

I've been reading that they think this could go on for MONTHS?! Wow, that's bad news.. Perhaps I've been watching too much Star Trek, but what about a controlled explosion to make the volcano collapse back onto itself and close the breach? The problem is I think the only thing powerful enough to do that would be a nuclear explosion?[/QUOTE]

Because then it would be much, much worse next time?

Matt²

a bigger hole would make it worse?

Rob King

Rob King

This is so cool. I can't wait to see how this affects weather patterns for the next year, and how the environmentalists will respond. We even got some fantastic literature out of the Mount Tambora eruption in 1815, including my favorite poem, so I'm excited to see what kind of cultural effect this is going to have, as well.

Dusty668

Do you think they might be better than this:

Better lava me now, or lava me not!

Ross

Ross

In case you didn't know, lightning + volcanic eruption = win

reference:

LordRavage

In case you didn't know, lightning + volcanic eruption = win

reference:
This picture makes me miss Mordor. *Sigh :(

Wahad

Wahad

I've been reading that they think this could go on for MONTHS?! Wow, that's bad news.. Perhaps I've been watching too much Star Trek, but what about a controlled explosion to make the volcano collapse back onto itself and close the breach? The problem is I think the only thing powerful enough to do that would be a nuclear explosion?
That's what I'm fearing. I'll be seeing my girlfriend this summer - in America. This requires me to fly over there. If that's gonna be ruined I will be so pissed.

Of course, it might be simple unfounded paranoia, but still...

Zarvox

Maybe I misunderstood your suggestion, but think about this for a moment –*volcanoes erupt when pressure gets above a certain limit (basically, the strength of the rock holding the lava in). The higher the limit, the more catastrophic the eruption. This is what happened at Mt. St. Helens; the pressure built and built and built, and all of a sudden, an earthquake weakened the mountainside. Then, all that pressure was able to escape, resulting in a cataclysmic explosion.

Now, we've got a volcano that (to the best of my knowledge) is erupting fairly normally. In other words, the pressure is already quite high. You want to seal it up under hundreds of feet of rock to stop the current eruption, forcing the pressure to build even higher. And higher. And higher. Until all of a sudden, the rock can't hold it anymore and –*

I'll leave the Michael Bay sfx to your imagination.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So what you're saying, Zarvox, is that it no longer looks like a peaceful planet? Make up my mind!

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

It was the first, but that second one looks pretty awesome, too.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I hate to say this, but the second one looks 'shopped from the boundary of the land to the sky.

Matt²

Maybe I misunderstood your suggestion, but think about this for a moment –*volcanoes erupt when pressure gets above a certain limit (basically, the strength of the rock holding the lava in). The higher the limit, the more catastrophic the eruption. This is what happened at Mt. St. Helens; the pressure built and built and built, and all of a sudden, an earthquake weakened the mountainside. Then, all that pressure was able to escape, resulting in a cataclysmic explosion.

Now, we've got a volcano that (to the best of my knowledge) is erupting fairly normally. In other words, the pressure is already quite high. You want to seal it up under hundreds of feet of rock to stop the current eruption, forcing the pressure to build even higher. And higher. And higher. Until all of a sudden, the rock can't hold it anymore and –*

I'll leave the Michael Bay sfx to your imagination.[/QUOTE]

No no.. you misunderstand, or perhaps I didn't make myself clear... Maybe I'm thinking two ways to do it.. at first I was thinking just blow a huge hole in it and fill it in.. but after briefly reading a description of it, I think it would be better to make a hole bigger in the ICE, which is worsening the problem but also make it "run out of steam" so to say.. it's probably a temporary (seasonal) fix at best but other than bombing a glacier, how do you stop a volcano that threatens mega international travel?

Rob King

Rob King

Whelp, the phenomenon has crossed the Atlantic. Nine of 13 flights out of St. John's were canceled today, and there is warning that there might be more cancellations on Transport Canada's recommendation.

Dusty668

It looks like it's gonna be one of them things. What if it goes on for months? Welcome back to the age of the zeppelin?

coolbeans

If it goes on for months then I'm out of a job :(

Dusty668

Wow, this I did not know.

Apparently America is the land of Volcanoes. From this story:

I do not think that Europe needs to be stricter than a country such as America, where you have a lot of volcanoes erupting. Those people have a lot of experience and do not close the whole airspace,” Camiel Eurlings, the Dutch transport minister, admitted.

Wahad

Wahad

Wow, this I did not know.

Apparently America is the land of Volcanoes. From this story:

I do not think that Europe needs to be stricter than a country such as America, where you have a lot of volcanoes erupting. Those people have a lot of experience and do not close the whole airspace,” Camiel Eurlings, the Dutch transport minister, admitted.
http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/maps/world.png

He might be referring to the Mt. Helen eruption as well. That said, I do not believe volcanoes erupt on a regular basis in America, but somebody else might correct me on that.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I think the dutch guy needs to get a map and see how many times Europe fits inside the US...

And we do have some flights resuming anyway.