Export thread

Walmart Shopper Beaten To Death Over A Receipt Check

Hylian

Hylian

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090908/ap_on_bi_ge/as_china_wal_mart

BEIJING – Two employees of a Wal-Mart store in eastern China were arrested after a woman was beaten outside the store on suspicion of being a shoplifter and died, a state-owned newspaper reported Tuesday.
The China Daily said Yu Xiaochun died 500 yards (meters) from the store in Jingdezhen, Jiangxi province.
Local police said in a notice posted on their Web site that the 37-year old Yu was going home Aug. 30 when she was surrounded by five Wal-Mart employees — four men and one woman, all in their 20s — who accused her of shoplifting.
The police report said one of the men requested a receipt. But after Yu handed it over, she took it back, saying no one was wearing a Wal-Mart uniform and she didn't believe they worked there.
The report said they fought and Yu fell to the ground and was taken to a hospital, where she died Sept. 2.
A spokeswoman for Wal-Mart in China, Vivi Mou, said in an e-mailed statement to The Associated Press that \"an incident occurred\" between two security associates and a female visitor on Aug. 30, but the cause of death is still being investigated.
The company is cooperating with authorities and extends its condolences to the woman's family, the statement said.
Two employees, a man surnamed Liu and a man surnamed Yu, were detained, the police statement said. It did not give details about the other three.
The city police headquarters referred questions to the district police station, which referred them to the criminal department, where no one answered the phone.

:facepalm:

Espy

Espy

Holy crap.

Kitty Sinatra

China's just outsourcing their population control to Walmart.

What? Not funny? Not even a little? No? Damn.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

China's just outsourcing their population control to Walmart.

What? Not funny? Not even a little? No? Damn.
I laughed. :D

I

Icarus

Wow, ganging up on potential shoplifters!

As a teenager, I've been searched by store clerks and owners many many times. Thing is I DID steal sometimes as a kid but was never stupid enough to get caught and it was mostly small stuff (often toys whose packaging was already damaged and opened and wouldn't sell anyway) but when I got older (I stopped shoplifting when I was 12) I got searched all the freakin' time and at a certain point, it pissed me off like hell! I went to the same toy store a million times and half the time, I had to empty my pockets! I lost a lot of time plus it annoyed me that I was still seen as a thief even though I often bought stuff

Then one time, same store, I had bought a little box of fire crackers. Since it was only the size of a matchbox, I put it in my pocket and threw the bag away. When I then returned several hours later with a friend (I had shown the fire crackers to him and he was very interested in buying some too) I got frisked AGAIN on my way out. She accused me of stealing it (I had bought it from the owner, not her) which pissed me off like hell. One box like that cost like 50 cents! I threw her the 50 cents and said that I would never EVER go back there again. The owner came downstairs when he heard me yell (the store had two levels) and went as red as a tomato when he realised what had happened. He gave me and my friend 10 boxes of those fire crackers as apology but I still never went back.

In short: some stores really need to learn some freakin' manners. You can lose a hell of a lot more by treating people badly than by a few shoplifted items (especially since bad treatments will spread around like wildfires).

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Icarus I believe you're in one of those I wish I would have known situations. The store owners have no pwer over you to demand that you empty your pockets, just like the receipt checker at the entrance to wal-mart. They can ASK you show you them your receipt but you can ignore them and keep walking you aren't legally obligated to show them and they can do nothing to stop you unless they want a lawsuit