Water Shield - activate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

Water Shade by Yitu Wang » Yanko Design

This is pretty cool.. I want one of these. It's a tray with a fountain built in that's supposed to keep germs and flies and such out, and is infrared activated so it's supposed to keep your hand dry when you reach in for fruit... knowing me though, I wouldn't mind getting my hand wet as I played with it for hours! :D

Dave

Staff member
That's fucking SWEET!

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

*hotlinking like the bitch that I am.

Cool idea, but unless there's some kind of built-in filter, that water is just going to get dirtier, and dirtier, and dirtier if you live in place where your concern for dust and bugs is enough to consider something like this. Then when you reach your hand in, the off-flow will pour it all over your fruit.

M

Matt²

As mentioned in the article, there's sensors to stop the flow when you reach for fruit... but it could definitely make a unique bubble making device! >:D

As mentioned in the article, there's sensors to stop the flow when you reach for fruit... but it could definitely make a unique bubble making device! >:D
No, you're not following me.

The system works supposedly through water pressure to keep the dome up. When the sensors stop the flow, as the pressure drops, the water that's already coming out will lose it's dome shape and just fall on the fruit. Which isn't a bad thing if the water's clean, but is not especially helpful if the water's dirty, and the diagram does not mention a filter.

P

Papillon

No, you're not following me.

The system works supposedly through water pressure to keep the dome up. When the sensors stop the flow, as the pressure drops, the water that's already coming out will lose it's dome shape and just fall on the fruit. Which isn't a bad thing if the water's clean, but is not especially helpful if the water's dirty, and the diagram does not mention a filter.[/QUOTE]

If the water flow is cut off quickly enough, this should not happen. Like everything else in freefall, water flowing from the device will naturally follows a parabolic arc, with the curvature of the parabola depending on the water speed and angle when it left the source.

figmentPez

Staff member
If the water flow is cut off quickly enough, this should not happen. Like everything else in freefall, water flowing from the device will naturally follows a parabolic arc, with the curvature of the parabola depending on the water speed and angle when it left the source.
I think a smooth cutoff is just as important as a quick one. That's not something that's easy to do. If the water cut-off isn't exceedingly fast and even, then the sheet is going to warp and water isn't going to make it all the way to the collection area. I'm skeptical that such a smooth flow of water could be achieved, especially catching the sheet at the end of it's fall without splashing everywhere.

Even if it works as smoothly as planned, this still is pretty damn limited in use. It probably wouldn't work for long in any house with pets. We had a water feature/sculpture-thing given to us as a Christmas present, and it didn't run for more than a week or two before cat hair started collecting in the water. I'm pretty sure flowing water tends to become electrostatically charged and attract dust.

Why? The flow of air, much like this water one, wouldn't touch the fruit, it would be a SHIELD to stop other shit from coming in. It would work wonders on bugs and dirt, not so sure with germs. They use similar stuff in some places to keep mosquitoes out and shit.

I prefer this version. It's Y2K compliant, resistant to power outages and surges, comes with a built in food display and has husband avoidance technology included!

Yeah, HCGLN wins.. we just need an air-tight version of that... which is like 32657859912429523 times easier to implement than the proof of concept in the OP.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yeah, HCGLN wins.. we just need an air-tight version of that... which is like 32657859912429523 times easier to implement than the proof of concept in the OP.
I don't think air-tight is good for storing most fruit, certainly not bananas. They release ethylene gas which speed decomposition. If you want your bananas to ripen faster you put them inside a paper bag, which holds in the ethylene. This is also the source of the saying "one bad apple spoils the whole barrel/bunch", the ethylene from one older apple will cause the rest to go mushy faster.

C

Chazwozel

I prefer this version. It's Y2K compliant, resistant to power outages and surges, comes with a built in food display and has husband avoidance technology included!

i was going to say the same thing. What a fucking stupid invention. I can appreciate the gimmick factor though.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

I don't think air-tight is good for storing most fruit, certainly not bananas. They release ethylene gas which speed decomposition. If you want your bananas to ripen faster you put them inside a paper bag, which holds in the ethylene. This is also the source of the saying "one bad apple spoils the whole barrel/bunch", the ethylene from one older apple will cause the rest to go mushy faster.[/QUOTE]

Two words for you: Semipermeable Membrane. i.e. a plastic lid that allows gasses flow but keeps bugs out. Hell a glass, airtight lid would be just fine with a 3 piece airlock.

I'm sure such a thing would also cost a fraction of what that water shield might.

The technology of the water shield is kinda neat, but it just doesn't seem very practical for home use.

It's completely cool, but obviously useless in this sort of context. It'd be cool as a type of sensor-operated automatic door for a mall or some such, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.